Dumb question - size of standard XM tyres?

blomquvist

Fellow Frogger
Citronistas,

Just a quick and dumb question, as the big grey shark is away on sabbatical at the French Garage for a few days and I need to price some new tyres. Could someone please advise the standard tyre size on a Series 1 XM with 15 inch factory alloys?

Apols for cross-posting on the XM Yahoo list, but most of the regular posters will be asleep by now.

Cheers,

Greg:clown:

Greg,

My XM (a 1990 Australian-delivered V6 12V) is on 205/60 R15. The Australian supplement in my owner's handbook says the same thing, and so does the placard in front of the driver's door. The wheels are steel rather than alloy but I can't see that making a difference. The rims are 6J x 15, according to the supplement. The supplement also says that the tyres shall have a load rating not less than 615km or load index of 91 and a speed rating not less than V.

There is a slight complication though. The handbook proper describes different sizes for different models. Yours is a 4cyl petrol injected isn't it? Tyre sizes in the table in the handbook go like this:

4cyl carby and diesel non-turbo: 185/65 R15 87H
4cyl injection: 195/60 R15 87H
2.1 turbo diesel (no 2.5 in 1990): 195/65 R15 91H
V6 12V: 205/60 R15 90V
V6 24V: 205/60 R15 90Z

A couple of observations:
My handbook came with a 1990 build date car, and yours is later
As a private import, your car might have different wheels

I bought a pair of Michelin XM1's for the front of mine a few weeks ago from a Michelin dealer here in Bendigo at $160 each. Made it handle much better than the crappy Indonesian front tyres it came with. XM1 are the cheapest Michelins in that size and I think a speed rating lower than the car is supposed to have (they are H if I recall), but quite adequate given the speed limit. And the RWC bloke certainly didn't notice.

I am one of those people who would put nothing but Michelins on a Citroen.

It might be worth calling the garage and asking them what size tyres are on it at the moment and what size the placard says should be on it.

Roger

Thanks

Roger,

Thanks for the generous reply. I don't think the specs for the tyres had changed by mid '92, but I'll take your suggestion and call the garage to be sure. 195/60 sounds right.

The wheels are the 15" factory alloys that were part of the Prestige options pack, and I haven't seen them on Australian-delivered XMs (wonders if uploading an image will work at this point - flounders aimlessly at keyboard for a time...)
attachment.php

I was thinking of some basic Michelins, so thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• Citroen XM 1992 2.0i Prestige.jpg
    Citroen XM 1992 2.0i Prestige.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 260
blomquvist said:
195/60 sounds right.

The wheels are the 15" factory alloys that were part of the Prestige options pack, and I haven't seen them on Australian-delivered XMs...
Definitely 195/60x15 (you and I have similar cars, Greg) though apparently it wasn't unknown for 205s to be fitted on the line, depending on what was available at Rennes that day...:confused: :rolleyes: