DSpecial head scratching event

forumnoreason

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I am wondering what is going on with the steering column centering 'arm'. Where it should attach to the frame is actually closed section and theres no capture nut/thread where the hole is. Can't see anything in manuals or parts manual except size of bolt. Revelations appreciated as usual!
Steven

Attachments

• 6EAD9E3D-DD93-4D28-A32F-06CDF6C8A2A3.jpeg
    6EAD9E3D-DD93-4D28-A32F-06CDF6C8A2A3.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 92
Here's mine "factory fresh".😉
The bracket is sitting flat so I'm guessing there a nut on the back?

Resized_20230531_192259.jpeg

yeah but no but you canny get in there Jimmy.
I'll have a closer look in the morning, unless it's spot welded underneath?
I'll feel the bolt out with a spanner, but I don't want to end up in the same boat as you.😁
You could either use a hex head self tapper or drill it out for a nutsert.🤷‍♂️

Hmmmm, probably not going to help you any.
I undid the bolt a few turns. The bolt failed to lift up out of the bracket as I did so. When I went to retighten it, it nipped up within 1/4 of a turn.🤔
So either there is a threaded plate under there that is not captive or it is a worn self tapping bolt that needs pulling up as you turn it, to engage the "thread" in reverse.🤷‍♂️
I'm leaning to the non captive threaded plate but can't understand why it wouldn't just be spot welded in?
Sorry I can't be of further help but obviously I don't want to risk "losing" whatever mine has under there.

Good thing you didn't loosen that bolt too much GP, Darrin at Citroen Classics clued me into whats there.

the bolt has a nut and washer on the other side. And you can get in there and I have no doubt the cover panel over the suspension has to come off, and the handbrake cable could be pressing into things too. I've got to put this back on and it was years ago that I removed it! 😂