destroying 03's

pugrambo

Going slightly mad
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
are there not enough 03's left in this country now ?
i have heard that a film company is after a couple of 03's for a new pug advert
they have aquired a 203 that was on the redex run and are going to chop it up
they have also aquired a 403 as well and as yet i don't what fate awaits it
am i the only one that finds this disturbing ?
does the person who has just sold their redex rerun 203 to these people know what awaits the car they may have restored ?

I can understand how lovers of the Older French cars, would find this also Blasphamis (Spellcheck)... It personally doesn't touch me as much, but i'm, sure i'd feel the same if it did...

It might release some rear panels for someone's 203 restoration, but it's definitely wrong for this to happen.

Apparently they tried to find an unrestored car to cut up but couldn't... but were they looking on here, for instance? 'rambo says there's one of them at Perthville under a tree, three more in Penrose. They didn't try... and of course, they might have a deadline.

At least it does mean that 203s and 403s are about to appear on the TV screens as part of a new Pug ad... that's some consolation... but not enough.

Yes I find it extremely disturbing. I was surprised that Gordon Miller put out an email to help them find cars. Does he realise what might happen? I would have thought he'd be contacting his aquaintances in the Peugeot family to have such vandalism stopped (if this really is true).

Dave

Last edited:
The conversion of one of the ex-Redex re-run very nice 203 to a tow truck for the ad is as factual as we can determine.

The 403 wagon they've bought is another matter, their requirements were only 'it must have a back door and it mush open and shut' so it might be a pretty tatty wreck otherwise.

As 'rambo says, if they buy a car rather than rent it for filming, it certainly means they are planning to do a nasty to it.

Ray Bell said:
The conversion of one of the ex-Redex re-run very nice 203 to a tow truck for the ad is as factual as we can determine.

The 403 wagon they've bought is another matter, their requirements were only 'it must have a back door and it mush open and shut' so it might be a pretty tatty wreck otherwise.

As 'rambo says, if they buy a car rather than rent it for filming, it certainly means they are planning to do a nasty to it.

Gordon rang me a couple of days ago to get Peugeot's contact details so he is now aware that something is amiss.
I don't know what is happening but i'ts probably better than what happens to most old Peugeots, ie. left outside to rust.
A lot of people were unhappy when I started to rally my 403 but it is still a good car when lots of others which were in similar condition to mine have now been scrapped or are in dire condition.
I just hope that when the car has had its modifications it will remain usuable.

Graham Wallis

Peugeot making a TV ad in Aus. This should be interesting...

It would be poor if a restored 03 is destroyed, but there are still a lot of 03's rusting away in paddocks.

Ray Bell said:
They could have bodgied up a rusty one and used that!

This is the point... they apparently say they couldn't buy any other than the one they got.

It's a pity they couldn't have contacted me first, I'm the 03 advisor for the PCCV and get hardly any calls.
Plenty for 504s etc. but I'm not the advisor for these models!
I think the car might have been Bob William's green 203C, (this has a freshly rebuilt motor) he is building a 403 for the Ampol Rerun.

Graham Wallis

ok
they have bought the car and they are going to destroy it
can anyone offer them a deal and maybe save a good 03 from getting destroyed ?
i am sure it could either return from whence it came and in turn give them a rusted out, about to fall in 1/2 03
this type of thing from people that have probably never had a thing to do with pugs sitting in an affice and come up with an idea and then decide to grab a car and destroy it is wrong as far as i am concerned
the thinking of "oh well it's just an old car it doesn't matter what happens to it" mentallity
at least IPEC used a 203 ute and never destroyed it for their adds from years ago
they just mocked it up to look good in the add but they never hurt it (yes the cars have feelings :D)

This is just insane.

I can't imagine any reason Peugeot themselves would need to destroy a classic..

It's just unbelievable they are going to destroy their heritage to facilitate an advertisement...

*sigh*

I advertised the 404 in the trado yesterday and the only person that seemed genuinley interested apart from the arabs was a bloke from an advertising agency.My guess is they will all be happy after the comercial is made they will most likely consign it to the middle east. There's a lot of bla bla around but very little substance regards cane toad

Sounds like a case of don't fret yet.

Who knows, they may modify the vehicles so that they are runners, and unique memento's of being used in the production of the Peugeot advert. If that is the case it may turn out to be a case of cars being saved from being left to rot in a paddock somewhere.

If they are infact crushed, hopefully it ends up being an inspiration to someone with two spare cars rotting in a paddock who is "gunna" do something with them actually getting started on them!

Add man

The bloke from the add agency told me they want it running and in reasonable condition, he said they would carry out any minor body work required and respray it I hadn't told him the colour of the car so they must have a plan to give the effect they want The price didn't seem to be a worry in fact he told me an extra couple of hundred would come my way if I delivered it to Sydney. Sounded to good to be true and may be it was because he hasn't rang back more bla bla or may be he was getting his numbers mixed up 03 04 although 3+4 = 407 regards cane toad

Simon said:
Sounds like a case of don't fret yet.

Who knows, they may modify the vehicles so that they are runners, and unique memento's of being used in the production of the Peugeot advert. If that is the case it may turn out to be a case of cars being saved from being left to rot in a paddock somewhere.

If they are infact crushed, hopefully it ends up being an inspiration to someone with two spare cars rotting in a paddock who is "gunna" do something with them actually getting started on them!

Yes, exactly the point that I was making.

Graham Wallis

cane toad said:
I advertised the 404 in the trado yesterday and the only person that seemed genuinley interested apart from the arabs was a bloke from an advertising agency.My guess is they will all be happy after the comercial is made they will most likely consign it to the middle east. There's a lot of bla bla around but very little substance regards cane toad

you are getting a call this weekend about the 404 cane toad
hang in there