Darracq & Delage

zykyra

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi guys, thought someon e may be interested in a couple of pics of a Darracq & a Delage from this years Classic Car Day @ Whiteman Park. Anyone know what models they are? :wink2:

Attachments

• Darracq1.JPG
    Darracq1.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 759
  • Darracq2.JPG
    Darracq2.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 478
Mmmmmmmmm Delage!

Always wanted a Delage, of course after the SM, the Merak, the Integrale, the
Elise etc etc ;)

Attachments

• Delage1.JPG
    Delage1.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 511
  • Delage2.JPG
    Delage2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 580
Darraque, Delage and Delahaye.

Delage, famous for its racing cars in the '20's came under the control of Delahaye in 1935.
Delahaye cars were solid and conventional until the arrival of the Type 135 in 1936.
The Delahaye emblem also carried the initials GFA, this stands for "Societe Generale Francaise de Construction Automobile.
This was a consortium set up in 1942 to pool the sales efforts of Delahaye, Delage, Simca and three truck companies.
The grille badge on the post war Simca 8-1200 had the GFA initials.

Darracq,Delage et DeDion.

Ray Bell said:
Whatever happened to Delahaye and de Dion?

By the way, I'm told that Morris 1100 CV joints in a 1905 de Dion enable you to drive it a gear higher everywhere.

Ray,
I know that somewhere there is the simple reply to the Morris CV joints in a de Dion comment. I don't know it! :confused:

Has it something to do with a CV,constant velocity, joint being just that?
Where the inboard universal joint on the de Dion was a crude version of the spider type that we all know.
The spider or yoke type of uni joint fluctuates in speed at each revolution between the two halves when subject to angularity.
You've noticed I've tied myself into a knot here! :eek:
With the old type uni joint apart from vibration could there be frictional losses? The modern CV joints would negate all this and by smoke and mirrors have an effect on the gears as described? Phew. :wink2:

Remember my hitch-hiking trip during which I got a lift with a guy who I hadn't seen in three decades... and I was surprised to see he'd aged 30 years?

Well, he has a 1905 de Dion, and his ...ahem... strict observance of originality with that car led him to fit said Morris 1100 CV joints in the (wait for it...) de Dion rear end.

And the net result was that when he went driving, the car was a gear higher than it had been before... in other words, the reduced frictional losses allowed him to be in a taller gear.