Council Behavior???

George 1/8th said:
Thanks Graelin, your input has been very informative. I now understand the situation from both sides. :)
However, I have found out that the sticker the Council puts on the cars is a 24 hour notice. !!! :(
Now that is absolutely ridiculous. That's not much time to act. I didn't see any notice when I looked at the car at about 11am on Monday. Apparently it went at about 3pm Tuesday, which would have been 24 hrs after they put the sticker on the car. :rolleyes:
As I have to work till Saturday this week, I had no chance ...yet I was ready to remove it asap.
Even though the car no longer goes I'm planning to go and collect it, which will be a bastard of a job...but it's the principle of the thing.
Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but hey...everyone needs a hobby...mine is old CXs, and this one will not need much to make it a good car again. :cool:
Cheers....George 1/8th :cheers: :cool:

George - I think if you are working so hard as you indicate - then enjoy your hobby - you have worked for it - and it would seem that you are going to get a whole lot of car for next to nothing. Maybe you have stumbled across a CX which has been previously very well maintained (at least paint & interior as you indicate) up until just recently and the owner or last new owner just got frustrated. I'll give you a window from under the house if you like - (driving to Vic to see my Dad near Bendigo sometime in the next few days). Do you live near Port Melbourne? The last 2 times that I have taken a CX on the Spirit of Tas from Port M - people have cheered as I drove the car onto the boat - they are becoming distinctive. Well the real truth is that I am usually running late such that I am the last car on and maybe that is that is the reason for the attention!

In defence of Alan S - he has got a great sense of humour - and I reckon that his comments were probably spot on.

DoubleChevron said:
I hope this car looks visually like a peice of sh!t. I find no excuses for the council taking a reasonable looking car with only 24hours notice....... How can this legal ?????? imagine if repo companies tried this ... Do you think they' get away with this :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.
Refer to the first post - the car had been there for weeks, the day the rego runs out it gets the 24hr notice... Obviously they had marked it in the diary. I do agree though 24hrs is ridiculous though

Me get precious!!!!

Alan S said:
Don't get too precious about it unless you're of the opinion that all councils and their employees act in good faith and honesty, and if you think that, I'll see if I can grab a copy of a few Royal Commissions and Criminal Justice reports for you to scan through at your liesure.
I was after all, quoting facts that were happening in a Council close to Brisbane and I have heard of it in other places so it's not all that uncommon and yes FWIW, it was tongue in cheek.
If you feel inclined to want to take the piss out of the trades and professions I've been involved with, be my guest; I do it all the time myself.
Then again, I don't really take myself all that seriously. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Alan S :cheers:

No offence taken but not all of us are the same.

I went to Qld in early nineties to the largest Local Govt looking at their animal control section and it was a trip to the dark ages.

The animal control officers vehicles were a mess with rubbish strewen on the floors and poorly equiped and demoralised workers.

By the way I do have major concerns with Local Government and I will NEVER work for one EVER again.

I will however stick up for the many officers who do the job well and get tarrred with the bad image that current affairs loves to promote.

I do not agree with any corruption and will not be a part of it. I spent 18yrs trying to do something constructive ie at one stage (giving up my annual leave) working with Ithica TAFE to develop training courses at a National Level for the Industry.

When I walked in my door after this 18 yrs my wife said "Did you finally realise that you couldnt change the system!" I kind of reluctantly have to agree with her.

I also find that this 24 hour notice vehicle removal notice is not what I would call fair, that is why i implemented that we also place such notices in the leter box so the owner was informed.

The law in WA is 48 hrs but most policies were for seven days.

Only once did we tow a vehicle that was an Eastern States rego so untraceable in WA and found out later that the owner was taken ill and in hospital. We gave him his car with no fines or charges.

In this instance i did find a tow truck driver acting out of line and I cancelled his companies contract immediately.

I am not naieve enough to relaise that where there is temptation some will cross the line, and these people should be dealt with appropriatly.

Yes the Royal commissions I bet they start at the top of the tree in Local Govt.

Graelin

My issues start and end with people being allowed to dictate what sort of interests or hobbies their neighbours might have...

After all, this is what it's about. Neighbours complaining about neighbours' possessions or property!

There has to be more 'live and let live' go on. Like there is (generally) in the bush. Accept that some people will have a few cars in the yard, will work on them themselves, will need to have a few parts strewn around their lawn as they do so, or as they sort things out.

As long as the important issues are addressed... vermin control being principal among them.

Other than that, any attempt to dispossess people of their property should be just like any other theft in the eyes of the law.

Originally posted by George 1/8th
Apparently we PAY for the street, but the Council owns it.....

