DS main muffler wanted

My local Muffler guy made me one from S/S, it was $500. It doesn't look exactly like the original, so what?

Stainless is usually not as quiet as a mild steel equivalent. Get the repro items, including the flat muffler under the boot. Franzose will cut the intermiediate pipes in half for post and then you weld them back together here.

Stainless is usually not as quiet as a mild steel equivalent. Get the repro items, including the flat muffler under the boot. Franzose will cut the intermiediate pipes in half for post and then you weld them back together here.
yep I bought the silencer the flat one at the back with the intermediate pipes from citrotech and yes he had to cut them

Try the muffler man in Melbourne at 03 9529 7722. I have had very good service from him for my d special and I remember him telling me he could get NOS exhaust parts. He sure has an impressive inventory of stuff all over every wall and ceiling space in his workshop...

Do they sound very different with the extra rear muffler? I'd avoid fitting it if at all possible. All its going to do is fill with condensation the first time you start the car ...... and never get hot enough to dry out. It'll need to be endlessly replaced :(

Someday when I have some spare time, I'm going to make my own DS muffler. It can't be that hard :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

We have one in Melbourne but locked down for a week before I can take a photo and send you. mob is best 0400592208 Ted Cross

Try the muffler man in Melbourne at 03 9529 7722. I have had very good service from him for my d special and I remember him telling me he could get NOS exhaust parts. He sure has an impressive inventory of stuff all over every wall and ceiling space in his workshop...
Thank you i will call tomorrow

Last edited:
Do they sound very different with the extra rear muffler? I'd avoid fitting it if at all possible. All its going to do is fill with condensation the first time you start the car ...... and never get hot enough to dry out. It'll need to be endlessly replaced :(

Someday when I have some spare time, I'm going to make my own DS muffler. It can't be that hard :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.
They are not bad makes the car quieter. i used them in the past and dont cause any issues the water gets pushed out

New mufflers typically have a tiny drain hole drilled in them to let moisture out.

I purchased some shitty old sliding sheds doors in ballarat that I still need to pickup ... anyway they were being changed on a shed "Berklee" is going to use. I walked down the length of there shed next door ............................... exhausts .... bloody exhausts everywhere. They still make them from scratch, right here in ballarat. I even spotted them rolling the muffler shells down the back. Bloody amazing .... I just assumed EVERYTHING came in from china these days. I asked him about classic car mufflers, and he said they have done small runs in the past.

So if anyone is interested in getting a batch of DS mufflers made up, they could be a place to consider. I have no idea on price.