Disconnected Ramblings

I've no idea what it is but there must have been fun fitting it.
View attachment 241924
Good job there Mike. Securicat!.jpg

Reactions: cjl
Now I should have known that. I have a whole folder of pictures of Mimi but in an old computer (not responding). This was a random untagged pic. Never heard who bought the car.

Many people subsequently claimed the invention of the retractable metal roof. German and American. A decade ago VW Australia claimed it as a German invention. I thought the background of that company and the fate of Georges Paulin were matters the Germans would prefer not to revive but nobody noticed. But here we have Georges Paulin's diagram for his patent application on the Citroen Rosalie.
I missed my chance to buy The Kelner Affair, the multi volume study of French aerodynamic designers and their fate at the hands of the Germans. It promised to reveal the details of who betrayed who and who prospered after the war despite their treachery. But frankly $900 was too much for the budget, even the discount $550 it sold at.
wp722dbbc5.png

Peugeot-601-301_5.jpg.0efb5a0db4b8b078723c05a353c6c342.jpg

601 & 301, from a recent post by ' jerry-lee ' on the forum-auto.caradisiac.com thread titled' Photos anciennes avec des anciennes !!!!!!! '
( one of the world's best threads - like this one )

A shame the 301 wasn't available in 1930 when Peugeot made a serious attempt to save the Australian operation. The 201 was a worthy small car, perfect for the company and the French market at the time but too small and hopelessly expensive for the Australian market. It was stronger than most small cars and was capable of crossing the Sahara. It would have survived better in the Australian countryside than British small cars. But at 11 cwt it was just too small and too expensive for an Australian motoring market that wanted a five seat Chevrolet. The American makers were the most efficient and lowest cost makers in the world. The cost of their cars in Australia almost halved over the 1920's. The 201 was dismissed as being in the mosquito class. The European makers could really only hope for a niche market.
There were two very different Peugeot company men sent to Australia in 1930. Both long forgotten by their company.
By then the only Peugeot dealer left in Australia was Norman Agate.
Auguste Menard was a real Peugeot company man. He made a vigorous attempt to establish the 201 and to find an agent for Peugeot bicycles. Most likely Agate was unwilling to invest in a project that was likely to be a loss maker. Nobody in 1920's Australia had much luck in making money by selling Peugeots. Menard hired a stand at the Sydney Motor Show to display the 201 he had brought with him. Later he took it to Melbourne, showing it to the press and looking for dealers. Last seen he was heading to Adelaide to find dealers. A very small number did end up being sold.
Hilaire Gillares was quite different. Arrived in Australia and announced he was THE Peugeot export manager. He was looking for a site for the factory Peugeot was going to build in Sydney. My impression is that's the effect of ten weeks of first class travel on the flashest liner on the run. Of course nothing was ever done. He did return in 1931 to set up an office which was odd because imports had virtually ceased. His real standing in the company and purpose in Australia is unknown.
RV-1404265 (1).jpg

Why the Australian motorist in 1947 was not happy. The entire range of cars on offer in March 1947. You needed a special use permit to buy and delivery could be lengthy. You could get terms on a third deposit, 6.5% interest and three years to pay.
A mechanic was paid 7 pounds a week but juniors under 15 could be paid as little as 1 pound 4 shillings. A car salesman could earn 7 to 8 pounds a week.
Britain was in a bad way after the war with the Americans demanding payment for the arms they had sold them. Shortages and food rationing in 1947 Britain were as bad as the war years. Australia did what it could to help by keeping food rationing here so as much as possible could be shipped to Britain. (Seemed to forget about it in 1970).
Australia was a partner in the Sterling Area Dollar Pool, which meant the extreme British shortage of dollars was felt here. Buying American cars that held half the market before the war was difficult. This opened the way for French imports which were not conducted in dollars. Australian wool was the mainstay of the French textile industry. As the French Ambassador said, every ship coming to pick up Australian wool had a hold loaded with French cars.
Negotiations were underway to establish an Australian car manufacturing industry. Sloane the head of GM was wary of Australia when he came and needed convincing it wasn't a communist country. Only one phone company, state owned railways and airlines, alarming.
People in 1947 Australia were openly wondering where that post war prosperity was.
Scan_20240531.jpg