No... not at all!

We own it, they control it, we pay them to control it and we have a say in how they control it.

.....Here is an update. The Council has it. I can get it if I pay for their cost to tow it!! Then I have to go to Port melb to get it.
No problem. It's the principal of the thing.
And now it's the money. If I want it I have to pay. The parts are worth it. I think I'll do it.
I'll have to get a stat dec re ownership.
I'll keep everyone posted.
Cheers..George.!/8th.

You don't make clear here if it's the $500 touch or a lesser amount. I would continue fighting on that basis.

I believe in some councils in the UK, you can't have an unregistered car in your backyard...even if it's covered.

Australia is overgoverned, 3 tiers of gov't for 19 million population !!!!!

Ray Bell said:
My issues start and end with people being allowed to dictate what sort of interests or hobbies their neighbours might have...

After all, this is what it's about. Neighbours complaining about neighbours' possessions or property!

There has to be more 'live and let live' go on. Like there is (generally) in the bush. Accept that some people will have a few cars in the yard, will work on them themselves, will need to have a few parts strewn around their lawn as they do so, or as they sort things out.

As long as the important issues are addressed... vermin control being principal among them.

Other than that, any attempt to dispossess people of their property should be just like any other theft in the eyes of the law.
Hear, hear! i actually got interested in French cars because I used to lend my parking permits to my neighbour who had a couple of DS's, a 205 and acouple of Fiats on footy days when the council were out and about, I reckon what goes around comes around...now he gives me v cheap 205 parts!

I would be grateful if someone removed the vehicle which is now out the front of my place...

Try a long weekend

Ray Bell said:

The worst time for Neighbour complaints was after a long weekend, seemed that more than two days living next to each other was too much for them.

Can you believe two Doctors living next to each other went to court 17 times one complaint to police was the kid next door was bouncing a tennis ball in the back yard and the Health Inspector had to take noise readings of the neighbours vacuum cleaner. I could write a book on the frivolous complaints we had to deal with on a daily basis.

In the top area of town ONE communicated with Ones's Neighbour via solicitors letters!

The sad thing I notice in Australia is that we have too many politicians in the three tiers that spend all their time listening to petty grievences taking them on board and making another law to take away a freedom once held.

I spent ten yrs of my youth in New Zealand and my brother has just come back from a holiday there. There was this thing called Kiwi inginuity and I remember people building all sorts of contraptions from stupidly overpowered go carts to wright brothers replicas with a Honda 175 engine.
My brother said this kind of thing still happens is he right?

If so have we become so over goverened that we as a nation are now scared to do anything different or seen as potentially dangerous that we have succumbed to this.

One example is helmets on push bikes. Out of choice I would wear one most times but now it is law if I don't I am a criminal. Is this what we want? Filling our court rooms with people whos dared to ride a bycycle helmetless sitting next to someone who's sprinkler sprayed on to a footpath?

Governments seem hell bent on removing our freedom as individuals.
Do other people seee this or is it just me?

Ray most of our time in Local Goverment Rangers was taken up with neighbours complaints.

Just as I go of to bed I'll leave you with the one who complained that some blades of grass from a neighbours lawnmower landed on the roadway and wanted him prosecuted!

Cheers

Graelin

knucklehead said:
I believe in some councils in the UK, you can't have an unregistered car in your backyard...even if it's covered.

Australia is overgoverned, 3 tiers of gov't for 19 million population !!!!!
Please allow me to clear this confusion up. If you live in local authority (council) housing, even if the house has a driveway, or garden, then any car parked in that garden or driveway MUST be taxed. You would get a warning, and the vehicle would be removed. Mind you, if the house has a garage, and there was a car hidden inside, how would anyone know?
NOW, if you are a home-owner, that is private property, and the council has no power to do anything, unless it it a public health/safety hazzard. john s

The only real fines I've ever had :confused: :confused:

"Riding a pushbike without a helmet" about 8years ago... Would you the same @sshole cop got me for that about 6times. I had been riding a bike to school and all over since I was 5years old.... Then suddenly when I was about 17/18 the government decided I had to wear a helmet. After years of the wind blowing through my hair I HATED wearing the bloody thing.... Then it got pinched within a couple of weeks. I thought "bugger this for a joke, if I get any fines it'll be cheaper than replacing the bloody helmets"...... 6times in about 6months I was booked for it. The police officers even demanded several times my car license... My responce is and ALWAYS will be "I don't need a license to ride my bike". They seemed to think they could intimidate me into handing my license over "Don't have a pushbike license mate, didn't know I needed one". They would get seriously p!$$ed with you (that's probably why they kept an eye out for me).

