Dodgy Condensers -Citroen GS

& 22 µF microfarads covers most US marques & bosch Not so sure about Ducellier but should be similar.

That is way too high. I made a mistake above ignition capacitors are typically around 200nF so I was out one order of magnitude but you are out two orders of magnitude. That would dramatically increase the time the coil would take to build the field in the primary winding.

The leaky capacitor I was talking about earlier for instance measures at 270nF so it's only about 20-25% above the expected value.

Auto condensers are always stated in µF microfarads & 0.22 is correct.

Yea. You can specify whatever units you want just be careful with the decimal point.

22 microfarads is not the same as .22 microfarads (aka 220nF). You forgot the decimal point the first time around.

YEA indeed!
The horse is dead!
You don't win any prize.
60 years in the auto trade, when these components were everyday items, unlike now, never have I heard other than microfarad used in referring to auto capacitors or condensers. They were always referred to in whole numbers with the decimal point disregarded.
I didn't forget the decimal point & as pointed out above, it is rarely used, unless there's a nit picker looking to discredit others valid contributions.
The OP is not interested in this rubbish just what will work for him & that I provided.

Strange excuse and even stranger accusations.

You're not a trade forum and the decimal point was invented for a reason. How are we to understand what you say if you don't use it ?!

Ok, here is (hopefully) the final iteration of this experiment.
I ordered a new coil to see if condition of the coil was a factor. The new coil gave a slightly more stable arc at very low revs, otherwise there was no real difference. Pretty good for a 35+ year old coil I reckon!

Here is the final set up that I'm going to test on the car. The film capacitors are mounted on the coil, will long leads soldered on and anchored to in order to isolate the soldered joins and legs of the capacitors from vibration. see

Now for a long term test - will report back in a few years, or if it fails!

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions - particular schlitzaugen for the insight on the detailed workings of capacitors - very much appreciated :cool:

You're welcome.
I think we deserve a report after running various condenser in your car. I never ran this test in any of my cars with points ignition and now I don't have one anymore, but I promise if I ever get one again I will run a number of capacitors and see what happens. Say going uphill at high revs or on the flat, high speed, hard acceleration. I am keeping the crappy little condenser I found for that purpose. Like I said, it's all about the real loads an engine is putting on components, which you can not (or it is very hard to) replicate on the bench.