CX22TRS: petrol smell

jvgavila

Fellow Frogger
Hello!

I wonder if you could shed some light on this... In my otherwise very nice CX22TRS I have that annoying problem: after a close bent (or a bent taken at speed), instantly there is some petrol smell inside the cabin :( . I am not sure if it comes through the air vents (doubt it as you know they are not great). But I don't know how they could come from another place (is petrol tank accessible from inside the car?) :confused:

Please, could you help me?

Thanks!

JOSE

Every CX I've owned does this. If you corner sharply with a full fuel tank it dribbles past the filler cap. Have a look at the paintwork under the fuel filler next time it happens. It'll be shiny as it's damp with petrol.

Possibly a new cap and sealing the metal ring at the tip of the filler may fix it (either that or the plastic filler pipe itself is cracked).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Every CX I've owned does this. If you corner sharply with a full fuel tank it dribbles past the filler cap. Have a look at the paintwork under the fuel filler next time it happens. It'll be shiny as it's damp with petrol.

Possibly a new cap and sealing the metal ring at the tip of the filler may fix it (either that or the plastic filler pipe itself is cracked).

seeya,
Shane L.

Wow, this is speed :D !

I was a bit concerned about an engine fire (after a friend fried his XM V6 24V last week :disappr: )

Anyway car has done this with little petrol on tank also (but I must say it seems worse with more petrol)

So I will check filler for cracks.

Thanks!

JOSE

Also check the condition of the rubber fuel and return pipes, near the carb. If they show any signs of cracking, then they need replacing urgently! I had that on both my CX 22 cars! john s

smiffy1071 said:
Also check the condition of the rubber fuel and return pipes, near the carb. If they show any signs of cracking, then they need replacing urgently! I had that on both my CX 22 cars! john s

Hello!

Well, I had already tested all pipes going to the carb (and, BTW, there are a few!). None of them looks gone yet...

My CX seems to have been cared for :) . Just take a look at my CX 22 TRS Repair Diary , where you can see some pictures of the engine (along some ramblings :roflmao: )

So I guess culprit should be located close to the petrol tank... will check this coming weekend.

Regards,

JOSE

jvgavila said:
Hello!

Well, I had already tested all pipes going to the carb (and, BTW, there are a few!). None of them looks gone yet...

My CX seems to have been cared for :) . Just take a look at my CX 22 TRS Repair Diary , where you can see some pictures of the engine (along some ramblings :roflmao: )

So I guess culprit should be located close to the petrol tank... will check this coming weekend.

Regards,

JOSE

Mine does it too, and it isn't the engine bay in my case. I agree with Shane that it seems to be a small leak at the filler cap when cornering. There's something in the aerodynamics that eddies the smell forward I presume.

The only way to drive them hard without smell is with a low tank!

Cheers

JohnW

JohnW said:
Mine does it too, and it isn't the engine bay in my case. I agree with Shane that it seems to be a small leak at the filler cap when cornering. There's something in the aerodynamics that eddies the smell forward I presume.

The only way to drive them hard without smell is with a low tank!

Cheers

JohnW

Thanks for your answer!

I have more info about this problem. It happens ONLY when turning right!. I have repeated several times the test and I am sure... What amazes me is that smell comes from air vents and almost instantaneously. I don't see how, coming from the tank, it could be so fast to reach them :confused:

I will try to do some other tests, as stop just after a right turn and smell here and there... hope people don't think I am mad :joker:

Regards,

JOSE

jvgavila said:
Thanks for your answer!

I have more info about this problem. It happens ONLY when turning right!. I have repeated several times the test and I am sure... What amazes me is that smell comes from air vents and almost instantaneously. I don't see how, coming from the tank, it could be so fast to reach them :confused:

I will try to do some other tests, as stop just after a right turn and smell here and there... hope people don't think I am mad :joker:

Regards,

JOSE

Jose,

That's strange. Mine does it on LEFT corners. Maybe it is the Southern Hemisphere!!! Shane may comment further but I can't see any reason why turning would make any difference inside the engine bay. If you have a fuel leak, you have a leak, even when driving in a straight line, as it is pressure in the pipes that forces it out and causes a smell.

I can only think that you might have a cracked pipe that moves and opens the crack when you turn right, but I am not convinced.

Cheers

JohnW

JohnW said:
Jose,

That's strange. Mine does it on LEFT corners. Maybe it is the Southern Hemisphere!!! Shane may comment further but I can't see any reason why turning would make any difference inside the engine bay. If you have a fuel leak, you have a leak, even when driving in a straight line, as it is pressure in the pipes that forces it out and causes a smell.

I can only think that you might have a cracked pipe that moves and opens the crack when you turn right, but I am not convinced.

Cheers

JohnW

Are you sure the smell is coming through the vents ??? It HAS to be from the underbonnet area if it smells through the vents.

I suspect it could be coming forward from the boot. There is a tank breather in the boot. If the pipes to it become dislodged or cracked it will allow petrol fumes into the car. No amount of fresh air overcomes this. If the windows are down it appears to get worse.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Are you sure the smell is coming through the vents ??? It HAS to be from the underbonnet area if it smells through the vents.

