CX steering rack piston refurb

tonycx79

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi all, I'm about to get my CX steering rack piston re-chromed to hopefully mend the leaks...
I've searched the various Tech threads here but can find nothing detailed about specs I can give to them, other than the rough guide of matching the piston diameter to the bore of the rack.
Does anyone have any more specific info I can give them to ensure this fix is effective?
cheers Tony

You are talking microns clearance for citroen hydraulics. Is there somoene capable of doing this work locally ?

I've been pointed by a reliable source to Hardchrome in Pakenham as apparently they've done this job before for other CX's??

I purchased a new piston from CX Basis. As is was getting the seal kit at the same time it seemed convenient. Left or right hand drive doesn't matter, they are identical. It is always the smaller diameter piston that suffers.

Thanks Gerry I've been watching both CX basis and Tres beau and neither has the piston only available atm. It does seem easiest way to not create further dramas, so I might chase them up directly to ask.
cheers Tony

These pistons as factory fitted were by all appearances not hard chromed but simply chrome flashed which provides an acceptable surface but not a very durable one.
Hard chrome is a very effective means of ensuring long lasting repair, the required finish diameters can be ascertained from measuring the unworn section of the pistons, and the plating company will be able to do this. When i switched from CX to C5s I foolishly discarded all the rack detail with the diameters.

Usually the pistons are ground to clean them up then plated and finish ground to the required diameter. It is reasonably expensive but the finished item is almost certainly better than one bought as a spare part and is available within days and will last literally forever.

There are a number of very experienced companies in Melbourne that do this work it is a vital service for industrial components.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks Hydrac, that sounds like it will give me enough detail to provide them. I'm a bit daunted by 'reasonably expensive' but if it works I'm up for it. I will hopefully be able to share the story in the next few weeks 🤞