DS clutch problem

Bruce Tatt

Tadpole
I've got a 1974 DS, had it about ten years, in that time it has broken at least 8 clutch cables.

Is this a common problem, our mechanic doesn't seem to have a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

I'd probably check the route the cable is taking. There must be somthing there causing it to break. I'm guessing the clutch itself works ok ??

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Bruce,

It seems to be a common problem with the 'aftermarket' cables :( - are yours breaking, and if so in the same place, or is the ferrule on the end coming off - that is common with local ones, as they don't seem to be able to get them on strongly enough for the load involved.

The cables seem to be one of the more often replaced items on a D.

8 is too many though, despite the fact that the RHD clutch on a manual is a bit of a bodge job :wink2: .

Paul

One of our gurus, Herman Jansen, always silver solders the ends on the cables to ensure they stay put better.

One other tip is to ensure that the cable runs into the retainer at the clutch end at exactly right angles to prevent rubbing. Also some grease down the cable before fitting helps reduce wear.

Check that the clutch end of the cable is able to swivel, the ferule fits into a square block which must be able to turn on the clutch arm, often this gets seized and causes a broken cable.