DS19 windows roll up too far

I haven't got round to my window setup as yet but this is all good information. I did know about the nylon parts DS 961-175n and was intending to model and print (in nylon) some new ones. Before I go to the trouble does anyone know if they are available as NOS and from where?

SF

The nylon guides are definitely available. I got mine from Brad Nauss in the States no more than 6 weeks ago, in order to tackle this job (my guides were completely disintegrated). You will need to measure the thickness of your glass before you order them

I haven't got round to my window setup as yet but this is all good information. I did know about the nylon parts DS 961-175n and was intending to model and print (in nylon) some new ones. Before I go to the trouble does anyone know if they are available as NOS and from where?

SF

Yes, readily available from the usual OS suppliers - note there are two widths to suit glass thickness. . .

Cheers
Chris

John,

If you have to put bushes on the screw threads to stop the glass going up too far, then you have the side rails up too high, and if you have the side rails up too high, then the glass won't pull in to help the sealing.

The side rail are easily accessed through the round and oval rubbers on the side of the door. They sit in vertical slots, and just slacken off the lock nuts and drop them down till the glass rises to the height you want?

BTW, the side rail changed to the ones with the top offset in 1957?

best regards,

Greg

Window guides are all the way down in the bottom of the slots. That was the first thing I tried. Door alignment is correct. Who knows what has happened to this door since it was made in 1961.....

Window guides are all the way down in the bottom of the slots. That was the first thing I tried. Door alignment is correct. Who knows what has happened to this door since it was made in 1961.....

Only other possibility I can think is that the glass is not fully retained in the lower channel? There is quite a bit of adjustment up and down with the slide channels and door alignment?

You appear to have a working solution, but as Greg has pointed out just check to see that the glass moves nicely against the door rubber for a good seal when fully raised. :wink2:

Cheers
Chris

Hi Guys,

Chris might be right, and the glass not sitting home in the bottom channel..........So many adjustments on a DS? But a bitch when you run out of adjustments. I have to admit I was a bit confused why someone with your knowledge and ability would resort to a non original solution!

I remember Jim Reddiex saying to me that he didn't know how they ever got them down the production line when they first built them.

One of the Sydney dealers used to spend considerable time realigning the body panels on every DS they sold.

Best regards,

Greg

Well, I have to admit I did not remove the window guides to see how badly the window stops were smashed, but I did tap the glass into the channel with a rubber hammer to make sure it was seated properly. The petrified rubber did not give much, but it appeared the glass was within about 1/16 inch of the bottom of the channel. Replacing the guides might have solved the problem. Maybe someday I will find a new set of guides to replace the existing ones now that I can get the window in and out and the door panel back in less than 30 minutes. Sometimes, however, you have to resort to non-original solutions. I hate to confess that on one occasion after struggling with a 5-speed SM shifter for hours trying to get enough throw in a worn out mechanism to engage both first and reverse, I finally took the Dremel to the shifter itself to gain that extra 2mm of throw to take up the lash in the system. The "original" solution would have been to replace the shifter, and possibly the mechanism at the gearbox, but the cost would have been astronomical. I elected to devise an alternative solution as I did here.
In the case of the DS19 window, heresy, perhaps, but at least I know the back seat passenger will not roll the window up too far and shatter the window. :wink2:

Hi John,

I can find a good set of runners if you want? Enough for a whole car?

best regards,

Greg
Hi Greg,
Thanks but the runners are fine…. But if you could send me a Magic Alignment Stick…..