CX headlight switch needed!

Andy N

Fellow Frogger
Hey frenchies
Happy Bastille day for yesterday...for anyone that is actually French.
Anyway, I have limited internet access here and I have been trying to fix my headlight switch after it broke at the lever swivel point.
I got an engineer to drill a hole and screwed in a plastic insert usually used for bathroom fixtures, and a self tapping screw.
There are two springs which need to make contact with the metal circles, but I have a bridging thingy that doesn't appear to fit snuggly between the springs so I need to know why.
The springs are just dragging and don't work...need some sort of contact.
If anyone could send me pics of how to rig it up or an actual switch I would pay $$ for it to be sent and for the part.
I don't have photos I'm sorry. Emergency high beam switch still works but no taillights.
Any ideas please and if someone can help me out with the part. All I need is the light coloured switch plate that the headight switch lever is attached to...the plate with all the wires coming off but I dont need the wires.
Thanks, if you can help please sms or call me on 0417041948.
Cheers, Andy

Andy N said:
Hey frenchies
Anyway, I have limited internet access here and I have been trying to fix my headlight switch after it broke at the lever swivel point.
I got an engineer to drill a hole and screwed in a plastic insert usually used for bathroom fixtures, and a self tapping screw.
There are two springs which need to make contact with the metal circles, but I have a bridging thingy that doesn't appear to fit snuggly between the springs so I need to know why.
If anyone could send me pics of how to rig it up or an actual switch I would pay $$ for it to be sent and for the part.
I don't have photos I'm sorry. Emergency high beam switch still works but no taillights.
Any ideas please and if someone can help me out with the part. All I need is the light coloured switch plate that the headight switch lever is attached to...the plate with all the wires coming off but I dont need the wires.
Cheers, Andy

Cant help you out with the switch Andy, but you might get a better response if you post on the Tech or parts wanted page, there will be someone there only to happy :wink2: to help you. Or try Shane he will probably set you right.

Sounds like your better off geting the whole switch rather than dicking around with fiddly little springs etc, had experiance with car switches and you don't want to be rummaging around in the snow for microscopic things that shoot out when least expected or you get them bodjied? up and working only to have them fail a little down the track.

Bet your freezing your ass off up there at the moment. Went up to top of Talbingo on the weekend and had a great time on the old super bags with the billy lids.

I read yor posts about the problems you've been having. Hang in there mate.

Hoo roo Cooch

Lime Green CX Pallas :cheers:

Ps Stayed up late-early to watch the Bastille day leg of the Tour De Frog to see one verry happy little frogger win. by 30 seconds. :headbang:

Last edited:
Cooch Goodwin said:
Cant help you out with the switch Andy, but you might get a better response if you post on the Tech or parts wanted page, there will be someone there only to happy :wink2: to help you. Or try Shane he will probably set you right.

Sounds like your better off geting the whole switch rather than dicking around with fiddly little springs etc, had experiance with car switches and you don't want to be rummaging around in the snow for microscopic things that shoot out when least expected or you get them bodjied? up and working only to have them fail a little down the track.

Bet your freezing your ass off up there at the moment. Went up to top of Talbingo on the weekend and had a great time on the old super bags with the billy lids.

I read yor posts about the problems you've been having. Hang in there mate.

Hoo roo Cooch

Lime Green CX Pallas :cheers:

Ps Stayed up late-early to watch the Basteale day leg of the Tour De Frog to see one verry happy little frogger win. by 30 seconds. :headbang:

I'll see what I've got. Your problem is the headlight switch carries the full headlight current (ie: no relays). You really do need to install relays.

What colour is the dash in your car :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
I'll see what I've got. Your problem is the headlight switch carries the full headlight current (ie: no relays). You really do need to install relays.

What colour is the dash in your car :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

The dash is black with the golf-ball ashtray. Gotta rush to work so I'll check for more responses tomorrow night.
Seeya
Andy

Hey guys
In addition to headlight switch I am also desperately low on LHM with the brake failure warning light coming on mostly on fast left hand bends and the steering being heavy after only one full turn...suspension still good and brakes good.
Does anyone know who might stock LHM in Cooma? If not about how much to ship 4 litres from Craig? Whoops I still need to become a member :nownow:
Thanks, Andy

Hi Andy,

If you PM me your postal address I'll get a switch off (you'll have to wait for me to get to my parents to get one). You'll need to swap the switch over as it's brown.