I suspect it could be coming forward from the boot. There is a tank breather in the boot. If the pipes to it become dislodged or cracked it will allow petrol fumes into the car. No amount of fresh air overcomes this. If the windows are down it appears to get worse.

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Shane,

Yes, it comes from the vents. I think JohnW is right and there should be a cracked pipe somewhere. Probably, when car turns right, there is some extra stress on a pipe and it lets go some petrol.

I will carefully check pipes coming from tank to carb. I will let you know what I find!

Regards,

JOSE

PS: hope car does not burn before I put the 3 LCD display :D

DoubleChevron said:

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane,

All replies out of sync. I agree with your comment. There's a slight chance of something funny underbonnet, but I doubt it as an intermittent. No doubt we'll here before long!

Cheers

JohnW

CX22TRS: petrol smell.

JohnW said:
Shane,

All replies out of sync. I agree with your comment. There's a slight chance of something funny underbonnet, but I doubt it as an intermittent. No doubt we'll here before long!

Cheers

JohnW

Shane,
The CX are a mystery to me but could your fuel smell be coming from the carbon canister? A faulty vacuum control on this, ie not closing off the vent to atmosphere? Although this would be worse with a full tank. :confused:

Wildebeest said:
Shane,
The CX are a mystery to me but could your fuel smell be coming from the carbon canister? A faulty vacuum control on this, ie not closing off the vent to atmosphere? Although this would be worse with a full tank. :confused:
Don't forget wildebeest, were talking about a european market car, and they don't have carbon canisters! I still recklon it sounds like the fuel line to the carb, or its return......john s

CX...Petrol Smell.

smiffy1071 said:
Don't forget wildebeest, were talking about a european market car, and they don't have carbon canisters! I still recklon it sounds like the fuel line to the carb, or its return......john s

Smiffy,
Once again, CX's are not my bag. As for the European market I would have thought that some of the "Green" countries such as Switzerland, Sweden etc would have had the canisters. Shayne may have one of these?

jvgavila said:
PS: hope car does not burn before I put the 3 LCD display :D
[/quote]

Hi Jose,

I just sent that display(1day late, I was trying to figure out the best way of packaging it so it wouldn't get damaged). It's packaged in a big/heavy document tube. The only way they should be able to damage it is if they drop a forklift on it :roflmao: :roflmao:

seeya,
Shane L.

Wildebeest said:
Smiffy,
Once again, CX's are not my bag. As for the European market I would have thought that some of the "Green" countries such as Switzerland, Sweden etc would have had the canisters. Shayne may have one of these?

Well, car with leak is mine :cry: ... and, yes, it has a canister ("anti-pollution system"). So the carby is surrounded by lots of tubes going from aircon circuit, intake, petrol tank and other places to carb. Culprit could be one of them but curious thing is that smell is only produced after right bends :confused:

If I wever find what is happening, be sure will let you know!

Thank you for your help :cheers:

JOSE

CX petrol smell..

Sorry JOSE,
Not only did I mix up the names I also spelt Shane wrong. :cry: :)

JOSE, what a great name. Opera singer Jose Carreras. A character in "Carmen" and many bullfighters I'll bet ?

Wildebeest said:
Sorry JOSE,
Not only did I mix up the names I also spelt Shane wrong. :cry: :)

JOSE, what a great name. Opera singer Jose Carreras. A character in "Carmen" and many bullfighters I'll bet ?

Well, JOSE is a very common name in Spain... and still more in Valencia, as Las Fallas festival (in March, with the greatest day on 19th March) is in honour to Saint Jose

Abous Las Fallas, please, check Las Fallas . It is unique in the World :roflmao: !

Sorry for the off-topic :rolleyes: !

JOSE

Hi Jose -

Check the carburettor float level - it may be too high. If the carb spills - it will exactly do so on right turns. On left turns the spillage would go down the carb barrells.
There is a small vent hole with a mesh to vent the carb on top. This is by my own experience able to spill out just a few drops of petrol.
It all happens inside (under) the large air duct on top of the carb.
But the smallest amount of vapour that escapes gives a sharp petrol smell in the cabin even at moderate speed.

AndersDK said:
Hi Jose -

Check the carburettor float level - it may be too high. If the carb spills - it will exactly do so on right turns. On left turns the spillage would go down the carb barrells.
There is a small vent hole with a mesh to vent the carb on top. This is by my own experience able to spill out just a few drops of petrol.
It all happens inside (under) the large air duct on top of the carb.
But the smallest amount of vapour that escapes gives a sharp petrol smell in the cabin even at moderate speed.

Hello!

YES, I think you have got it :banana: !!!

I had also found that carb was a bit 'wet' with petrol... but was not sure. Now your comment seems very credible :roflmao:

So what I need now is to locate a gasket and/or rebuild kit. Could somebody let me know a source?

Thanks!

JOSE