DS not running,no hydraulics, how do i keep suspension up to move vehicle

levit8

Fellow Frogger
hey guys,
recently bought a late d sedan but its a non runner and hydraulic hoses are broken so cant use a drill to
raise vehicle with hydraulic pump
so basically after advice, tips etc on how to keep the body up so i can move it, load and unload from a car trailer from anyone who has done this before (or any links to info)
any help appreciated
jeff

Find a witch steal her broom stick.
Cut into 50mm lengths.
Jack car up to high remove suspension spheres,
insert pieces of said broom stick in ram tubes,
refit spheres or temp caps and you have a high rider with no suspension.
Note you still have no brakes or power steering and caution tie car down by wheel straps or to suspension arms as body pick up points are very very weak,
good luck

Get a standard trailer (no beaver tails or tilts ... they suck). Most trailers these days have decent length ramps as modern cars are quite low. Chock all 4 trailer wheels and unhook the trailer from the car. As you winch the DS onto the trailer, the weight of the front of the car will tilt the trailer towards the sky, as the car rolls on, the trailer will slowly lower itself back down onto the towball. This should load most D
s onto most trailers.

seeya,
Shane L.

ok forgot about the sphere removal tip, have been told that before but yet to try it
also appreciate trailer trick but last time i done that ended up putting a big dent in my mates hq panel van tailgate
when trailer decided to move
will try broomstick method first as loading should be straight forward once i have ground clearance
thanks guys

I have done in multiple times just like shane but i dont unhook the trailer instead i reverse the tow car backwards up some car ramps which make the rear of the trailer almost hit the ground then just winch it on

ok forgot about the sphere removal tip, have been told that before but yet to try it
also appreciate trailer trick but last time i done that ended up putting a big dent in my mates hq panel van tailgate
when trailer decided to move
will try broomstick method first as loading should be straight forward once i have ground clearance
thanks guys

Um... you need to chock all four wheels like I suggested :clown:

seeya,
Shane L.

Does the link to your pics and explanation still exist?

Gee's ... look how shitty digital camera piccies were back then :roflmao:

http://shanescitshed.com/deadcit/deadcit.html

I should update that webpage someday. I should stick on youtube how I load flat hydraulic cars onto the car trailer here ...... You don't have to be insane, but it does help :clown:

one thing you missed shane, when the trailer has drop back onto the ball make sure you lower the hitch handle before driving otherwise there will be a disaster

one thing you missed shane, when the trailer has drop back onto the ball make sure you lower the hitch handle before driving otherwise there will be a disaster

Yep, and the safety chains and wiring connector. It would probably pay to tie the car onto the trailer and remove the ramps from the back too :clown:

Not a homing witch?

You are best to get some dead late spheres as the broomstick can damage the sphere damper if you are not careful. It also needs to be a very clean broomstick to avoid debris in the cylinders. Most of the weight of a complete DS/ID is in the front, so take that into account when trying to winch it onto a trailer and jacking it.

Also, don't tie one of these cars down to a trailer by the body if it can be started by anyone forgetful or just not understanding the system. Car transporters could make this error and then rip the body towing points etc. out when the car tries to self-level. Tie it down by the wheels plus safety chains on the suspension.

will do the broomstick trick but was going to put flat washers at either end to hopefully take pressure off ends of broomstick
thanks again guys

Not a homing witch?

You are best to get some dead late spheres as the broomstick can damage the sphere damper if you are not careful. ....

Aha, that's what I have been told and I've seen a couple of pressed damper spheres ruined this way - you can see the damaged 'shim'.:(

I wonder how the cars were set-up during motor shows, or were they flat on the ground?:confused:

Aha, that's what I have been told and I've seen a couple of pressed damper spheres ruined this way - you can see the damaged 'shim'.:(

I wonder how the cars were set-up during motor shows, or were they flat on the ground?:confused:

I have a set of water pipe sections ~45mm long and from memory about 25mm dia and some machined aluminum strut caps result no damaged spheres but I have to move a few dead ones around

just want to say a big thank you to everyone for there advice and especially Shane L. for his almost taking offense to my lack of enthusiasm in testing his unhooked trailer method which motivated me to look into it further
basically could only remove one sphere to do the broomstick trick so tried doing it his way
actually worked amazingly well for both loading and unloading
only thing extra i done was kept trailer chain hooked up and that served to limit and hold the trailer stable at a critical stage (as well as
wheel chocks)
so car is relocated, nothing was broken, nobody was hurt, all good :banana:
thanks again :)

just want to say a big thank you to everyone for there advice and especially Shane L. for his almost taking offense to my lack of enthusiasm in testing his unhooked trailer method which motivated me to look into it further
basically could only remove one sphere to do the broomstick trick so tried doing it his way
actually worked amazingly well for both loading and unloading
only thing extra i done was kept trailer chain hooked up and that served to limit and hold the trailer stable at a critical stage (as well as
wheel chocks)
so car is relocated, nothing was broken, nobody was hurt, all good :banana:
thanks again :)

Hi there,

I too followed Shane's post to retrieve an ID19 and it worked a treat. Thanks Shane for all your contributions and the inspiration of the "best ever ID" thread.

Regards,
Leconte