CX stop lamps

Rob 81

Tadpole
Hi Guys,

Firstly, let me apologise for my first post being a question.

Right, I have just bought a lovely 84 CX 25 pallas i.e Auto.

In the two weeks that I have owned it, it has had new flywheel sensors and a secondhand ECU, which have seemed to have cured the cutting out when hot problems.

It had a new speedo cable drive unit on friday which cured the broken speedo for thirty miles (it seems to have broken again, which is annoying!)

Still needing attention is the interior fan blower (it worked briefly on the drive home from buying it but has since given up)

This weekend I decidied to investigate the broken fan and removed the handbrake/suspension height selector souround. I was unbable to identify the problem with the heater fan (didn't spend too long looking as it was very cold) but managed to cause a strange set of electrical faults. Firstly, the handbrake warning lamp seemed to be triggered by the rear window demister button and the interior lamp button. The radio died and the central locking did not work. After fiddling about with connectors and things, it seemed as if normal service resumed. However, either coincidentally or not, the stop lamps have stopped working now. I've checked the fuse, stop lamp switch (as best as I can) and bulbs but have been unable to find the problem. I don't suppose anybody has any ideas?

Thanks and best wishes,

Rob

P.s I don't suppose anybdy knows what is causing the horrible squeak from the steering wheel/column?!

Sounds to me like the fix is long winded and time consuming .... The only good bit being it's free.

Your in the salty soggy UK. My CX GTi Turbo was imported from there and I have needed to fix quite a lot of wiring that's had badly corroded wiring connectors (not to mention there was rott in some of the wire itself. You need to clean/sand/get the fuse holders under the bonnet as perfect as possible. There is many big multiplugs, if you pull these apart and clean there terminals as well as you can (I suggest cutting the rotten old terminals off and soldering newies on) you will suddenly find all the intermittant problems suddenly dissapear.

good luck !
Shane L.
PS: running a Serries I CX in the salty UK is an impressive feat !! Keep up the good work :D Do you need to park it up in winter so it doesn't rott away ??

BTW: I forgot to add... The stop lights ... You have probably knocked the wires off the brake pedal switch. Have a look on the brake pedal itself for the switch. It's wires are easily knocked off by floor matts.

seeya,
Shane L.

Cheers Shane,

I'll look at the stop lamp switch in more detail in the morning.

My S1 is remarkably rust free so far - it's been well waxoyled underneath so will hopefully remain solid for a while yet.

Rob