Drive Shaft Seals - Why are my NEW ONES leaking

Justin B

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

As you may or may not be aware, I recently replaced the clutch on my 205 gti 8/87. At the time, I replaced both left and right drive seals (even though they weren't leaking).

Now.. after 1000k's of a new clutch, both the left and right side are leaking.

What can cause this?

* They are seated properly as they are flush with the housing.
* My drive shafts (both sides) do wobble when rotating (on jack stands with no wheels)... but I'm assuming that there is no way that and drive shaft would be perfect...

Any thoughts would be great.
Justin

<small>[ 09 October 2003, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Justin B ]</small>

Had the same problem with my 306 i bought genuine seals and they leaked took the seal back to peugeot and they gave me 2 more new ones but had the same problem, i matched up some after market seals and havent had a problem with them at all.

Hi guys, I haven't worked on 306/205 driveshafts (but done plenty of others). A couple of generic tips for seal replacement is firstly to get some 1200 grit carborundum paper (wet or dry - grey stuff) and polish up the surface where the seal lips seat on the shaft flange/housing. Secondly, IF POSSIBLE, mounting the seal a millimetre or so below the surface of the seal housing will cause the seal lip to sit on a different part of the sealing surface. As it is, there's usually a groove worn and the profile of the new seal doesn't match this groove - result, leaks. Just make sure the design of the housing allows this, and the seal wont rub on the bearing etc. behind.

Hope this is of some help...

Stu

<small>[ 11 October 2003, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Stuey ]</small>