CX series 1 alternator 100A information

interesting !
the original Citroen export package has inflow from behind the rear seat, 4 vents for blowing cool air.
I have seen pictures with one of the 4 for sucking in warm air and 3 for returning cool air
PeterMol has 2 of the 4 for intake and 2 for cool air blowing
Another system, possibly for CXA - CX's exported into the USA (not through Citroen itself), has the 4 vents blowing cold air, and a separate 5th opening/vent fur sucking in warm air.

so indeed there are more systems that were added. I try to follow the Citroen export version. (shipped to Africa, Asia)
I think that possibly in Australia, it was delivered stock, and the rear AC was added locally, with a local fitting version.

Air intake is from the passenger compartiment which is then cooled and returned through the 4 parcel/hat shelf.
Citroen documents start that the rear seat is modified for air to be able to be sucked in, but doesn't describe how.

Does anybody know? Is the bottom seat part altered ? Of the back rest somehow ?

The AC system is installed, with freezing COLD air !!! I am happy. Some pictures are here on Flickr (click).

It draws in interior (warm) air from around the central armrest. That seems to provide enough passage. One can feel the flow of air here.

Should anyone know how the rear backrest was altered to accomodate air flow to the rear AC system, I would like to hear so.

most sold here had the 100amp setup. Its not very good at generating amperage at idle (where C-matics with A/C needed it hte most). Its not very reliable as it has much much wiring. There is a big external rectifier swinging in front of the radiator, and usually and aftermarket regulator (as the internal one dies on the alternator).

A much better fix is to fit a modern bosch univeral 100+amp alternator that is internally regulated and rectified.

With my rear AC installed, it works electrically. I already had installed a modern 75A alternator, which seems to deliver enough output to run the car and rear AC. With the AC at full, and the car running, the rear blower only draws 2A extra when measured. That should not be an issue for my current alternator. For now we leave it with this setup. If it gives concern in use, I can still exchange/upgade for a 100A version. Any thoughts on this ?
Possibly the older (factory) alernators with external rectifier had an issue in delivering capacity, and therefore it was advised for a second alternator or increased capacity ? ?

I had the 100A alternator in my c-matic properly rebuilt, including the diodes and making up a new wiring harness for the remote rectifier. It improved matters, but the voltage could still drop enough in a traffic jam to affect the gear change electrovalve.

For anyone keen, there's currently a 1979 c-matic on Gumtree at Jeparit, western Vic. It has that iconic golfball ashtray and maybe even a steel sunroof looking at the pictures. Owner is asking $2,500 for his project car.

I had the 100A alternator in my c-matic properly rebuilt, including the diodes and making up a new wiring harness for the remote rectifier. It improved matters, but the voltage could still drop enough in a traffic jam to affect the gear change electrovalve.

For anyone keen, there's currently a 1979 c-matic on Gumtree at Jeparit, western Vic. It has that iconic golfball ashtray and maybe even a steel sunroof looking at the pictures. Owner is asking $2,500 for his project car.
I wonder if its electrovalve works!

Vendor claims it ran OK when parked 15 years ago. It's listed as an auto, which I take to be c-matic given the stick in the middle. I still have a few used electrovalves and other odds and sods for CX ... just in case I might buy another. (which I haven't so I should offload the leftovers.)
:)

Vendor claims it ran OK when parked 15 years ago. It's listed as an auto, which I take to be c-matic given the stick in the middle. I still have a few used electrovalves and other odds and sods for CX ... just in case I might buy another. (which I haven't so I should offload the leftovers.)
:)
I sold my CX with all the spares - including a new electrovalve from CX Basis. Happily the new custodian uses it and looks after it. What a car!!

Did you see this discussion some years ago? https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/citroen-cx-air-cond-options.105380/page-4

I think our CX had an Autoclima system in the boot with 4 vents blowing cold air from the shelf behind the seat. We definitely had a 100A alternator (the French one died at about 20 years and we fitted a Bosch unit. With a C-matic, you cannot have voltage drop or you cannot change gear!
No, I didn't. Thanx, I will read more there.