Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley

veels

Tadpole
Hi everyone,
I have a Peugeot 407Wagon STHDI Date of Delivery 22!08!2002 Registraton No: QLD 861 GVH, VIN NO.VF38FRHZ81418681
I need a Drive Belt Tensioner Pully. could get a new original one for $175. E-Bay Has lots of After Market ones for around $50.
Problem is witch one to buy, my Car does not comes up on any list. My bush Mechanic Quoited 4120 for one hour.
May be some one knows wtch one to get.
Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
2002? RHZ in the VIN is a DW10A diesel engine, used in a 406.

My Bush Mechanic said just remove pulley, read the bearing number, go to local bearing mob, get a new bearing, replace and refit.

Thanks,
A friend told me to take the Wheel off and remove the Polley, or has anybody a better idea?
Thanks

e

So it’s probably a harmonic balancer and they get expensive if it’s the oil filled ones start with the correct car 406 wagon and confirm part needed

Agreed.

The car model is uncertain, and it isn't clear if it's a tensioner or a harmonic balancer.

Could you supply more information? Is the car a Peugeot 406?

Thanks,
A friend told me to take the Wheel off and remove the Polley, or has anybody a better idea?
Thanks

e
Well veels I suggest you do not start any work removing parts till you are certain you know what you are doing. All these engines have specific methods to remove/refit the belts and particularly the pulleys/ballancer. If you f*ck it up and there is a failure and it gets expensive will the bush mechanic stump up with the money to fix it ?? Naah !
I think you do need to research it more than asking for random people on a forum to answer questions that do not have enough information given. Find a genuine parts listing with a VIN search and look at the diagrams to select the correct part and get the exact part number. Then get back with that to see how it might be changed.
Jaahn
For the other bush mechanics who might buy a new bare bearing and fit it in an idler. That could work or it might not, depending on wether the plastic pulley will last another lifetime or even if you can get the bearing out without splitting the pulley anyway. Not my choice of method these days. On Renaults never !:mad:

That VIN has a mistake and should be checked. It is one digit short too. Look on the body under the windscreen and possibly stamped somewhere else. Ignore the rego information VIN as it is not good. IMHO.
Jaahn

The bush mechanic could get into strife with the crank pulley/balancer. Engines aren't what they used to be.
My Bush Mechanic mate made a YouTube video for you guys on how to fix a Harmonic Balancer pulley
In situ if you can't undo the pulley bolt

Well what to say about that. I guess he said he paid 200bucks for the car and fixed it for 10 bucks so sell it on to another sucker for 1000 and hope it makes it past the end of the street.:mad: Hmm and not only that he made a utube video of doing it and published it. :oops:

Now just remind me what that pulley thingy is called ?? A harmonic balancer ! Gees what does that do ?
The circular device, made of rubber and metal, is bolted at the front end of the crankshaft to help absorb vibrations. It's usually connected to the crank pulley, which drives accessories like the air conditioner. The rubber inside the pulley is what actually absorbs the vibrations and keeps them at a safe level. In essence, the device is designed to help prevent crankshaft failure. It's also sometimes called a "dampener."
Ahh i see nothing important, so JB weld will be good for that job instead of that pesky rubber sh*t !!:confused:

I have worked in third world countries and seen quite a few dodgey fixes but not that one ! Anyway JB weld is way too expensive there so a bit of silastic out of a discarded tube would have to substitute probably.:D
Jaahn

This is corect VIN NO.VF38FRHZF81418681
I left out one letter, may be someone can find me one on E-Bay
Thanks for all the help.
Peter

This is corect VIN NO.VF38FRHZF81418681
I left out one letter, may be someone can find me one on E-Bay
Thanks for all the help.
Peter
Peter
My suggestion is to go to a Peugeot dealer and get the part number off their parts computer using a VIN search. Ask for a quote using the VIN and they will give it to you on paper.

Do you know exactly what item you need ? Is there doubt ? Has your mechanic positively identified the pulley or tensioner on the accessory belt drive, and not from the timing belt drive, or the harmonic balancer pulley.

When you have the correct part number then you can search for that number on line, ebay, any parts supplier here or overseas as they have lists matching the original part number.
Jaahn

Rightio then, the JB Weld strategy has got me thinking. I need a new left front brake hose on the D9 406. The existing one is working just fine, except that the outer black rubber sleeve is split. Sikaflex comes in black so why don't I just repair it? Who would know? Surely it'll be good for another 23 years.

Maybe the term "end of life" is over used. Maybe it's a matter of being more creative.

If you haven't a clue - get the clue!

Reminds me of a story i was told years back by a mate?
A cranky lady went to a Renault Repair shop in Prahran with her Renault 12 , had a basic service and the proprietor noted the brake pads were extremely low, virtually down to the metal.
The woman was telephoned and the situation discussed , quoted.
New pads were fitted and the old pads put in the bag on the passenger floor.
Car collected and everyone happy .
Days later the proprietor is faced with a screaming woman has had a second opinion.
Despite 1-2mm remaining on the pads the didn't need replacement.
My mate was called a "Dirty low life". And that she would never come back.
Mate was happy not to see her again!