CX Backfires

TIm2cv

Tadpole
Hey,
I have a CX 25 GTI Turbo 2 1988 and it is a pain to start. Sometimes motor turns over and over then it backfires and starts. Im no expert but this cant be right! :confused: Once its been started it runs fine but I have noticed it is very jumpy if in traffic or just trying to keep a steady 30mph. It goes fine under acceleration and over run.
Any ideas or questions?
Thanks
TIMMY! :crazy:

I know that this has nothing to do with your post and Im sorry man I don't know too much about the turbos...
This is my story...Once upon a time, like some 2 years ago, i went to start my cx prestige and it didn't start at first time so i openned the bonnet and everything was OK, so new start...turned the key and a huge explosion that made the plastic part of the inlet manifold to jump by the airs...I said it was a huge explosion...i put all where it belongs and tried again and now it started like nothing has happened. The same story has happened to a friend who has a prestige too...It don't start hot and he was trying to make it start and that happened...the "explosion"...what is that?

Does the Turbo II have a cold start injector ?? These are timer based. You would need to check the cold start timer and ensure the cold start injector is not dribbling all the time. For it to backfire though wouldn't the timing need to be out ?? Suggest possibly you check the flywheel sender and clean it's pickup and wiring connections ??

We need to think about what is different when the motor is cold. I imagine:

--cold start timer circuit
--auxilary air flow sender and pipework

would be a good place to start.

seeya
Shane L.
PS: The fact it's a 'Turbo' should have nothing to do with it's cold starting ability.

DoubleChevron said:
Does the Turbo II have a cold start injector ?? Suggest possibly you check the flywheel sender and clean it's pickup and wiring connections ??

--auxilary air flow sender and pipework

would be a good place to start.

seeya
Shane L.
PS: The fact it's a 'Turbo' should have nothing to do with it's cold starting ability.

The turbo II doesn't have a cold start injector. The wiring connections are the hot favourite here, as the engine has recently been out for a clutch change. john s