CX diesel familiale questions

Jason Morris

Fellow Frogger
Hi, I have jumped over to the dark side from the Peugeot forum to ask this....

I had a '75 CX2000 with manual steer, it was a reliable car despite being thrased, had to give it away when I got married, steering too much hard work around town. Only problems I had were gearbox synchro, rear arm bearing and the usual split LHM intake hose over the four years I had it.

We currently have a 'special' Pug 505 V6 familale but I'm looking sideways at the CX 8-seater option, although they're rare here in NZ :cry: . Can anyone tell me if a LHD diesel engine/box will go into a RHD diesel body - any immediate issues come to mind ? (same model year etc). Do the CX diesels use Peugeot engines or were they their own? The un-turbo diesel would sure be a come down from the 170hp efi V6!!!
Thanks
Jason (I really need a triple garage...)

Jason Morris said:
Hi, I have jumped over to the dark side from the Peugeot forum to ask this....

I had a '75 CX2000 with manual steer, it was a reliable car despite being thrased, had to give it away when I got married, steering too much hard work around town. Only problems I had were gearbox synchro, rear arm bearing and the usual split LHM intake hose over the four years I had it.

We currently have a 'special' Pug 505 V6 familale but I'm looking sideways at the CX 8-seater option, although they're rare here in NZ :cry: . Can anyone tell me if a LHD diesel engine/box will go into a RHD diesel body - any immediate issues come to mind ? (same model year etc). Do the CX diesels use Peugeot engines or were they their own? The un-turbo diesel would sure be a come down from the 170hp efi V6!!!
Thanks
Jason (I really need a triple garage...)

The CX2500 deisel is a plodder, but much better than the early deisel poogoe motors (and Merc motors come to that). They gather momentum as opposed to 'accellerate'. They love highway, just pick a speed between 50 and 90mph an it'll hold it indefinatly and return 40mpg while doing so.

Just what are you trying to fit the deisel motor and gearbox into ?? You problem will be driveshafts. pre '82 CX's have a narrower front track. The driveshaft lengths are different for:

--4spd/cmatic (narrow track)
--4spd/cmatic (wide track)
--5spd wide track
--5spd narrow track
--automatic wide track
--automatic narrow track (I'm not sure if these existed).

ie: you'll need to ensure you have the right driveshafts. I hope your not intending to all this effort for an old CX without daravi steering, it'll be quite impossible for your wife to park if it doesn't have power steering.

I don't really see any problems (especially if the car is already deisel, otherwise you need to think about fueling ie: fuel lines, fuel tank etc...).

To my knowledge there would be no difference just because the steering wheel is on the wrong side in france.

seeya,
Shane L.

Rare? That "Iko Iko" wagon that used to park aroud Kelburn came up on trademe last year for about $1500. Alan Sklenars in Hamilton had an auto wagon that he was wrecking not long before that. My father tried to buy it off him because it was too good to wreck, but the rego had expired and Alan never chased it up. Which gives you some idea of how much he expected to get for it...

I'm pretty sure CX wagons were sold new in NZ, so they aren't anywhere near as hard to find as they are in Oz. You'd be better off spending the time to track one down than rush into converting a LHD car IMHO -- get in touch with Alan Sklenars, or try and track down Terry Faulkner from Masterton (although he's retired and I'm not sure what happened to his business).

:2cents:
Chris

PS: I just had a look on Tradme and I see the reason(s) for you question :roflmao:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Citroen/auction-31301530.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Citroen/auction-31301186.htm

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick...

Last edited:
There was a CX diesel wagon in Napier about 10 years ago that i looked at buying but didn't, so they are around.

Terry Faulkner is retired and has sold his business, I heard on the grape vine the garage was closed and the stuff sold off.

Your best bet on CX's and diesels would be Phil Jones from Auto France in Auckland. If youre thinking what I'm thinking..... I saw a LHD diesel for sale on tradme a week or two ago, I am fairly sure that was Phils car, I would suggest you ntalk to him about possible swaps etc.

I just took a look at trademe, how bout buying the wagon body and importing a turbo diesel front cut from england ? would make an awesome car ....

yeah, I'd asked the owners about that IKO IKO wagon a couple of years ago before getting the V6 505. Nice car, I prefer the series II look. Can't believe I missed it on trademe! I really shouldn't take on any more projects at the moment, so I think I'll leave the CX thing unless something happens to the 505, or I inherit garage space....
Thanks