Decisions, decisions, decisions.........

DoubleChevron said:
I couldn't think of anything worse than a god awful slugomatic. I imagine the little 205 is the same drivetrain fitted to the BX16trs auto. A combination from hell....... Gutless motor with little torque down low, combined with a sh!tful slugomatic that breaks it's neck trying to get into the highest gear possible, as quickly as possible.

Gimme a proper gearbox anyday, at least it stays in the gear I want it until I shift it to the next gear.

Everytime I drive a slugomatic it re-enforces my opinion that I never want one of the god awful things.

seeya,
Shane L.

Well... it's actually the same engine/gearbox setup as an auto 205 SI minus the injectors (afaik), low down tourqe can be an issue sometimes, however if you want it to actually move it's as simple as using 3rd gear rather then 4th, and it solves the issue of not moving at a reasonable pace off the mark. Ofcourse if you put your foot down it does try to get into the highest gear possible, however that is what auto's are supposed to do when you kick down isn't it?.

As for staying in gear? I can't say I have an issue with it, and it hapily cruises in 4th gear all day long on the highway, or kicks back to 3rd when driving around town and keeps the revs reasonable. The only issue I have with it is that it can be a little clunky at times, but PSA auto's generaly are

Last edited:
Alan S said:
so the Xantia's it.

Three days ago you offered us the choice of 5 cars, well 4 anyway. Now there is only one. Maybe this is why so many of us have multiple cars . . .

Then again, maybe the more cars we have the less likely any of them are to go properly . . .

Roger

OK, so I've been out of the country and missed something here Alan - you've got a wagon now?
Is there a message/ thread I should be looking for to hear about this one?
Hope you have a great trip
Bruce

Bruce H said:
OK, so I've been out of the country and missed something here Alan - you've got a wagon now?
Is there a message/ thread I should be looking for to hear about this one?
Hope you have a great trip
Bruce

Been a full 'stem to stern' make over this one, in fact if anyone had sent it in for the "professionals" to do the work, I'd be guessing at possibly close to around $7000 worth of work that's been done. Panel, paint, injectors, cambelt, fluids, electrical, filters, service on auto, tyres, spheres............lost track of everything, but the general idea was to have something we could just get in and drive 1000+ klms whenever the mood struck us and try to encourage SWMBO to get behind the wheel and get a bit of confidence on driving back as she hasn't driven now for a few years ("no you drive, I want to do the crosswords in the paper") and then hopefully get her back into the other cars at which point I need to decide which car I sell. Regardless, she won't drive the 16V, but a while back she got a fright when I went 'legless' again and couldn't drive and she had to rely on one of the boys taking her wherever she wanted to go; something I had warned her on several occasions could happen one day.
Been extremely impressed with the car overall I must say and changed my ideas on autos in BXs.

Alan S:cheers:

It's beginning to sound like Peter Pan around here :eek:

He'll be in a Citroen - the next best thing to flying!

FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: :confused: :crazy:

There will be either 5 or 7 of us.

No airport within about 60 klms of where I'm going, no direct flight from where I am, so let's see; $139 per head to Brisbane, another possibly $300 to the nearest airport plus another say $30 a head for a taxi that's $460 X 7 (worst case scenario) = $3200 plus equal amount for return; $6400 plus accomodation.....Bet Kerry Packer wouldn't have batted an eyelid at that, only one problem.............I ain't he (obviously) nor do I have his bank account. For that I could buy another Xantia. (Must be a Peugeot driver)
:wink2: :wink2:

Alan S:cheers:

My choice would be to put the BX 16v running gear in the BX wagon.
Taking an elderly auto gearbox on a long trip in western NSW is pushing your luck.

But as others have said... SWMBO favours the Xantia, so unless you are as thick as a brick, or like pain... you have no choice

Decca

Decca said:
My choice would be to put the BX 16v running gear in the BX wagon.
Taking an elderly auto gearbox on a long trip in western NSW is pushing your luck.

But as others have said... SWMBO favours the Xantia, so unless you are as thick as a brick, or like pain... you have no choice

Decca

I'll give you the drum; this wagon goes like a 16v............I kid you not, it absolutely bloody flies!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Once I get the electric gemlins sorted, I reckon it's my daily driver.
Since I did the injectors and plugs, there's not much that will blow it away in fact I reckon it's almost on par with the 16V, possibly not from 0 - 40 but after that you need a neck brace it absolutely kicksass.:nownow:

Alan S :cheers:

There's a CX down here in Melbourne that'd whip it's arse .... If it could keep mobile for more than 1week without blowing the guts out of it's slugomatic box :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Why anyone would destroy a CX turbo my putting a slugomatic in it is beyond me :eek: :eek: Now that would be one fast slugomatic ... With torque converter slip she'd be near on boost from stationary:eek: :eek: No wonder it keeps blowing the guts out of the box.

I believe the BX slugomatic would be quite quick'ish, after all the motor & gearbox does a reasonable job in the Xantia that probably weights 300kg extra :) (0-100km/h in 14seconds belies the way it drive once your doing about 20km/h)

seeya,
Shane L.

why limit yourself to just 1??

Take both the bx16v and the mi16...

that way you can:

- have some nice road duels
- swap cars when your back starts getting too sore (sitting in a different seat for a while can give you temp releif)
- answer the eternal question of which car is superior (i know... they BOTH are :D)
- if one breaks down you can scrap the other one for parts!

DoubleChevron said:
There's a CX down here in Melbourne that'd whip it's arse .... If it could keep mobile for more than 1week without blowing the guts out of it's slugomatic box :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Why anyone would destroy a CX turbo my putting a slugomatic in it is beyond me :eek: :eek: seeya,
Shane L.

Don't forget shane, Leigh is disabled, and so he CAN'T use a manual gearbox!!
john s