DS 5 Suspension Bleed

As long as there is no air in the brakes (ie: a brake delay) all should be fine.

He may need to prime the pump when he fills the reseviour, DS's however seem to self bleed there pumps quite well.

seeya,
Shane L.

The bleed screw is on the regulator, mounted on the left hand side of the engine, should be a 12 mm stud. (underneath the regulator is the accumulator sphere)

Run the engine, open the bleed about a half turn, you should hear a squeal as the air escapes, close and accelerate the engine for say 10 secs, then repeat a couple of times or until the squeal stops when you open the bleed.

If the car has run really low, you may need to prime the pump, this is done by emoving the suction hose and filter from the tank, holding the filter upside down and pouring LHM into the filter so it runs down the hose into the pump. The quickly put the filter back in the tank.

Of course, the above assumes you have fixed the initial cause of the fluid loss.

DO NOT remove the blled screw completely, there is aball bearing behind the screw which will fall out and dissappear :cry:

petermelb said:
The bleed screw is on the regulator, mounted on the left hand side of the engine, should be a 12 mm stud. (underneath the regulator is the accumulator sphere)

Run the engine, open the bleed about a half turn, you should hear a squeal as the air escapes, close and accelerate the engine for say 10 secs, then repeat a couple of times or until the squeal stops when you open the bleed.

If the car has run really low, you may need to prime the pump, this is done by emoving the suction hose and filter from the tank, holding the filter upside down and pouring LHM into the filter so it runs down the hose into the pump. The quickly put the filter back in the tank.

Of course, the above assumes you have fixed the initial cause of the fluid loss.

DO NOT remove the blled screw completely, there is aball bearing behind the screw which will fall out and dissappear :cry:

Thanks guys,

We will do as sujested and see how things go. The car is only started once a week as it is on club plates and does not get out mutch. The non lifting event is the first symptom he has noticed so hope adding LHM will fix it. No patch of oil on the shed floor and talking to uncle I am thinking he is checking LHM level without putting the car on full height, hence not enough fluid to lift. I will go out to his place and have a look for him as he is not mech minded.

I just joined the CCC NSW :wink2: so I will ask them how to get LHM here, as uncle wants to drive his Ds to Wagga to see others on the aniversary run to Canberra. Might even take my sons CX (registered today) for the day.

Thanks once again

Cooch :cheers:

Cooch Goodwin said:
Thanks guys,

We will do as sujested and see how things go. The car is only started once a week as it is on club plates and does not get out mutch. The non lifting event is the first symptom he has noticed so hope adding LHM will fix it. No patch of oil on the shed floor and talking to uncle I am thinking he is checking LHM level without putting the car on full height, hence not enough fluid to lift. I will go out to his place and have a look for him as he is not mech minded.

I just joined the CCC NSW :wink2: so I will ask them how to get LHM here, as uncle wants to drive his Ds to Wagga to see others on the aniversary run to Canberra. Might even take my sons CX (registered today) for the day.

Thanks once again

Cooch Cooch Cooch...

If only I had known that you need LHM. We just had a weekend run with the club and went as far as Binalong to the car museum. You could have zipped over in the CX and picked up the LHM. :rolleyes: (And seen some other Cits including 2 SMs)

UFO said:
Cooch Cooch Cooch...

If only I had known that you need LHM. We just had a weekend run with the club and went as far as Binalong to the car museum. You could have zipped over in the CX and picked up the LHM. :rolleyes: (And seen some other Cits including 2 SMs)

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :adrink: :adrink:

Cooch Goodwin said:
Hi Froggers

My Uncles DS has run out of LHM. :mad: After we re-fill the resivour do we need to bleed anything? If so where?

Hoo roo
If it has a hydraulic gear change there is another bleed point that relates to the front brake, double idle speed system just above the carby. Hook a plastic tube on it, return the other end to reservoir, open the screw slightly and with the engine running depress the brakes several times until the bubbles clear.

Another method, of which I have no experience, is to turn the car over and shake it violently. This brings the bubbles to the rear height adjuster which can then be cycled with the height lever, after inverting the car again.
I would be very suspicious of a car that has run out of LHM and has no obvious leaks. It could have ruptured sphere diaphragms or as I once witnessed, very soggy oily carpets when the brake pedal control cylinder split a high pressure seal

gerry freed said:
If it has a hydraulic gear change there is another bleed point that relates to the front brake, double idle speed system just above the carby. Hook a plastic tube on it, return the other end to reservoir, open the screw slightly and with the engine running depress the brakes several times until the bubbles clear.

Another method, of which I have no experience, is to turn the car over and shake it violently. This brings the bubbles to the rear height adjuster which can then be cycled with the height lever, after inverting the car again.
I would be very suspicious of a car that has run out of LHM and has no obvious leaks. It could have ruptured sphere diaphragms or as I once witnessed, very soggy oily carpets when the brake pedal control cylinder split a high pressure seal

Now Gerry the upside down method is just plain silly.

Uncle has only had the D for about 6 months and I suspect it was low when he got it. Oil lost due to little drips over time praps.

Mmmm anyone got the HULKs phone number.

Cooch Goodwin said:
Now Gerry the upside down method is just plain silly.

Uncle has only had the D for about 6 months and I suspect it was low when he got it. Oil lost due to little drips over time praps.

Mmmm anyone got the HULKs phone number.

Well it is obvious the Hulk tried this method at least once. He is green after all.