Decisions, decisions, decisions.........

Alan S

1000+ Posts
I've got a trip coming up to meet up with my out-laws for a combined get together, engagement party, getting 2 no u, piss up and general slagging off about those who don't attend, kinda do. In 3 days I expect to drive close to 3000 klms with a car carrying 5 people including the driver and enough clothes and supplies in case of earthquake, plagues of locusts, alien invasion, nuclear attack and armageddon to survive for at least a month.
Here is the quandry I'm in; I have the choice of 5 cars to do this in, these being:

A Skyline Gt-R 32
A Peugeot Mi16
A BX 16V
A Xantia
A BX Tri auto wagon.

As I need to wear a back brace on a long trip, the R32 is defuinitely out as I almost scream in pain driving to the end of the street. Not only that, but it's as cramped as all hell and all in all not a very practical car over anything above about 30klms.

The Pug....dunno again if I could hack it as it has a bit of a stiff suspension and is presently in bits and I'm the kind that likes a car to have a bit of a track record before I embark on long voyages, but I may still look seriously at this.

BX16V; my favourite distance car, pass anything anywhere and is a dream to drive. Downside is I'm heading out western NSW where it gets 40+ constantly and I've had air/con problems and am having dramas accessing the gear to sort them so driving with a full load and no air con doesn't do it for me, but geez it's a great distance drive...tempted.

Xantia; don't mind it to drive and has brilliant air/con. Fairly roomy but with a full load up having a lot of heavy traffic to contend with, may be a bit of a hassle if I need to get past a few. 16V no sweat, name your speed and do it but this one whilst alright in normal circumstances can be a bit of a problem given the load and the distance I will be travelling. SWMBO has a soft spot for this one.

BX Tri 122 auto wagon. This I like. Came back from Brisbane 330klms (including driving through afternoon traffic) had a petrol stop and coffee break and still made it home in 3 hours 10 minutes. Been fully sorted now with injectors serviced, new plugs, cambelt, LHM, tyres, oils, filters, auto adjustments, spheres regassed and air con sorted. Nice big luggage area but not the leg room the Xantia offers. Rides as nice as any Cit I've ever owned and goes like the clappers.
Now which one should I take? My leanings are for the BX wagon or the 16V. SWMBO is saying Xantia,

Your thoughts please?

Alan S

danielsydney said:
I have heard these are slugs. Are you sure it will be able to cope with the load? :rolleyes:

This answer your question??

Came back from Brisbane 330klms (including driving through afternoon traffic) had a petrol stop and coffee break and still made it home in 3 hours 10 minutes.

:mallet: Alan S :joker:

Alan, why is it that we can have a stable full of cars and never exactly the right one for a particular task?

On a trip like this all 5 of you need to arrive in good shape. This requires both physical and emotional comfort. Room to stretch out, convivial climate and no excuses for an argument. What you think is best for you on your own or with only 2 people may not be best in this situation. Can you answer these questions for us?

* Who gets to make the decision and who else's opinion will they consider?

* Another way of putting this might be: how much of a say does SWMBO have?

* And why does SWMBO favour the Xantia?

* Who will be doing the driving? Surely not you the whole way. And what would they prefer to take?

At this stage, and without knowing any more, I'd suggest the Xantia. No grief from SWMBO. You know the aircon works. Roomiest option. Drive it conservatively, I'm sure none of the passengers will complain, and you won't lose that much time over the trip. And if you do need to pass 2 road trains and a loser with a caravan all at once then turn off the aircon for a minute or so. In the time it takes to start blowing uncooled air you will be past the behemoths and pushing the cool button again.

Me, I'd take my XM if I thought I would need the aircon and the DS if I didn't.

Roger

Alan,
you really could use a DS for trips like that, something like a 21IE with a 5 speed they are the best car for such an expedition.
I ve driven to Surfers and Brizzy half a dozen times non stop from Sydney without any aches or pains:wink2:
(well I did stop for fuel and :adrink: )

Dan

I'd say the Xantia, allow a little extra time so there is no need to break any speed records getting there and arrive relaxed and in comfort that Xantia provides. Spending time in a Citroen is never a chore as far as I am concerned and A/C is a wonderfull thing.

Agree with Roger that the other drivers should have a say as their happiness will effect your comfort levels. :rolleyes:

regards
sean

Top priority for a comfortable trip is SWBMO being comfortable ... You don't have a choice in this matter... Take the Xantia :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seriously though, BX wagon if you have lots of junk to take (unless your only two up and can lay the back seat down in the Xantia or BX).

