Dumb, unoriginal question. But humour me...

lowpugV2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
So, I love cars. I have a particular and inexplicable love for Peugeot's. No family connections, no nothing - just bought a 306 instead of a corolla one day and that was it. The 505 I had cemented this love. And the subsequent 3 other 306's have proven that it's now incurable.

I also oscillate wildly over what I want out of a car, but I keep coming back to one thing. Tactility. I don't want big speed, mega power. I don't want the latest and greatest tech. I don't even really care for "sportiness".

I want a car that FEELS good to drive. The sound, the weight of the steering, the chassis moving around.

Currently, my N5 306 XSi fulfils a lot of this desire. As humble as it is. But it's missing the sound. The stock XU10J4R is, well... nothing special. There's no real intake growl and the exhaust is efficient yet characterless.

No I'm at the point in life where I don't need a second car (not really) and I could divert some money, although not a lot of time into building my own little ideal car.

A) I could keep the 306 - it's basically got a fresh chassis. but the engine is at 276,000. Do I refresh that, do a little exhaust work and even throw on some ITB's and an ECU

B) Find a good 504/505 and enjoy that*

C) Find a solid 205 Si or 405 and tweak that?

*The main limiting factor is that it would live on the street, so I'm leaning more modern, less valuable.

I realise this is basically thinking out loud and rehashing old topics. Apologies!

Attached is a link to sound inspiration...

If living on street you have to think of vestigial rust protection of 404 , 504 etc. Also that unless you are very lucky any one you buy will be rusted and need work. Rust work is either expensive or time consuming, depending upon skill set and how one goes about it..

THis said, I would personally always go for 404 or 504 as they tick all the boxes and don't have nasty modern electronics, but you would have to get ahead of the rust and stay ahead of it

On general principle, if you have a car with which you are happy and for which you know the history, fixing / modifying this has a lot to be said for it ( this was my logic in doing full restoration on my 404 ) Why not sort the 306?

Good luck

Andrew

Good god man, are you insane?
I’m keeping my Xsi until one of us dies (you know, like the blues mobile - engine drops out and all the panels fall off.... and that’s just me).
Do the exhaust work on your 306. Somewhere else I saw a comment that the Italian made 306 compatible exhaust components have a noisy blatt like an old Fiat. I’d suggest you start investigating that direction.
NOTHING else will drive like the 306 (idiot grin: “now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner”).

My choice (and it’s alway just personal preference more than anything) would be a sorted 405.
These were astonishingly good cars to own and drive (and I feel the usual less than optimal interior plastics won’t phase you seeing as you are happy with the 306).
Admittedly I did have the Mi16, which was so good it appeared to frighten Peugeot to revert to several only moderately good models for a few years 🙂.
I do agree with you being a little perplexed about just what it is that makes Pugs so likeable and breeds loyalty - even sometimes when your confused why (my 407 comes to mind).
Between my Peugeot ownership over the past 10-years I have had:
Subaru - truly awful boxer engine that manages to transfer every vibration though to the driver!
Holden Calais- a good car in many ways, but somehow a little barge-like and a little soulless
Audi A5 - the best performance car I have owned, and 4-drive made the handling really impressive, BUT a horrible car to own and pay for as everything that went awry (and there was plenty!) was expensive!
Commodore - as per Calais above
Kia Sportage - good car, just sooo not me…
I have returned to the fold and have a 2020 508gt!

Good luck with your journey 👍

Not so dumb a question. I really enjoyed all the responses.

Excellent replies! Thanks all. I'm surprised I'm not getting shot down in flames 😅
There is sense in this illogical pursuit it seems.

Given that in the last 3 years I've done a lot of work to the 306, then let's say that it stays. The other factor is I have a pair of new, Made in France front dampers to install.

Also, we'll ignore my itb idea, that's silliness but I would like some kind of induction sound.

I am actually wary of exhaust work as a GTi6 I had was deafening with its modified 3" exhaust ( I didn't fit it) and another time I changed the back box of another 306 and all it did was resonate and drone. So I'm interested in the anecdote relating to Italian spec components.

After that it's only minor cosmetic work that needs doing. Door trims restored from tuck shop arms to taut. Some minor paint fade on the bumpers. Yep alright, plans....

