Desperate!!!

R17G

Fellow Frogger
Ok guys, the 17 Gordini is finally ready to be registered, but for one damn thing. I desperately need an Auxiliary Air Valve for the Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection system as mine is stuffed. I am aware that the D-Jetronic system has been fitted to other cars such as Volvos, Saabs and Citroens. I need to know if any of the valves on these models are identical to the 17 or if anyone has a genuine valve that they would be willing to part with. The part is no longer available through Bosch. I really need this, as I said its the only thing stopping me from getting it registered.

Craig

There a wax filled rather fragile item... There is something that you can replace them with, but I've gone blank. Give me some time to ask around and I'll get back to you ....

seeya,
Shane L.

Damien Gardner said:
Are they the same as the aux valve on the LE Jetronic system, if so i have one your welcome too have.
:cheers:

Sorry Damien, I have no idea. Does anyone know?

is it operational without it or is it just a pollution control thing
the reason i ask is would they know if it was missing or not ?
i'm about to get a 604 registered and all it has for pollution control is the charcoal canister and the breather for oil fumes into the manifold and air cleaner
although it has a weber on it it will go down there with the standard air cleaner attached so all looks normal
604's came with air pumps and other junk on them but as they are the age they are nearly every 604 on the road has had all this removed
with the standard air cleaner on top there isn't much of the engine you can see
these things are huge

Auxiliary Air Valve

Hi Craig,

On my DS23 we replaced the water heated wax pellet valve with an electric (bi-metallic strip) one which AFAIK came from a Toyota Cressida - it works OK, but not perfectly. The fast idle is not all that fast. I can send you pix if you like.

You can get away without the valve altogether if you don't mind warming the car up before you drive off.

I know tha Denton Christie at European Autocare has replace quite a few of these, as the wax device is pretty unreliable.

Paul

pugrambo said:
is it operational without it or is it just a pollution control thing
the reason i ask is would they know if it was missing or not ?
i'm about to get a 604 registered and all it has for pollution control is the charcoal canister and the breather for oil fumes into the manifold and air cleaner
although it has a weber on it it will go down there with the standard air cleaner attached so all looks normal
604's came with air pumps and other junk on them but as they are the age they are nearly every 604 on the road has had all this removed
with the standard air cleaner on top there isn't much of the engine you can see
these things are huge
It's nothing to do with pollution - it 'fools' the injection into providing more fuel by increasing the air being metered, and therefore increases the idle speed until the car warms up. Sort of an auto choke for injection.

Stuey said:
It's nothing to do with pollution - it 'fools' the injection into providing more fuel by increasing the air being metered, and therefore increases the idle speed until the car warms up. Sort of an auto choke for injection.

aha
like an enrichener device
now i understand
i have never had anything to do with the wax things
504 TI's with the water temp control enricheners i have and of course carbs and water jackets and auto chokes

Paul Smith said:
Hi Craig,

On my DS23 we replaced the water heated wax pellet valve with an electric (bi-metallic strip) one which AFAIK came from a Toyota Cressida - it works OK, but not perfectly. The fast idle is not all that fast. I can send you pix if you like.

You can get away without the valve altogether if you don't mind warming the car up before you drive off.

I know tha Denton Christie at European Autocare has replace quite a few of these, as the wax device is pretty unreliable.

Paul

Hi Paul,

It would be great if you could send me a pic.

Craig

Craig,

Check this article out; it talks about the auxillary air valve, its faults & how to repair (very simple) as well as a heap of other things associated with with the D-jettronic, albeit on a Porsche.
I haven't had a close look but if this is a thermostat type of thing that makes contact until it heats up & then open circuits, I'd suggest going & having a yarn with a decent domestic refrigeration mechanic as there's a thing fitted to a lot of the old Whirlpool, Westinghouse & Kelvinator Frost Free fridges called a "Defrost termination thermostat" (or terminator) which is simply a bi-metal strip fitted inside a 'cheese roll' shaped gadget with two wires coming from it. It allows the power to go to the defrost heater until it gets so hot it breaks the circuit and automatically resets when cold. Any port in a storm; possibly a bloody sight cheaper than Renault/Bosch parts too. :D

http://www.914fan.net/djet.html

If all else fails, let me know & I'll go looking as I may even have one floating around I can post to you.

Alan S

Hi Guys,

well buttercup Bob has quite a good fix that I like !!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Shane,

recently when I was setting up the DS23 ie 5 speed for my Armidale
friend,...... you remember my questions about bloody useless bits &
blobs hanging off wires & hoses.....

Well I tested (they failed) and threw out 3 valvy blobby bits, and
discarded 2 branches of the wiring, all related to the temp & air &
idle regulation.

After that it runs very well, actually it goes like hell..... (I
don't know if you remember the Moonbi Hills just north of Tamworth,
on the way to Armidale...... well it held 100kmh in 4th gear all the
way up both hills......)

The only problem I had was cold starting & idling. So I made a valve
(very similar to the R/C throttle of a model plane) and installed a
manual choke knob out of a D Special, in the dash, hooked up to a
lever on the new mini throttle. When pulled it opens a 4mm hole into
the idle auxillary thingy, taking air from one of the spare hose
outlets on the aircleaner.

It works perfectly..... you use it just like a choke on a carby,
(except it doesn't matter if you leave it on), and it works very
smoothly & progressively. You can set the idle to whatever you want.

I'd definitely do it again exactly the same..... its so simple & so
effective..... and the customer is VERY happy having some control
over a brainless electronic contraption.
It might not be so good on a BVH..... but I'm sure I could come up
with a system for that.

I've driven a couple of 23ie before, but this one definitely goes
better......... its VERY quick.
(yeah yeah, I can hear you all saying : "Bob you've been in
Buttercup too long, anything would seem VERY quick....... even the
425cc 2CV would seem quick compared to Buttercup"

Bob >>
---------------------------------------------------------------

seeya,
Shane L.

Talk to Petroject on Newmarket Rd in Brisbane. They are the largest sellers of injection parts in QLD, and have an advisory service. They are not really set up for retail, but will sell to private buyers.

Just thought I would add the part number,
Bosch# 0 280 140 019