CX turbo progress so far

smiffy1071 said:
This won't be a problem, as I've been getting my caravan ready for the warmer weather, and I intend to use it a fair bit this summer! Surprisingley, my ZX tows it better than the CX 22 that I've been using. At least with the CX though, I don't need to use extended mirrors! john s

There must be something wrong with the CX ... self leveling, "big motor" (well we are talking the UK here :rolleyes: ).

Maybe you just need to ensure all the plug leads are hooked up :roflmao: :roflmao:

I think I may fit a CX intercooler to my CX. I'm wondering if it'll improve fuel economy when I'm towing :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

smiffy1071 said:
No pictures this post, but just to keep you all up to speed, I went to Leeds today, about an 800km round trip, from home in my CX 22TRS. There is a classic citroen spares shop there, who has just about anything you can think of for old Cits. GS,CX,DS,ID,SM,AX,BX,VISA,LNA, the list goes on and on.
I went there, to buy a front left outer wing, and 2 indicator units, and while I was there, I got chatting. You know how it is, you just mention a part that you are having trouble finding, like the 4 window LCD unit, and not only does he have one that is correct, but it's BRAND NEW! Of course, think of a boy in a toyshop, and that was me....gimme gimme!! He also had the correct owners handbook, with instructions for the on-board computer! So, AU$800 later, I'm totally broke, but very happy! I hope to have some pics for you after this weekend. john s

Oh by the way, this bloke with the spares, he does post to OZ, and NZ, and is worth a try for just about anything! If you want his contact dertails, let me know.

John,

does he have any more turbo display panels. BTW: what about the cubbyhole/lids/trip computer covers for the dash.

Does he have the pieces (that appear to be highly saught after). You I'll love to get my hands on some of them. Though if the parts are really expensive they'll be out of my reach :(

BTW: Didn't I send you the manuals discs with the trip computer instructions ??

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
John,

does he have any more turbo display panels. BTW: what about the cubbyhole/lids/trip computer covers for the dash.

Does he have the pieces (that appear to be highly saught after). You I'll love to get my hands on some of them. Though if the parts are really expensive they'll be out of my reach :(

seeya,
Shane L.
I paid AU$240 for the display. I didn't ask about the doors for the dash, but I would'nt mind betting that Andre pol has them. I sent him a grey coin holder this week with a good door on it. Mine are good, appart from the one nearest the instrument pod. On that, the door is ok, but the cubby hole itself is broke!

What a busy few days weve had. We got the car fired up a few days ago, and spent some time trying to sort the electrics out. Still not finished doing that, need to work out why there is no power to the front marker lights, some bad earths at the rear lights, the ventilation fan only runs at max, and I still can't find a list of pins for the ABS, or why the keypad won't work. On the plus side, the hydraulics were built up today, and they work, so we got the car out of the shed just to see it outside. It was an emotional moment for me, as it was the first time the car has moved under its own power for over a year! See the next post for the rest of the pics so far. john s

Attachments

• build1s.jpg
    build1s.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 203
  • build2s.jpg
    build2s.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 222
  • build3s.jpg
    build3s.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 205
smiffy1071 said:
Me in the green sweater, my best mate chris, (BX 19RD, BX16v) and his dad (BX17 td auto) Citro nutters all of us! :headbang:

Attachments

• build4s.jpg
    build4s.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 218
  • build5s.jpg
    build5s.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 227
  • build6s.jpg
    build6s.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 233
Hey,

Lookin real good there- Is the car going to stay that colour?

Good Luck on getting all the problems sorted!

Cyas Stalled :headbang:

STALLED said:
Hey,

Lookin real good there- Is the car going to stay that colour?

Good Luck on getting all the problems sorted!

Cyas Stalled :headbang:
I've been trying to trace the history of the car, as I very strongly suspect that mine it probably the earliest surviving RHD series 2 CX!
Bearing that in mind, I really want to keep it as original as possible, so yes, it will stay delage red. It will even be having a new set of TRX tyres, ouch.....much coin!! Luckily, I have sourced a full exhaust system for it, and I just have to shorten it as it was for a prestige turbo, which is of course longer. Gonna need all the help I can get with the electrics, yup, it's pull my hair out time! john s

Looking good smiffy.

I managed to spend a couple of hours cleaning the shed on the weekend. As soon as I finish I'll get my car in there and take photo's of those electrical connectors you need (you'll go old & grey waiting for me :mad: :nownow: :rolleyes: ).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
John,

seeya,
Shane L.
No shane, you didn't! john s btw, I will have a look to see if I can find some dashboard doors.

smiffy1071 said:
I've been trying to trace the history of the car, as I very strongly suspect that mine it probably the earliest surviving RHD series 2 CX!
Bearing that in mind, I really want to keep it as original as possible, so yes, it will stay delage red. It will even be having a new set of TRX tyres, ouch.....much coin!! Luckily, I have sourced a full exhaust system for it, and I just have to shorten it as it was for a prestige turbo, which is of course longer. Gonna need all the help I can get with the electrics, yup, it's pull my hair out time! john s

Wow, seems like such a rare car, Are TRX's expensive on your side of the world?

