Daphne: 1974 D Spécial purchased October 2016

RE-POSITIONING THE WINDOW WINDERS. While I was sitting in the back seat today, contemplating what to re-trim Daphne's C pillars with, I suddenly noticed that the window winder handles were all akimbo, pointing in quite different directions.*

I scurried away to ask the nice folks on Aussiefrogs what I could do to fix this. Within minutes I had a reply that it wasn't difficult to re-position the handles, so I set about doing so. However, I was stumped, and after staring blankly at the handle for a while, I returned to the forum for further instruction. Apparently, all it would take was to push on the plastic spacer ring between the door trim and the handle, remove the locking pin, put the handle in the correct position, drop the pin back in, and the job would be done.*

Actually, it pretty much did go that way, though I didn't have any tools other than my hands; almost immediately I dropped the first locking pin in the blue metal gravel of the 'workshop', and spent a few frantic minutes looking for it, but that was the only mishap. In a short while I had all four handles facing forward, though all at different angles due to some vagaries of the mechanism.*

This project was yet another example of the generosity in sharing knowledge in the Citroën community.

BELOW: winder handle and black plastic ring spacer removed (pin is where? Probably on the ground) from winder mechanism on the door.*

BOTTOM: winder handle, black plastic ring spacer and locking pin, which attaches the handle to the winder mechanism (metal lug poking through hole in the door trim) through the hole you can see at the top.

26942188e5d07360322b63cbe7193c25.jpg

SORTING OUT RUSTY STUFF
Paul has been wowing me with his practical skills for the betterment of my goddess. This is part of the rear panel that holds the tail lights, but it had pitted rust; he stripped off the old black paint on both sides, sanded back the rust, had the trailer plug holes welded by a boilermaker mate, body filled the welds, and at the time of this photo had applied two coats of zinc-based undercoat. Next, he'll apply primer filler, then finish with matte black pain, and we'll be back in business!*
7b81411ceea661352a5c51eac452b30a.jpg

TIDY TAIL...
Progress has felt quite slow of late, although that's probably because I've barely been involved in it, plus there have been a few hitches. Well, you can't plan for the unexpected, as much as I try to - and here, I am out of my depth.*

At any rate, the back end is looking much better, thanks to some fiddly work undertaken by the man about the house. The area surrounding the boot has had rust removed, been treated and repainted black, the boot lip seal was replaced, and the tail lights made to work. Daphne is now looking quite tidy for anyone coming up at the rear.

9c07e30d0d9e75e6273393983b394969.jpg

16f8c40745e2ca9440d441558adbb01e.jpg

Very wise to get those jobs done Melanie. Happy motoring.

LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. It's been a couple of months since Daphne has been up on blocks, and I'm delighted to report that we only have one more job to do before the roadworthy inspection, and that's install the reverse light switch.

I decided to stop worrying so much about the dreadful upholstery and put on a full set of generic seat covers that'll do the job for a while, which neatened the interior more than I expected.

Last night Paul installed the bush for the temp gauge sender and got all front lights working, and we went out for a quick test and tune run...everything went like it ought (that's Paul under the hood, checking the business end was alright), and I'm feeling much happier! I reckon we'll be on the road early new year. [emoji4] [emoji106]

f807b6b734fa0bfb7cfabf717ef0730d.jpg

If my eyesight is not failing and your license plate starts with WTF, then that is entirely appropriate meme for ownership of a D.

That photo of you and the car so reminds me of driving a D Special from Naracoorte down to Struan in about 1975, my first ever experience behind the wheel of a "D". I was smiling so much my head nearly fell off.

If my eyesight is not failing and your license plate starts with WTF, then that is entirely appropriate meme for ownership of a D.
It would be, but it's WFF, and going to be replaced when she gets pretty red H-plates.

That photo of you and the car so reminds me of driving a D Special from Naracoorte down to Struan in about 1975, my first ever experience behind the wheel of a "D". I was smiling so much my head nearly fell off.
What a wonderful way to go! Great imagery there. Funny, I was born in Naracoorte that year.

Because a trip to Tassie so Daphne can be with her kin who are coming from ALL over Straya just to meet her at Cit in would be a good thing!
Oh man, that would be a good thing! That sounds awesome. I'll have to see what pans out...

We're nearly there! Paul has installed a temperature gauge under the dash, for peace of mind:
9768f52d81118bda4e3aada11225a082.jpg

I, with a focus on the nonsensical, have installed a selection of cassette tapes, with music from the 1970s, '80s and '90s, complete with biro for winding when winding is necessary:
501200d6236ef7f8f32ba29b1928207e.jpg

Better yet, I received a portable record player for Christmas, so I'll be collecting some retro fun and/or French records for playing on all those picnics we'll soon be enjoying on our cruises.

​The planets are finally aligning: this week Daphne is booked in for a roadworthy inspection so she can finally be registered in Victoria - please cross your fingers for us! Also, this wonderful world map printed linen arrived in the mail, with which I intend to re-cover the holey C pillars and rear head bumper pad (does anyone know what that bit is called?). Yes, I realise this is an outrageous departure from the original Citroen upholstery, and I am not sorry!
a24a7e058bfeeca9363c53a3312dce0d.jpg

​The planets are finally aligning: this week Daphne is booked in for a roadworthy inspection so she can finally be registered in Victoria - please cross your fingers for us! Also, this wonderful world map printed linen arrived in the mail, with which I intend to re-cover the holey C pillars and rear head bumper pad (does anyone know what that bit is called?). Yes, I realise this is an outrageous departure from the original Citroen upholstery, and I am not sorry!

:eek: lol

Does your car have headrests, I haven't seen them in any of your pics? If not how lenient is Vic Roads in this regard? I guess it may depend on how switched on the inspector is. . .

Cheers
Chris

:eek: lol

Does your car have headrests, I haven't seen them in any of your pics? If not how lenient is Vic Roads in this regard? I guess it may depend on how switched on the inspector is. . .

Cheers
Chris
Hi Chris, no headrests, but I'm feeling confident that our inspector will understand that it's a classic car to be registered under the club permit scheme.

Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app