Hey danial, you have never driven any of these cars have you. I'm yet to drive a Citroen that's gutless at highway speeds. Even the 8valve slugomatic Xantia has quite good overtaking power, the BX being lighter should be even better.... However for overtaking ...... Gimme the CX anyday... :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I'd take the GTR in a heatbeat .... If I was heading to the local racetrack ...:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

seeya,
Shane L.

sdabel said:
Agree with Roger that the other drivers should have a say as their happiness will effect your comfort levels. :rolleyes:

regards
sean

Actually, I reckon even the non-drivers should have a say. If I was going to be stuck in a tin can for 3000 km over 3 days I would want a say about just which tin can it would be whether I was to be doing any of the driving or not.

Roger

PSvensson said:
Alan,
you really could use a DS for trips like that, something like a 21IE with a 5 speed they are the best car for such an expedition.
I ve driven to Surfers and Brizzy half a dozen times non stop from Sydney without any aches or pains:wink2:
(well I did stop for fuel and :adrink: )

Dan

Think HOT ... WAY TO HOT ....:roflmao: :roflmao: :rolleyes: :tongue:

That would be my choice though if it was available... Most certainly SWBO wouldn't be happy with the rather "cosy warm" choice though.

seeya,
Shane L.

Roger Wilkinson said:
Actually, I reckon even the non-drivers should have a say. If I was going to be stuck in a tin can for 3000 km over 3 days I would want a say about just which tin can it would be whether I was to be doing any of the driving or not.

Roger

Don't get me wrong; they won't be stuck in it for 3 days; it'll be about 12 hours down, 12 back and general tripping around whuile we're there.
Greenblood knows what I'm capable of in a days driving...:eek: so I'll probably be doing about 80% of the driving.:party: :party:

Alan S

Alan, mate you're spoilt for choice but I think we can eliminate the Skyline :evil: The Mi16 sounds like it's an unknown quantity for this trip, leave it at home :nownow:

If it were me I think with five on board I would opt for a leasurely drive in the BX wagon. The extra load space and ease of access to items stored, and the sense of room that that cargo area gives (compared to 5 people in the cabin of a small sedan) should give you a comfortable trip.

I know SWMBO has experienced the wagon (on that recent epic trip back to Hervey Bay) and enjoyed the comfort it afforded, great seats, good air-con, way to go...:2cents:

Cheers
Chris

Hey danial, you have never driven any of these cars have you. I'm yet to drive a Citroen that's gutless at highway speeds

I have driven 2 kinds of automatic BX
1. bx 16
2.bx 19

The 16 automatic made my C3 feel like a racing car. And the gearchange was very rough and was jerking ferociously. It was quite awful.

Trixie said:
Refinement favours the Xantia. Or else rent a Tarago :clown:

Forgot to menytion, at a pinch I also have a Spectron XLT availaible which is more than capable of doing the trip, but as with a lot of Jap cars, rough as guts and hopeless at anything above 100 kph. It also has another "feature" I discovered one night with a load on board; due to its aerodynamics, once fully loaded, the front wheels will leave the ground at 110 just as you try to go around a heavy truck and get hit with the backdraft from low down!!:eek: :eek:

Daniel
The 16 automatic made my C3 feel like a racing car. And the gearchange was very rough and was jerking ferociously. It was quite awful.

Aha Daniel; you have driven in one with Dex3 in it, that's the way they go.
I have a friend with a Trs who has given his about 10 Dex2 changes and it's now as smooth as silk. A car I serviced last week, a 19, is now so smooth that I had a few different people in it and nobody could pick the gearchanges from the air/con cutting in. This one I'm hopeful of having to the same stage by this time next week.
Greenblood; :worship: :worship: :thanks:

Alan S:wink2:

Hi Alan
You must be having a great time listening to all these comments!
I'm surprised that the BX wagon doesn't feel more roomier than the Xantia. Does the Xantia have enough room in the boot to fit the luggage of 5 people for a month? If so take the Xantia unless you can convince your kind wife otherwise and still all be happy! What I would do:rolleyes: (here we go)....If I was you I'd be taking two cars; the 16V and the Xantia!:party:
Have a great time anyway!
Andy

Last edited:
I'd just take the CX and a spray bottle ... Whenever SWMBO complains about being hot, spray her with some cooling water :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: (Gee's I hope Mrs DoubleChevron doesn't read this :eek: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

whatever you do,

do NOT take the r32 it will be hell for the people in the back

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with the Xantia; not really an imposition, just I reckon I might have had more fun in the 16V, but I also think that's why on a show of hands, few went up in that direction.
R32 as I said never in a million years and I still have a yearning for the wagon but might have to console myself with a drive in it this weekend.
I now of course have to start all the plans for the extensive checking over of the Xantia based on its past performance.....I'll check the oil before I go.:joker: :roflmao:
Won't be for a couple of weeks, so I'll keep working on the other passengers and see if I can sway a couple!!:evil: :evil: :nownow:

Alan S:party: