East Coast Targa

matt205

Fellow Frogger
Just a heads up, the East Coast Targa is coming up, October 27-30. Basically a Targa Tassie style event but based in NSW.

Check out www.eastcoasttarga.com.au.

I should be there in the 205 and I know of at least one other Froggy competing. There was a competitor last year in a 604, so a few Froggies to follow.

Prologue takes place on some special stages on the Old Pacific Highway, then some events at Eastern Creek and Oran Park. From there we head west with some nice tight, twisty stages in the mountains then out to Bathurst. A number of specail stages at Mt. Panorama, including a sprint from Hell Corner to Murrays, basically a complete lap.

I'm looking for Sponsors if anyone is interested :roflmao: and may be on the lookout for a Navigator as well :eek: . If anyone wants to come along as support crew you are more than welcome. :D

Hmmm this sounds like my kind of event. Anyone know if you can get rental cars with towbars? Don't reckon the Mi16 would be too impressed with towing the MX5 1000kms and back again.

Cal.

Last edited:
Ahhh maybe not. Just saw the entry fee. :eek:

Cal.

now this is what i call targa in style

F1010018.jpg

Cal said:
Ahhh maybe not. Just saw the entry fee. :eek:

Cal.

Don't know how they can justify it ($5200), we will be asking a tad over $2000 for the Ampol Rerun and this goes for 4 weeks!
Even an ARC round is less than $2000 and these have a lot of oveheads
A State championship rally is less than $400, and once again a lot of of overheads.
It seems that the organisers of these bitumen events charge what the market will bear and make a packet.
Graham Wallis

Last edited:
matt205 said:
I should be there in the 205 and I know of at least one other Froggy competing. There was a competitor last year in a 604, so a few Froggies to follow.

long time no post for me.

Mat,

are you still going in your 205? The 604 has gone on the event for the last 5 years and the boys who drive it have a lot of fun. That car has been way up on 2 wheels around Eastern Creek and gets some nice air on many other stages :)

Last year there was a Renault5 Turbo in the event, which I think is going again this year.

Yeah im kinda annoyed, i would of liked to seen the start of the targa at hornsby westfield but i couldnt attend :(

BTW i did see a white 205 race car in chatswood during the week, could it of been anyone here?

Cyas STalled

Theres a display of the cars tonight in town, if I have time I'm going in for a look.

I had a look on their site at the entrants. Theres the 604, the Reno 5 and a 306 GTI-6 competing in it.

:cheers:

matt205 said:
may be on the lookout for a Navigator as well :eek: . If anyone wants to come along as support crew you are more than welcome. :D

if youre serious, ill navigate...

i do somtimes have a problem with my lefts and rights tho...

enthused! said:
if youre serious, ill navigate...

i do somtimes have a problem with my lefts and rights tho...

It started yesterday mate. :roflmao:

Cal.

STALLED said:
Yeah im kinda annoyed, i would of liked to seen the start of the targa at hornsby westfield but i couldnt attend :(

BTW i did see a white 205 race car in chatswood during the week, could it of been anyone here?

Cyas STalled

Yep that's mine.

We didn't make the start, turned up for scruitineering as a late entry only to be told they were not taking late entries, shame really. I busted my ass for 2 weeks to get the thing ready.

It's for sale if anyone is interested.

mat, do you have any photos of it, your car that is.. and how much would you bee asking??

BTW did anyone see the accident today, hope it will not cause problems for future events and that the nav will be ok.

matt205 said:
Yep that's mine.

We didn't make the start, turned up for scruitineering as a late entry only to be told they were not taking late entries, shame really. I busted my ass for 2 weeks to get the thing ready.

It's for sale if anyone is interested.

I just saw the Porsche go through its German turn-turtle exercise... it looked like it was on a section of the old highway west of Mt Lambie, or maybe even the old 40 Bends Hillclimb.

A tragedy, for sure, but these things are bound to happen when weekend warriors get out there in high performance vehicles and forget that they're still subject to the forces of nature.

Ray Bell said:
I just saw the Porsche go through its German turn-turtle exercise... it looked like it was on a section of the old highway west of Mt Lambie, or maybe even the old 40 Bends Hillclimb.

A tragedy, for sure, but these things are bound to happen when weekend warriors get out there in high performance vehicles and forget that they're still subject to the forces of nature.

And yet another tragedy involved with a bitumen rally. I would think this could be the last in NSW given the NSW Police Force's attitude in the past.
Graham

yes that is what i mean, I hope the event is big enought to absorb the accident and cause minimal problems in future events, I think we all remember what happened to the cannonball run.

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
And yet another tragedy involved with a bitumen rally. I would think this could be the last in NSW given the NSW Police Force's attitude in the past.
Graham

Were you around rallying when the big crisis hit in NSW in the late '60s, Graham?

I was rallying in that period, it was very difficult.

But rallying in those days didn't involve the speed and pressure it does today. One day there will be a huge accident in a European or African rally and they'll write off a hundred people and the ramifications will be felt around the world...

Your fears about 'tarmac' rallies are totally justified.

David206180... the Cannonball crash was pure and simple negligence on the part of the driver. It's possible that some of the result could have been reduced, but I don't think the crash totally destroyed the event's chances of being repeated.

I sometimes wonder at the safety issues with the Solar run down that same highway... lightweight and somewhat clumsily built vehicles on the same road as semi trailers and road trains...

Ray Bell said:
Were you around rallying when the big crisis hit in NSW in the late '60s, Graham?

I was rallying in that period, it was very difficult.

But rallying in those days didn't involve the speed and pressure it does today. One day there will be a huge accident in a European or African rally and they'll write off a hundred people and the ramifications will be felt around the world...

Your fears about 'tarmac' rallies are totally justified.

David206180... the Cannonball crash was pure and simple negligence on the part of the driver. It's possible that some of the result could have been reduced, but I don't think the crash totally destroyed the event's chances of being repeated.

I sometimes wonder at the safety issues with the Solar run down that same highway... lightweight and somewhat clumsily built vehicles on the same road as semi trailers and road trains...

I was just starting in 1969 and the ban didn't affect me.
I looked on in horror in 1992 when Targa Tasmania was instigated and sure enough, the deaths and injuries started to occur. Of course when anything happens in these events the coroners report makes recommendations which then flow down to the rest of the sport including navigational events!
Of course the Australian Rally Championship is going the same way with the very high speed roads being used, they are the only ones which won't cut up under the onslaught of high power and the new tyres being thrown at the cars at every opportunity.
The reference to the NSW police was in relation to one of the regions requiring crash bariers along the full length of the course!
Graham