Ds starter motor bolt!

All this over ONE bolt!!?? Yes, it is the bolt #6 in Budge's photo.

Threading a rod and welding a nut to one end is fine..... but the only rod I can locate is 8mm...... and that doesn't go through the mounting holes on the gearbox and block. I am NOT going to grind the entire length of an 8mm shaft down to 7mm.!

I hope that DoubleChevron is posting a bolt to me.. can only be better than 3 months for parts from Europe.
I got a shipping quote yesterday to send two rear boots - 80 Euro post!!!!!! They seemed miffed that I didn't proceed.
I'll wait for my regular ( if slow ) delivery from my usual supplier.

You don't need to grind anything if it is threaded rod. You can just run a M7 die all the way. It will work with no further effort. I mean it will take a bit of effort, but it will work.

If you want to make threading easier you can chuck the rod in a drill and run some sandpaper on the threads to take the crests away first.

Mind you, I wouldn't even consider grinding either. I would file it by hand and it would take less than 5 minutes.

What do you mean by "boots"? Tyres?

Good on you.

Germany has been funny of late with postage to Oz. Some companies flat out refuse to do it. DHL has put the prices up and most of the people who would still post would only do registered and insured so cost goes up quickly. You need someone on the ground there to help.