CX C-Matic Missing Dipstick

doggiedog

Fellow Frogger
Hi All,
For the past few days the CX has been leaving spots of Trans fluid on the ground, and thinking it was coming from the leaking solenoid v/v, said OK, must have got a bit worse, must check the fluid level.
This morning, I took the car to the shopping centre, and there was a 1 or 2 second delay between engaging a gear, and having drive in that gear, ie you would go from 3rd to 2nd, push the accelerator, and the engine would rev freely, then the gear would engage. Mmnn I said soundslike the fluid level is low.
Went to check the fluid level, Uhoh, what a mess of red fluid over the firewall.
Wheres the dipstick.
It seems the dipstick has fallen out and the gearbox is pissing oil everywhere.
Does anyone ave any suggestions of what I can use to replace it with in the interim.
I thought about a cork, but I dont want to get bits of cork inside the transmission.
Im toying with the idea of whittling down a bit of broom handle but I'm not sure if it will stay there.
I will have to get a dipstick from somewhere, but I also have no idea how much fluid to put in. Ill have to guess for now.

Try a hardware store that sells drip irrigation stuff and check out the bungs that fit into the ends of the pipes. I think you'll find thay all come in weird sizes (ie) 13mm, 19mm, 21mm etc. I would guess that a 13 should almost fit the hole but wind a bit of tie wire under the head of it so it can be pulled out when necessary.
Beauty is they only cost about 10 - 20 cents each so you can buy a few to experiment or to butcher to fit. They also have a lip partway down from the head so they don't fall out real easily yet shouldn't jam in.

Alan S

you wouldnt know roughly what the oil level should be in the g/box, Ive put 1 bottle of tqf in and its not showing on the piece of wire im using as a dipstick, (about 5 inches long).Im about to put another in!!!

Hi Terry,

what's your postal address. If your stuck I could get Ang to drop a dipstick on the post to you tomorrow (I'll be at work).

seeya,
Shane L.