don't you just love it...

nJm

Guru
1000+ Posts
When you go and inspect a used car (private sale) that has been "very well maintained", only to find that it hasn't been driven for 3 years, and its last 'service' was done by a mate "around 4 years ago". It didn't have any service books, and while I was driving it the guy said that he thinks it might need its timing looked at because his friend didn't know how to do it....

quite funny really, but a waste of my time.
:mad:

Nick,

Don't let him out of your sight.
I love buying cars off bods like that. They usually haven't a clue, aren't prepared to spend the dough to get a proper diagnosis on the car & usually just want to see it disappearing down the road. :rolleyes:
Some of the biggest bargains I ever bought came from similar set ups. Check it out thoroughly, ignore what they say is right or wrong with it & make an offer; you might get a surprise :eek: :eek:

Alan S

It wasn't a bargain - had no RWC, a cracked windscreen, really dodgy brakes, the muffler sounded like it had a hole in it (couldn't find one though) and the steering felt out of alignment.

How much exactly was it ?

Also if u are interested we are currently doing up a 1981 505 GR in Hobart putting a 504 TI motor and what not in it, would be willing to send it to Vic already registered in Tasmania ?

Ben

Originally posted by nJm:
<strong>It wasn't a bargain - had no RWC, a cracked windscreen, really dodgy brakes, the muffler sounded like it had a hole in it (couldn't find one though) and the steering felt out of alignment.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like my 505 STi that I just bought for $300 is heaps better. I think the only reason I got it so cheap is that the owner couldn't be bothered fixing the miriad of little things (e.g. bonnet catch adjustment, boot gas strut, rear shocks, rear vision mirror fallen off, deteriorated windscreen wipers, high beam not working, etc, etc). They're mostly all minor problems that cost little or nothing and take 2 minutes to fix or replace.

Dave

Originally posted by davemcbean:
<strong>

Sounds like my 505 STi that I just bought for $300 is heaps better. I think the only reason I got it so cheap is that the owner couldn't be bothered fixing the miriad of little things (e.g. bonnet catch adjustment, boot gas strut, rear shocks, rear vision mirror fallen off, deteriorated windscreen wipers, high beam not working, etc, etc). They're mostly all minor problems that cost little or nothing and take 2 minutes to fix or replace.

Dave</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which is exactly what I was trying to say Dave

:D :D

Alan S

Here are some cars for sale in melbourne Trading Post

505 5spd, $1000 94313954

604 auto 1978reg, no rwc, $1200 ono 98583916

505 GR 1982 5sp, rwc, fitted 504Ti engine, vgc
$3000 97546492

1982 7 seat wagon, on gas, new shocks, radiator, must sell this weekend $2400 or offer 59852774

1986 sedan 5spd, injection, gc, $4200 ono 0404 227213

1982 505 turbo diesel auto reg, vgc $5500 95617254

1990 405 Mi16 silver, manual, RWC 98974144

<a href="http://www.melbournetradingpost.com.au" target="_blank">www.melbournetradingpost.com.au</a>