DS brake shudder

KAndy

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
I’d rebuilt the height correctors, all riding very smoothly, reasonable pump time (~30 seconds), taken her (‘74 DS23) on a great drive up the Dandynongs and then started getting brake shudder on the way back home. Hasn't happened before… I had bled the lines before the road trip but appreciate any hints and leads on what to look for before I start pulling bits off and apart…
Simply getting a shuddering from the front brakes as I pull to a stop at speed, not noticeable at lower braking but uncomfortable under heavy braking.
In anticipation- thanks (yet again)
Andy

was it raining? I've had brake shudder while you wipe the layer of water from the discs. (along with no doubt dodgy engine mounts :clown: ).
I'm thinking LHM on the discs for sure though.

I agree with all said above - particularly the LHM suggestion.

Maybe some brake cleaner spray will assist in removing any residue?

I agree with all said above - particularly the LHM suggestion.

Maybe some brake cleaner spray will assist in removing any residue?
i'm wondering if getting the brakes nice and hot didn't just lift previous oil contamination out of the pad material?

Reactions: UFO
Apart from pads, rotors, may as well add calipers applying uneven pressure

Didn't leave the handbrake on by accident?

Thanks Gents, I’ll start with looking for evidence of a LHM leak, that seems the most likely and escalate from there
handbrake was definitely off… :)

if there is no lhm leaks. get the brake burning hot a few times and see if you can burn off any contamination that might be in them :)

I've got party brakes. I checked the discs and found they were out of true. I've just sprung for a set of those DS 'brake grinding' discs. Pretty expensive to start with (considering i'm not confident they are going to help!) PLUS I got charged £36 import VAT PLUS the UK Royal Mail charged me £12 for the privilege of collecting the £36......

I don't think those will fix disc runout. More glaze busters. It may actually be the gearbox output flange that's out also. Or possibly both.