Do the 504 and 505 share the same rear suspension

Shobbz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Do the 504 and 505 rear suspension share the same components?

Especially the rear crossmember?

I found a 505 at the wrecker, hoping that i can canibalise the crossmember for the 504?

Looks the same, heard that it is the same?

Is this the case?

Springs compatiable? Not sure if I could do this myself though:)

thanks

shobbz

What could go wrong with your 504 cross member?
The trailing arms give a wider track and the drive shafts are longer in the 505.
The hubs are also different to further increase the track.
The bolts holding the trailing arms to the cross member are smaller in
diameter to allow the fitting of bushes with more rubber. This gives quite and improvement in ride for the 505.
The 505 rear end won't fit under the rear guards of the 504 except maybe with standard 5 inch rims. The 604 suspension will fit fairly well.

Graham Wallis

i think the only difference is the trailing arms
the track is wider on the 505s
dave will be able to tell you for sure
i could go out into the backyard and measure the 505 and 504 of rays here but it's dark all the way down near the back fence

Hmmmmmm, Would seem that I was wrong about them being the same:) Perhaps the components are the same?

Where my crossmember brackets colt bolt on, The holes there have been worn un evenly, causing the bracket that bolts on to the car under the seat to move around = noisy ride. This was the reason for the question initially, If the crossmembers are of different sizes its all good, Will just get the holes welded over and re drilled on my current crossmember.

If I do get the holes re drilled, how will I know where to re drill them? Atm they are widened by about 1-2 mill in all sorts of directions? Where could I centre the hole?

thanks

shobbz

Ray,

I think you should be called the travelling parts store.

Nick

Ray Bell said:
You do know I have a 504 rear crossmember etc in the trailer right now for you, don't you?

I will be in Brisbane next Thursday...

pugrambo said:
i think the only difference is the trailing arms
the track is wider on the 505s
dave will be able to tell you for sure

Graham is spot on. The arms are different (same as 604?) and the hub are also different (about 20mm more track per side).

Apparently you can widen the 504 track by either fitting just the 505/604 arms or just the 505 hubs, BUT (as Graham mentioned) you can't fit both because they won't fit under the guards. Apparently the 504 driveshafts have enough movement in the joints to cope with the slightly larger track if you fit the hubs. I got all this info from Steve Goodwin when I was talking to him at the Worm weekend.

I think fitting the arms alone may work better because that may give you the extra 1 degree of negative camber at the rear which 505 have over the 504. If your car is already lowered alot, then the hubs alone may be a better bet to avoid too much negative camber.

Dave

the only thing with a complete 604 rear end is they have extra braces on them going from the front to rear and i don't think they will fit under a 504
i have a complete 604 rear end here sitting on the ground if you need pics to compare the differences

here is a pic of the rear end out of a 604
it's not the clearest but if you know what the rear end looks like from a 504 you should be able to pick the difference between the two

Attachments

• 604 rear end.jpg
    604 rear end.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 198
Yeah the differences in the 604 crossmember/subframe were pretty apparent when I stripped that 604 a couple of years ago. Those big braces which go back either side of the diff are hard to miss. Then there's those rubber vibration damper things which look like wheels, which hang off the cross member. From the early 80s onwards, 505s have a similar rubber wheel hanging off the tailshaft outer tube. Personally I find it hard to notice any difference these things make. They remind me of Brockie's infamous "polariser". :D

When people fit 604 arms to a 504 they only use the arms. They keep using their original 504 cross member.

Dave

davemcbean said:
Yeah the differences in the 604 crossmember/subframe were pretty apparent when I stripped that 604 a couple of years ago. Those big braces which go back either side of the diff are hard to miss. Then there's those rubber vibration damper things which look like wheels, which hang off the cross member. From the early 80s onwards, 505s have a similar rubber wheel hanging off the tailshaft outer tube. Personally I find it hard to notice any difference these things make. They remind me of Brockie's infamous "polariser". :D

When people fit 604 arms to a 504 they only use the arms. They keep using their original 504 cross member.

Dave

The problem then is (as I said) the bolts are too thin and the trailing arms
will move around on the cross member. I had to get spacers made up.

Graham Wallis

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
The problem then is (as I said) the bolts are too thin and the trailing arms
will move around on the cross member. I had to get spacers made up.

Graham Wallis

..but I guess this could be solved by using a 505 crossmember?