cv joints on 306

jimmyd

Tadpole
:cry: I have a definite cv joint problem--the whole world can hear it as i corner left! I have made a few enquiries and it appears the most likely solution is to have the offending joint reconditioned somewhere in Melb--Universe Motors in Richmond said it would cost around $400 +

a) does this sound like the best solution?
b) has anyone had any good/bad experiences with Universe Motors that I should know about? (they are close by so it is easy to leave the car with them)

what are new ones worth ?

i wouldn't stuff around with a rebuilt one as how do they rebuild them ????

they wear ther knuckles and the rollers and the cage so you need to replace everything anyway and that's replacement not rebuilding in my books

i have seen people put these so called rebuilt ones into their jap things and the like and they seem to need replacing again 30-40k down the road where as the original seemed to have lasted over 100k or more

over to you guys but that's my opinion

Personally I will never be going to Universe Motors again. We thought we'd try them cause they're nearby. They have serviced/repaired my car (306), my mums car (405), my dads car (505), and a friends car (504).
None of us are going back.

They misdiagnosed my cars problem(s), charged me for it, then misdiagnosed it again after I complained. Seems like they want to get cars in/out as quickly as possible. My mum drove her 405 home from Universe Motors with the engine warning light on. Hmmm.

I'd suggest asking around for alternatives before taking it to Universe Motors.
They do seem to have lots of cars in their workshop though, so maybe we just got them on bad days.

Happy ending: Justin Fisher fixed the problem with my car, explained it, then called me later to make sure it was still running ok (which it was).

That sounds incredibly expensive for a driveshaft.

II paid about $250(I think) for a brand new factory BX driveshaft through French Connection in Melbourne. About 10minutes to fit myself (no exageration :dance: ).

I'd suggest giving David Cavanagh a ring to see what he'll quote you for a brand newie :cheers:

seeya,
Shane L.

jimmyd said:
:cry: I have a definite cv joint problem--the whole world can hear it as i corner left! I have made a few enquiries and it appears the most likely solution is to have the offending joint reconditioned somewhere in Melb--Universe Motors in Richmond said it would cost around $400 +

a) does this sound like the best solution?
b) has anyone had any good/bad experiences with Universe Motors that I should know about? (they are close by so it is easy to leave the car with them)

My Mi16 has been to most workshops in Melbourne and I have found the best one to be Autoparis in Boxhill. It's a bit far out but they seem to take their time with the cars to make sure everything is fixed properly.