DS motorsport in australia

petermelb

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone have any information on DS involved in motorsport in Australia ?

There are some articles written about the London- Sydney and Bianchi, but I have seen very little about other involvement.

I recently got copies of pics of ID at phillip Island in early 60's, and what looks like rallying in the outback,

Any infomation of motorsport particularly when the DS was new would be very helpful for a magazine article i am writing.

petermelb said:

There are some articles written about the London- Sydney and Bianchi, but I have seen very little about other involvement.

I recently got copies of pics of ID at phillip Island in early 60's, and what looks like rallying in the outback,

Any infomation of motorsport particularly when the DS was new would be very helpful for a magazine article i am writing.

I still have the brochure printed to celebrate the 1974 World Cup Rally win (equivalent of Paris Dakar in those days) won by the Brisbane DS23 of Jim Reddiex, Ken Tubman and Andre Welinski. They won by a huge margin (about 21 hours i think) and the only car to cover the entire course unassisted.
Was a magnificent win.

petermelb said:

I was chatting to Brian Foley the other night. I knew that he had been pretty involved in Alfa motorsport in days gone by, but didn't realise that he raced a (correct me on the model if needed) ID19 at the Armstrong 500 Bathurst in the early 60's. He laughed that the car was pretty slow, even for back then - but it finished the races.

We had Bill Buckle, as in Buckle Toyota, Sydney, talk at a club meet a few years ago. He would be a good one to contact as he raced Tractions and Ds I believe.

It would also be worthwhile contacting Jim Reddiex in Brisbane and I will also put you in contact with Paul Playoust of our club, who does some history gathering through ATECO for Citroen at present.

petermelb said:

hi peter,
this must be the automotive equivalent of rocking horse poo. citroen/motorsport australia = oxymoron
You may already know this, autopics have quite a few photos of the Phillip Island IDs and a couple of the London-Sydney cars (www.autopics.com.au)
I recall that in Phil Irving's autobio there is a hilarious story of competing in a Redex(?) event in a DS19. The gearbox cracked and had to be continuously replenished from a drum inside the car. I cant remember the title but any good library could source it.
Then it's fast foward to the Ampol trial(s). I think there has been a recent thread on this on either this site or the citroen forum.
Other than these refs my file is empty.
regards
roger brundle

UFO said:
We had Bill Buckle, as in Buckle Toyota, Sydney, talk at a club meet a few years ago. He would be a good one to contact as he raced Tractions and Ds I believe.

It would also be worthwhile contacting Jim Reddiex in Brisbane and I will also put you in contact with Paul Playoust of our club, who does some history gathering through ATECO for Citroen at present.

Hi Craig,
you might suggest that Paul Playoust contacts me as I have some early Melbourne Citroen material that may be of interest.
regards
roger brundle