does an air filter make a difference??

berzerker

Fellow Frogger
am thinking about getting an air filter for my clio

do you think it makes that much of a difference to the performance of the car and which ones do you recommend?

induction noise will sound better :)

aftermarket ones like k&n and bmc do allow better air flow, and last indefinitely (you do have to clean and re-oil them regularly), but i think without any other modifications you'll barely notice the difference :confused:

luan

To actually display the amount of difference, on a standard engine do a test.
Go into the surf, look at where the high tide mark is. Empty your bladder, then look and see how much further up the beach the high tide mark is.
This will be proportionate to the amount of difference an air cleaner will have on a standard, non modified engine. :nownow: :D :D

Alan S :cheers:

Go into the surf, look at where the high tide mark is. Empty your bladder, then look and see how much further up the beach the high tide mark is.
This will be proportionate to the amount of difference an air cleaner will have on a standard, non modified engine.

Alan that is the BEST, absolutely THE BEST quote I have EVER seen........ No rude language, just pure sarcasm.....

Jono :roflmao: :joker: :banana: :roflmao:

Alan S said:
To actually display the amount of difference, on a standard engine do a test.
This will be proportionate to the amount of difference an air cleaner will have on a standard, non modified engine. :nownow: :D :D

Alan S :cheers:

alan I think all performance shops should use that! I must use that when a person asks for a performance air filter! What a classic line.

Cheers Nick

So can i 'ave one Performance Air Filter.. Me mate said it would incress Me 'orsepwoer levels...

As has been said, induction noise will be better... more throaty, from what they say, Throttle response is better.. but i think the best way is to find someone who has done the conversion on a clio, and ask them about it.. See if they think it's worth it...
And what do you want from it anyways.. Do you expect it do give you heaps of power.. I think thats an important question, cause if it doesn't meet your expectations then you will obviously think you wasted some money...

where can I get a K&N for a 205 gti S1? with the special length tube also

ABSOLUTELY SENSATIONAL...

Do i have your permission to use this QUOTE at work...i do a few days at autobarn and u would not believe how many times i get asked this question (ie..how much power out of a pod?)......my normal reply is...NOT A LOT....in many ways ...playing with induction lenghts can probably stuff things up sometimes....ie...if not much torque bottom end...its pretty silly putting the filter pod close to throtle body.....ie.whichever way u fit,...it ll always be a compromise....but the original design can be trusted (although in the case of the 205 gti....i think the engineer was either taking some kind of medication and if he wasn t he should have been)....

on another note i have been just a little bit sarcastic with some of my customers....even earned the name Mr. Kilowat....why???

well when i get asked silly questions i tend to loose it sometimes....
ie...

chrome tip.....15KW extra
missile switch....good for 5kw
red underbody neons.....can add up to 40kw to things like hyundais....
monster tacho...well that can be good for atleast 10kw....
full set of jap stickers..blitz etc.......will easily get u an extra 7kw...

etc etc......

glad to find out most of these young types are GOOD sports about it....

cheers

dino

dino said:

Do i have your permission to use this QUOTE at work...i do a few days at autobarn and u would not believe how many times i get asked this question (ie..how much power out of a pod?)......my normal reply is...NOT A LOT....in many ways ...playing with induction lenghts can probably stuff things up sometimes....ie...if not much torque bottom end...its pretty silly putting the filter pod close to throtle body.....ie.whichever way u fit,...it ll always be a compromise....but the original design can be trusted (although in the case of the 205 gti....i think the engineer was either taking some kind of medication and if he wasn t he should have been.

What is wrong with the 205 Gti normal induction system?? :confused:

Cheers
Billy

dino said:

Do i have your permission to use this QUOTE at work...i do a few days at autobarn and u would not believe how many times i get asked this question (ie..how much power out of a pod?)......my normal reply is...NOT A LOT....in many ways ...playing with induction lenghts can probably stuff things up sometimes....ie...if not much torque bottom end...its pretty silly putting the filter pod close to throtle body.....ie.whichever way u fit,...it ll always be a compromise....but the original design can be trusted (although in the case of the 205 gti....i think the engineer was either taking some kind of medication and if he wasn t he should have been)....

on another note i have been just a little bit sarcastic with some of my customers....even earned the name Mr. Kilowat....why???

well when i get asked silly questions i tend to loose it sometimes....
ie...

chrome tip.....15KW extra
missile switch....good for 5kw
red underbody neons.....can add up to 40kw to things like hyundais....
monster tacho...well that can be good for atleast 10kw....
full set of jap stickers..blitz etc.......will easily get u an extra 7kw...

etc etc......

glad to find out most of these young types are GOOD sports about it....

cheers

dino

I agree all the above are all wank value. However I believe the induction kit well at least on my car is downright sexy better than putting a rear exhaust that farts and burbles, etc

I think MY4 has a K&N in his Clio, so you could maybe ask him.

I put a K&N in my XSi. I've noticed a slight gain in power... but nothing that is like wow this is to much to handle... They don't really give you any noise either, to do this you'd need something more like a pod system.

To really open up the airflow you'd probably need to change the exhaust.

It all depends what you want. :confused:

What is wrong with the 205 Gti normal induction system??

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING......IF u ve got get up in the morning to showel the snow around the car to get it out of the driveway!!!! same reason why u d want to run a 10-40 oil.....!!!!

this is my opinion ONLY so do not take it as gospel.....i might be wrong but having more than a metre of induction piping for a car that has such high low down torque doesn t make much sense to me (i m no engeneer though)....
Then there is the fact that the actual filter housing SITS directly above the exhaust,...worse still its a metal case which transfers a lot of the heat into the induction system.......measure the underbonnet temperature (filter sits high) on a 35degree day and tell me what u think of the 205 deisgn then...??

I think a good quality filter mounted near the front of the car and isolated/shielded as a proper cold air intake that uses low air pressure point of intake is a much better option and WILL deliver better (obviously marginal as alan suggested) response and hp output.....

well..,,,we mostly all agree it does sound better anyway....

cheers
dino

i think some will probably want 2.....but shit if they dont appriciate honesty then they desrve a beating.... ;)

cheers
dino

mi16_weapon said:
wow mitch!

it looks just like any other tacho, but it adds an extra 20hp!!!

im gonna get me one of them!!!

wtf is it??????

We all have had a laugh about this in another thread

Nick

briz205 said:
We all have had a laugh about this in another thread

Nick

Well it's so good, that we should POINT AND LAUGH this time... Well i have no idea what the hell it does OR how the hell it does it..
Hahahaha, just thought everyone could have a laugh, but it seems someone had already beaten me to it....