DS cabrio spotted in Toorak

dogboy

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
sorry about the photos...twas a little dark...It is a DS21 owned i think by the Bardas family (who used to own sportsgirl)
Pity we don't see it at any Citroen displays....
Cheers

Attachments

• DSC01330.JPG
    DSC01330.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC01334.JPG
    DSC01334.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 400
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Never knew there was one in AU :eek:

That's because most of the owners don't actually display them...a shame really....I believe there are up to a dozen real cabrios in Aust. and a few replicas from the uk (DS conversions)
Cheers

So Andrew, have you bought this one yet?:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :tongue:

funny you should say that.....I did leave a note offering 8 citroens (none going!!) :crazy: and Jenni....hell I'd even throw in a Aussiefrogs sticker...
will keep you posted :joker:

dogboy said:
hell I'd even throw in a Aussiefrogs sticker...
will keep you posted :joker:

:eek: You must be serious.... the sticker would surely clinch the deal :clown:

That's a pretty impressive 'spot' Andrew, to see a DS cabrio at an organised event is rare but to see one on the road - amazing!! :citplak:

Cheers
Chris

I've got a photograph of a DS Cabrio my grandfather had for a little while in Sydney. When I find it I'll post it up. It looked amazing.

dogboy said:
sorry about the photos...twas a little dark...It is a DS21 owned i think by the Bardas family (who used to own sportsgirl)
Pity we don't see it at any Citroen displays....
Cheers

Yep - thats the 'Sportsgirl' one.
No one who drives it seems even remotely intersted in talking about it or displaying it, (let alone being in some club or other) their aloofness has put off several people who have tried to be nice to them over the years.

I think there was a short article about the car in a newspaper about 15 years ago. I recall the owner Bardas was wise enough to go to the docks and drive it to the dealers himself prior to 'predelivery' presumably so the car wouldn't get the Ferris Beuller treatment by the wharfies.

It would have been purchased though the old Dutton's family firm in the early '70s when the ausie dollar nearly had parity with the UK pound and we had FULL employment here.

wow...a DS UTE !! :wink2:
I wonder if it would be possible to make a CX Ute?? :tongue:
I guess if you have enough of the folding green stuff, and the time...you can do anything.
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cheers: :cool:

DS ute

That DS ute is owned by Pat Corum (who is a mate of Jeff Dutton) He often uses it to carry stuff around for Duttons....
I believe Pat is a builder so it would come in handy!!
Cheers :cheers:

macquered said:
I've got a photograph of a DS Cabrio my grandfather had for a little while in Sydney. When I find it I'll post it up. It looked amazing.

I found the pics. This car was sold to a Tom Holt who ended up near Toowoomba way. I beleive Tom has passed but does anyone know if this car still exists?

It was delivered by my grandfather sometime in the mid-late 60's.

dscab3.jpg

dscab2.jpg

dscab4.jpg

I and a couple of others certainly know where that car is. It is part of the Hayezyhuth collection at Gayndah in Queensland.

AFAIK, Tom Holt was the brother of he who went for a one way swim.

The legend goes that Les and Peter knew that the car existed, took years to track it down, then years to convince Tom's widow to sell it to them. That is a very shortened "take Les's parts of the story out" version.

The car is in very good hands and since their acquisition some years ago has had a respray, is mechanically perfect and is only awaiting a new hood.

I will have a search for digi pics I have of it.

Brendan, this could be the basis for a good story for the Chevrons. Am I correct in understanding that your grandfather owned it? Was he the first owner?

Wow, it's great to learn it is still around and in good condition. I'd love to see some pics of it in its current state.

Grandpa only delivered it through his dealership as far as I know. R V McPhail of 6 Cook St, Forestville.

I don't know if all Citroen dealers did this back then but he had an LHM sticker made up with his business stamp the he fixed to all cars delivered.

Below is a hastily scanned ad he ran in the SMH back in '66.

ad.jpg

I found a few old DS + GS reviews that the SMH published back then but I didn't get time to scan them. Really interesting stuff. I'll have to get you a copy Craig.

Great photos Brendan and fabulous copy in the ad of your grandfathers....
if only ads were that evocative now!!! :)
Craig is right....you should compose a story of his dealership and your adventures in the cabrio....I for one would love to read it
Cheers
:cheers:

I wonder if it would be possible to make a CX Ute?? :tongue:

If you go to France or find any French sites on the Net there are loads of weirdo things the French do to these cars. I have a seen a massive XM with about 10 wheels on it absolutly Horrific stuff....:nownow:

Sweet DS cab ....

Now with a little colour correction and grain surgery - best I can do in 5mins.

- xTc -

Attachments

• dscab3-2.jpg
    dscab3-2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 346
Aah thats much better, thanks! I didn't have much time to correct it last night, plus I'm not really good at it.

Mum will be pleased. She's the one in the orange dress.