Do you know the figures as to how many CX turbos were sold in the UK?

Cheers

Cyas Stalled

STALLED said:
Wow, seems like such a rare car, Are TRX's expensive on your side of the world?

Do you know the figures as to how many CX turbos were sold in the UK?

Cheers

Cyas Stalled
To be quite honest, All CX's are rare here now. You just never see them, exept at special events. I don't know how many turbo models were sold here, they were very expensive when new, getting on for AU$50,000!
or £20,000. TRX tyres work out at about AU$250 each! john s

smiffy1071 said:
No shane, you didn't! john s btw, I will have a look to see if I can find some dashboard doors.

I'm sure I did send a set of CD's to the UK. PM me your address details and I'll send some more (You know I've NEVER had CD's not turn up ...... yet.....). I've a stack sitting on the back floor of my car for a month now. Still haven't stopped at the post office to actually post them yet :nownow: :roflmao: :roflmao:

seeya,
Shane L.

smiffy1071 said:
To be quite honest, All CX's are rare here now. You just never see them, exept at special events. I don't know how many turbo models were sold here, they were very expensive when new, getting on for AU$50,000!
or £20,000. TRX tyres work out at about AU$250 each! john s

I've driven Fuegos on those god awful TRX tires. Remember how you CX looked a couple of months back ..... That's how EVERY crashed Fuego I've ever seen has looked, simply because the first time the road gets wet/greasy the car falls of the road nose first (or slides into something). TRX's in my experiance are absolutely woeful on wet/greasy roads. I'm hoping you don't often get wet/greasy/icy roads in the UK :rolleyes: :tongue:

Maybe get a set of TRX's for club events, and a set of 15/16" wheels for normal everyday use :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
I've driven Fuegos on those god awful TRX tires. Remember how you CX looked a couple of months back ..... That's how EVERY crashed Fuego I've ever seen has looked, simply because the first time the road gets wet/greasy the car falls of the road nose first (or slides into something). TRX's in my experiance are absolutely woeful on wet/greasy roads. I'm hoping you don't often get wet/greasy/icy roads in the UK :rolleyes: :tongue:

Maybe get a set of TRX's for club events, and a set of 15/16" wheels for normal everyday use :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.
I take your point, but my CX isn't going to be an everyday car, I just can't afford the petrol! I do have annother set of 14" CX GTi alloys that I could use. john s

Last thursday, the whole project suffered a HORRENDOUS setback!
My best mate Chris, who has been helping me with technical advice, welding, extra pair of hands, and getting new parts at trade prices, was taken ill.
They got him to hospital only just in time, where he collapsed, and so very nearly died. 2 heart attacks later, eventually, they found out he has Meningcocal Meningitis.
He's still in intensive care, & unconcious as I write this, and is still in great danger. The treatment, drugs and care he's had I dread to think what it would cost anywhere else in the world, but here in Britain, we have the NHS, and it's completely free, thank god!!! (of course it isn't really, the tax payer picks up the bill)
Once I know he's out of danger, I will go and wash/wax and vacuum his BX19RD, and BX16V, and run them up, as he will be in hospital for the next 2 months!
My CX turbo, though I love it very much, is nowhere near as important to me as my friend, so it can wait. It's been off the road for 15 months already, so 2 or 3 more won't make a difference. I still have the 22TRS, and the ZX20, so I'm hardly stuck for transport!
john s

smiffy1071 said:
My best mate Chris, who has been helping me with technical advice, welding, extra pair of hands, and getting new parts at trade prices, was taken ill.
They got him to hospital only just in time, where he collapsed, and so very nearly died. 2 heart attacks later, eventually, they found out he has Meningcocal Meningitis.
He's still in intensive care, & unconcious as I write this, and is still in great danger. The treatment, drugs and care he's had I dread to think what it would cost anywhere else in the world, but here in Britain, we have the NHS, and it's completely free, thank god!!! (of course it isn't really, the tax payer picks up the bill)
Once I know he's out of danger, I will go and wash/wax and vacuum his BX19RD, and BX16V, and run them up, as he will be in hospital for the next 2 months!
My CX turbo, though I love it very much, is nowhere near as important to me as my friend, so it can wait. It's been off the road for 15 months already, so 2 or 3 more won't make a difference. I still have the 22TRS, and the ZX20, so I'm hardly stuck for transport!
john s

John,

Sounds like he's a fighter to last this long so lets hope he pulls through. Cars (no matter how important they are to you) can always be replaced, people can't.

best of luck
Shane L.

Quite so, Chris would be totally irreplaceable. I just can't wait for him to wake up and start insulting me again, then I will know he's ok!
If you look back through this post, you should see a pic with the engine being lifted out of the scrap turbo car, and a guy stood next to it. That is Chris. He's only 25, which is just aswell, as if it were anyone older and perhaps not as fit, they would already have croaked!! john s

smiffy1071 said:
john s

John,

Please keep us informed of his condition I have been following your CX rebuild for some time now. I hope Chris gets better soon and has more misadventures with the citroens.

Kind Regards Nick