She does still make me smile

Attachments

• PXL_20210623_070700585~2.jpg
    PXL_20210623_070700585~2.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 111
My choice (and it’s alway just personal preference more than anything) would be a sorted 405.
These were astonishingly good cars to own and drive (and I feel the usual less than optimal interior plastics won’t phase you seeing as you are happy with the 306).
Admittedly I did have the Mi16, which was so good it appeared to frighten Peugeot to revert to several only moderately good models for a few years 🙂.
I do agree with you being a little perplexed about just what it is that makes Pugs so likeable and breeds loyalty - even sometimes when your confused why (my 407 comes to mind).
Subaru - truly awful boxer engine that manages to transfer every vibration though to the driver!
Holden Calais- a good car in many ways, but somehow a little barge-like and a little soulless
Audi A5 - the best performance car I have owned, and 4-drive made the handling really impressive, BUT a horrible car to own and pay for as everything that went awry (and there was plenty!) was expensive!

The family car is a b8 A4 wagon, 2.0t Quattro. It is quick, capable and soulless.

I like seeing a good restoration, particularly when the all-too-frequently-hard-to-come-by-crazing plastics present a creative 3D printing opportunity.:p

I like seeing a good restoration, particularly when the all-too-frequently-hard-to-come-by-crazing plastics present a creative 3D printing opportunity.:p
Not quite needed 3d printing yet but I did combine a cheap Chinese pattern part with the parts of the original power mirror/window switch to make one functional component. I think it's probably one of the few 306s left with a functional mirror control joystick thingy!

Not quite needed 3d printing yet but I did combine a cheap Chinese pattern part with the parts of the original power mirror/window switch to make one functional component. I think it's probably one of the few 306s left with a functional mirror control joystick thingy!
My mirror joystick thingy still works, but yeah, all the old plastic is becoming brittle.

I think it's a great question. A 306 is too heavy and the XU10J4R too difficult/expensive to turn into anything suitable, to make a 306 exciting. I'd find an Si and use that as a base. You could put your XU10J4R into that and it would be a very rewarding/exciting driving experience. Whether or not you add TB's etc., is another discussion, but that is an easy quick base to start.

The exhaust is very simple on a 205, with just a few bits of straight pipe. Mt preference is 2.25", 12" torpedo type resonator in the middle, and a centre offset muffler at the rear. If still too loud, or you want ultimate sleeper look, change the tailpipe to 2". I've done straight through on the rear muffler as well, but it's a tad noisy if the muffler isn't big enough. ie you can get away with it on a 405, as there's plenty of room.

405 is too heavy, same as 306.

Last edited:
I think it's a great question. A 306 is too heavy and the XU10J4R too difficult/expensive to turn into anything suitable, to make a 306 exciting. I'd find an Si and use that as a base. You could put your XU10J4R into that and it would be a very rewarding/exciting driving experience. Whether or not you add TB's etc., is another discussion, but that is an easy quick base to start.

The exhaust is very simple on a 205, with just a few bits of straight pipe. Mt preference is 2.25", 12" torpedo type resonator in the middle, and a centre offset muffler at the rear. If still too loud, or you want ultimate sleeper look, change the tailpipe to 2". I've done straight through on the rear muffler as well, but it's a tad noisy if the muffler isn't big enough. ie you can get away with it on a 405, as there's plenty of room.

405 is too heavy, same as 306.
Thanks Peter. I have had my eyes peeled for a good 205 Si. Now that we are opening up, so are the options. I didn't realise that the weight difference between 306 and 205 were so great, but yeah ~300Kg. That would be quite the performance boost by chucking a stock 16v in there.

I agree with Glenn's comments re. the 405 except for the pedal layout on a manual. Doesn't feel quite right for me !
Of course the major plus over a 306 is the ease to replace a heater core in a 405 so an auto. 405 for me.
Love both models !!!

What could possibly be better than a 306? One of my favorites, best would be a late XSi with the 16v engine or perhaps a Gti6.
But then again a 405 is also very nice car.
Or perhaps a 406 with the V6 and a repaired auto box

Just love the 306, we had about 5 in the family over time. Fantastic car, but for versitility a Renault Scenic can't be beaten and they drive wonderfully too if you don't mind some body roll?

Gosh all the french cars (Peugeots, Renault and Citroens) we've had ahve been delightful to drive and own; reliable, comfortable and just ... nice. But I have a soft spot for the 306 my first frenchy and still great.