Put some Dexron III in it, it'll give the suspension a good flush. When do you get back to suburbia ??? It'd wouldn't matter if you ran the Dexron for a couple of thousand km's before switching back to LHM (and flushing it/cleaning the filters).

seeya,
Shane L.

Andy,

If'n ya hadda asked four days ago you would have been bathing in LHM by now. I was in Cooma on Thursday and Friday.

DO NOT buy the Castrol LHM plus as it works out to around $30/litre. One 5l of Dexron III will cost the same. Do not ask for advice when you buy the Dexron or they will try to lock you up as a loony. Just buy it and walk out of the shop.:crazy:

BTW - I hope you are getting some skiing in. The snow reports from the locals were amazing. Mind you, not having skied for 13 years, it would probably kill me now!:disappr:

UFO said:
Andy,

DO NOT buy the Castrol LHM plus as it works out to around $30/litre :

They've got Johnny Walker on special for $24.95 a bottle at the local bottle shop. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Before you start whacking ATF and so on in with great gusto, might be an idea to go looking for green drops of blood on the snow to try to find out where it's all leaking from.
Nobody from aussiefrogs heading that way who could drop a couple of litres up there?
Seems a shame to sacrifice a tank even partially full of LHM by contaminating it with ATF if all it needs is a top up, after all, the brakes will all have to be bled thoroughly to get all the red crap out before the new LHM is put in so there's more than just the LHM at stake and if it's down it's either leaking or a sphere has gone pop, so if it's a leak, it's good money after bad if the leak's not sorted.

Alan S

Andy N said:
Hey frenchies
Cheers, Andy

Andy the Snowman has Jinxed me :cry: .

I was adjusting the lights on my CX Sunday night and guess what? Yep the bloody toggle on the dipper switch bu:moon::moon:erd up. I was amazed at how easy they are to pull apart, no second or third elbow needed :eek:

Problem was the W bit of plastic that is the toggle part of the switch had some how dislodged it's self from the whole shebang. A bit of head scratching and probing and then "snap" :cheers: it's back in place, EASY PEASY.

I have 4 litres of LHM I can get to Tumut on Friday if that helps.

Cooch

Last edited:
Thanks all for all this help. I couldn't find this post initially so posted on parts wanted. The car is up for rego this week so I hope it passes the pink slip!
Cooch, I think I should take you up on that offer on Friday, I was there last week! It's a great drive there along the snowy mountains highway and a good three hours. Any ideas on how to get to that dammned oil filter?!
I'll be getting a long handle for a 21mm socket to get that drain plug off too.
Occasionally there is a little puddle of green stuff under the car when I leave it for more than a day, did the taste test and it is coolant antifreeze so not too bad.
Alan, just as I was going to run and get some dex, I think too it may not be good just yet, but can I do damage if the fluid gets too low?
My address is Andrew Naughton c/o Jindabyne post office, Jindabyne NSW 2627 if you happen to get that part Shane. Let me know and I'll send a return post pack and some money, you could pop in one of those CD roms at the same time if you have one. I'll check this again on Friday but get back to Cooch earlier about LHM.
Regards, Andy :D

You need to get the front of the car on a pair of ramps, then wriggle on your back under the car, to behind the front subframe. then reach through it. you might need an extension bar, a strap wrench, and a ratchet. It's the worst possible place to put a filter. john s

Oh yeah, do it with the engine oil at a warm temperature, as the oil will inevitbly run down your arm as you unscrew the filter, and warm oil is less unpleasent than cold! :joker:

smiffy1071 said:
You need to get the front of the car on a pair of ramps, then wriggle on your back under the car, to behind the front subframe. then reach through it. you might need an extension bar, a strap wrench, and a ratchet. It's the worst possible place to put a filter. john s

Written by someone who has obviously never done a filter change on a BX Tri

smiffy1071 said:
Oh yeah, do it with the engine oil at a warm temperature, as the oil will inevitbly run down your arm as you unscrew the filter, and warm oil is less unpleasent than cold! :joker:

WAY too much information thanks smiffy!

By the way, any relation to the Sergeant on "The Bill" :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

UFO said:

Huh? the BX injection, is the same engine as my ZX 19i, and doing the filter in that was a piece of cake!

