DS Safari Buying Advice

OnSafari

Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys

Just about finished my Porsche so I'm now looking at DS Safari ownership (something more "family" friendly :) ), and being new to the world of Citroens, would welcome any feedback for any obvious or not so obvious things that I should look at. I am also keen to contact any DS/ID owners in the Bendigo / Ballarat area to help broaden my Citroen knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Lyndon

Yeah, now what was his name??? It's on the tip of my tongue there.....:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

OnSafari said:
Hi Guys
I am also keen to contact any DS/ID owners in the Bendigo / Ballarat area to help broaden my Citroen knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Lyndon

Sounds like me. I live in Mandurang South. Call me at home on 5439 4841. I know of only one DS owner in Bendigo besides me.

The moderator of this forum lives in Ballarat, but that is such a long way away. Why would you want to go there?

Roger

Thanks Rodger

I will call next week, I am actually living in Mandurang myself!

Lyndon

The Safari is a great car to own, things to watch for are rust, rust and rust, then mechnical condition. Some of the unique safari parts such as rear glass and some trim are getting hard to get, most parts for d's are still readily available.

Bear in mind that many safaris have had years of hard use as they are so versatile. Good ones are getting hard to get and well worth spending some money on to get into good order.

Gee's thanks Guys,

yeah give Roger a ring, I don't even have a decent DS for you to go for a drive in. I'd recomend NOT driving Rogers '59 DS19 ..... You'll just HAVE to have one if you do ... And there's only a few 50's DS19's in Australia, and none that I know of are for sale :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'd recommend taking your time and waiting for the right wagon to come up ... Could be a long wait, but very worth it. The best thing to do is buy the very best DS wagon you can find (even if it costs lots) and upkeep it at it's current standard.... It'll far cheaper than restoring one that may never get finished.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Lyndon,
There is a '74 DS 23 5 speed Safari coming on the market in the near future.
This car has been FULLY restored and is possibly one of the best ones in the country (it has not been "tarted"up unlike some safari restos I have seen in recent times).
The car will NOT be cheap however if you want something that looks and drives like a new car this could be the one for you.
If you require any further information give me a call on 07 3807 5781.
Regards,
Brian.

While we are on this Safari talk I just wondered about the rear glass. We own a '68 Safari which we use for our highway car as it has the ID 19B box of that '67 - '68 period which has a high 4th gear.
We love it and bought it basically restored for "big bikkies". I have had two rusty Safaris in the past and we yearned for a this good one, with the cream on the cake being that it was of the earlier years albeit still with the twin headlights.
Anyway, we just bought a '63 Safari . At this stage it will reside in a garage in Daylesford, Victoria (near Ballarat - Bendigo as it happens) as we have stuck our necks out to buy this block from my brother who resides in Melbourne. This is about 1100 miles from us in Brisbane so a bit of a folly.

This '63 ID is missing the rear PLASTIC glass. This perspex or whatever you might call it is light and original to the earlier Safaris.
Is it normal to have one made up or do I have to try to find an original is my question
I would appreciate any feedback.
I would like to fix this car to be a long distance cruiser for which they are so good for.
All the best, John Paas.