Dixco Pro tester 7 Manual

JAJEA

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Any chance that somebody may have instruction on one of these. I don't know how many decades have passed since last used.
20230114_203115.jpg

Regards
John

Don't think it would be to hard to work out:

Red to battery positive
Black to battery negative
Green to negative terminal of coil

Then turn the knob to the required setting and read off the appropriate scale

Don't think it would be to hard to work out:

Red to battery positive
Black to battery negative
Green to negative terminal of coil

Then turn the knob to the required setting and read off the appropriate scale

Thanks Col, I was thinking more of all its capabilities; it did come with instructions. How's this used? It is in addition to the red, black and green.
20230115_154436.jpg

John

Back to mechanical distributors!

Dwell.
It's for points gapping, with 12v feed.

Connect the red lead to the ignition coil low tension, and the black (or green) to the disconnected low feed to the distributor. Turn over the engine. The meter reads the angle of rotation for which the points are closed. The car handbook will give the desired angle. The meter is in series with the points

To reduce dwell increase the gap, or vice versa.

Thanks Col, I was thinking more of all its capabilities; it did come with instructions. How's this used? It is in addition to the red, black and green.View attachment 215510
John
This is a shunt for the current. Remove the wire that feeds what ever you are testing, put the fork end where the wire came from and then place the wire under the black screw.

This is a shunt for the current. Remove the wire that feeds what ever you are testing, put the fork end where the wire came from and then place the wire under the black screw.
Thanks Col, may I say you've got one? Do you still use it?
With the advent of company cars, there's been no need to use a few of my collection of tools and gadgets but now, playing around with cars that I drooled about 50 years back; it may be time to dust them off.
John
John

Back to mechanical distributors!

Dwell.
It's for points gapping, with 12v feed.

Connect the red lead to the ignition coil low tension, and the black (or green) to the disconnected low feed to the distributor. Turn over the engine. The meter reads the angle of rotation for which the points are closed. The car handbook will give the desired angle. The meter is in series with the points

To reduce dwell increase the gap, or vice versa.
Thanks Seasink, yes back to mechanical distributors, they were good enough to go from London to Sydney but have to agree a thing of the past - the motor car has come a long way as we found out with the purchase of the latests Peugeot 508 GT

Thanks Col, may I say you've got one? Do you still use it?
With the advent of company cars, there's been no need to use a few of my collection of tools and gadgets but now, playing around with cars that I drooled about 50 years back; it may be time to dust them off.
John
John
I had a similar tool many years ago, but the meter movement got dislodged and was then useless so I binned it.

I have a hella one now that has a timing light built in that still get used occasionally.

I googled for a manual and couldn't find one.
I did find the following info that might help:
They had one manual that covered a range of models. They had at least Pro-Tester 4,5,7 and 10. Yours is 7. There may have been more. They all came with the same manual, you can see what it looks like in this US Ebay ad (for a complete tester with manual, look through all the photos for the pic of the manual:

Here is a link to how to use these types of devices - not specific to yours, but gives you the idea:

Hi JAJEA

This meter is only usefull for Kettering ignition system that were commonly used on vehicles until the early 1980's. Thats the system with 12V or 9V coil that has the primary circuit grounded via the contact points inside the distributor. There will also a condensor/capacitor in series with the contact points. The cam on the distributor shaft opens the contact points and the spring built into the contact points closes them as the engine is running.

As others have said increasing the contact point gap at full lift will decrease the dwell angle. And vica versa.

The dwell meter leads are connected in series with the contact points

Warning: Don't try and connect this meter to any electronic ignition system that doesn't use contact points, and has hall sensors or magnetic pickup etc as the trigger. These systems can have high voltages and currents on the primary side and can certainly give you a shock, and you might kill yourself.

Cheers.