You have a sordid mind craig! :cancan:

By the way, any relation to the Sergeant on "The Bill" :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

I never watch soaps, so I can't comment. Very unlikely I would have thought!
john s

UFO said:

The BX isn't to bad. In a similar to the CX you need to get underneath and use one of those contracting 3 legged filter removal tools that contract when you use a 3/8" socket bar in them. They will then both dump oil on your while you try to remove them. At least on the BX the oil doesn't end up on the exhaust :mad:

seeya,
Shane L.

Andy,

The ultimate filter remover is available from SuperCheap and isn't expensive.
I refer to it as a "Spider" type one in that it is a spindly looking thing with three metal legs on it and on the box it's described as "Oil Filter - Ratchet wrench" fully adjustable from 65mm - 120mm
Part number on top of the box is FT 502 bar code 9 315071 470302

If you get the car up on ramps and then slide in behind the rear of the drive train and shine a light between the crossmember and body, you'll see a gap almost large enough to slip an arm or two into. Get a socket and a few extensions and this remover has a bolt head around 19mm socket size or alternatively, you can fit a 3/8" male extension end straight into it. The legs sit on the outside of the filter and the tighter the filter is, the harder they grip; I've never seen a filter yet that one of these couldn't shift.
If Cooch is heading your way, perhaps he may be able to grab one and bring it with him. FWIW, I found as good an oil as any for the CX engines when I had mine was Caltex Havoline Premium 20W/50
Refitting the oil filter needs only to be hand tight. Don't use the strap or you might never get it off again.

Alan S

A few minutes to check emails before work.
If Cooch is still going to Tumut tomorrow I will take the drive there.
My phone needs a charge but if you could please PM me and let me know where you'll be that would be great.
I had an unknown missed call from that area and not sure if it's you as I have a few relos there.
I bought a handle and a 21mm socket for the drain plug so next buy is ramps and that spider thing....didn't see a supercheap near here but will look elsewhere.
At Flynns wreckers out of Cooma they have a D apparently in 80% condition but sitting there for 7 years...I will check it out next time I'm there. No other Cits around but waved at a Xsara driver going through Berridale yesterday.
The brake warning light is flashing on and off, is that the low LHM and is that why the steering has little power left?
Bye, Andy :headbang:

Yep that'll drop the power steering alright. Have you seen any leaks yet? Got me stuffed where it has gone to if there's no leak apparent unless a sphere has blown.
Haven't you got a charger for the phone there? Be much easier if you can contact someone if need be in case Cooch has any dramas.

Alan S

ANDY - CHECK YOUR PMs

Check your PMs mate, I have arranged some local help for you.:headbang: And check your SMSs on your phone if you have some charge.

Last edited:
Alan S said:
Yep that'll drop the power steering alright. Have you seen any leaks yet? Got me stuffed where it has gone to if there's no leak apparent unless a sphere has blown.
Haven't you got a charger for the phone there? Be much easier if you can contact someone if need be in case Cooch has any dramas.

Alan S

Hey Allan I take classes in DRAMA :joker:

Yo Andy

I can get the 2 ltr LHM (penrite) sorry I thought it was 4 ltrs, to Tumut via my father in law by about 4-30 Friday, I can give you his address or alternatively you can ring me and give me your rellys address and he can drop it off.

Or I have a friend, Craig in town at the moment who is working at Cabramurra and is going back there say Monday, if this helps.

I payed my uncle $40-00 for it, He got it in Goulburn when he got his D, same $ to you.

My phone no is 02 69 422423, ring between 7-30 n 8-30am tomorrow or anny time over the weekend, all I will be doing is, see my post "My Mechanic" on this Forum:cheers: .

will stay on line for a while if you want to reply tonight.

Cooch. :wink2:

Ps What the ..... does PM mean? anyone? obviously Andy works nights and this is a bit of a problem as time is running short.

PPs Looks like UFO has the situation under control. :cool:

PPPs Stuff it Ill send the LHM to Tumut anyway as I,m going to run ATF in my CX for a while and wont need any LHM in a hurry, so if the Cabramurra option is on, I can get Craig to pick up the LHM from my father in laws place in Tumut on his way through.

Hoo roo :cancan:

Last edited:
Cooch

A PM is a Private Message - like an email only it stays within AussieFrogs and only the sender and recipient can see it.

I have sent you one.

:)