Strangly now when I ride my bike, I don't mind wearing a helmet. I guess I've forgotten what it was like to have the freedom to have the wind blowing through my hair :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

seeya,
Shane L.

smiffy1071 said:
Please allow me to clear this confusion up. If you live in local authority (council) housing, even if the house has a driveway, or garden, then any car parked in that garden or driveway MUST be taxed. You would get a warning, and the vehicle would be removed. Mind you, if the house has a garage, and there was a car hidden inside, how would anyone know?
NOW, if you are a home-owner, that is private property, and the council has no power to do anything, unless it it a public health/safety hazzard. john s

But if you have hidden the car off the road for say ... 5years over there, I thought you then had to pay 5years worth of back tax's/rego's before they'd allow you to re-register it :confused: (or am I confusing that with the USA).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
But if you have hidden the car off the road for say ... 5years over there, I thought you then had to pay 5years worth of back tax's/rego's before they'd allow you to re-register it :confused: (or am I confusing that with the USA).

seeya,
Shane L.
No, you only get stung for back tax, if you are caught using the car on a public highway. The penalty for doing that, is to pay either 5 times the annual annual rate of tax, back to when the vehicle last had tax, or a £5000 fine, whichever is higher :eek: :eek: And, as it is HM customs and excise who would be prosecuting you, there is also the possibility of a jail sentence too!!! john s

Smiffy I think that is fair enough, so long as it does not come down that heavily on someone who’s rego/tax is a couple of days overdue for example. I understand there is a worsening problem over there of people driving untaxed and uninsured cars (there is here) and the problems that could happen are huge.

Re bike helmets – surely that comes under the same category as seat belts? Do you also object to those? About 15 years ago when helmets were really coming in (prior to any laws if I remember correctly) a friend of my fathers had a simple accident out on his morning ride, headbutted a guard rail and died, he actually had a helmet on order.

Mind you even after the laws came in the local police would turn a blind eye to a 70-80 y.o. bloke who road along the quiet residential streets of our small country town at approx jogging pace, sans helmet. Now that is a case of common sense for you!

johnh875 said:
Smiffy I think that is fair enough, so long as it does not come down that heavily on someone who’s rego/tax is a couple of days overdue for example. I understand there is a worsening problem over there of people driving untaxed and uninsured cars (there is here) and the problems that could happen are huge.

Re bike helmets – surely that comes under the same category as seat belts? Do you also object to those? About 15 years ago when helmets were really coming in (prior to any laws if I remember correctly) a friend of my fathers had a simple accident out on his morning ride, headbutted a guard rail and died, he actually had a helmet on order.

Mind you even after the laws came in the local police would turn a blind eye to a 70-80 y.o. bloke who road along the quiet residential streets of our small country town at approx jogging pace, sans helmet. Now that is a case of common sense for you!

The problem is your on a bike ..... And as such you would leave the helmet tied in with the bike lock. I had 3helmets stolen in a very short period of time and gave up on them :mad: (they must cut them off ... which makes the helmet useless anyway :confused: ).

Really though, it should be a personal choice ... Of course I don't object to wearing seatbelts. But lets compare apples with apples. If some sh!t for brains middle aged women driving her 3ton tank hits you with the roo bar... a piddly little pushbike helmet isnt' going to be a great help ...

The first time I rode my "new" pushbike about two years ago I destroyed one of it's lightweight alloy wheels across the local railway crossing. Some stupid b!tch in a brand new landcruiser went out around me, then when she was level with my bike she swung back over into the lane ... I had two choices, get side swiped by the bloody sidesteps on the huge chunk of sh!t or head off the crossing across the bloody great train tracks. I stayed on the bike but destroyed it's back wheel (I managed to bunnyhop the first track but landed heavily on the 2nd track).

Obviously I didn't catch the brainless b!tch or they'd still be trying to extract her perixide blonde head from the wank tanks bullbar.

seeya,
Shane L.

Bike helmuts, it seems, unfortunately fit in there right next to speed camera, there are no statistical improvements for bike riders by wearing them, in some cases worse outcomes were experienced by young riders snapping their neck in relatively minor accidents by virtue of wearing peak style baseball caps under their helmets.

Shane perhaps it keeps the hair from falling out these days? Congrats on the clutch change.

ed ge

Shane, I use a d-lock and put it through one of the vent holes in the helmet, not the strap.

Ed ge - well the peaked cap thing is a matter of education (ie in schools) but I'm gunna stop now I can feel a rant coming on lol

Originally posted by edgedweller
Bike helmets, it seems, unfortunately fit in there right next to speed camera, there are no statistical improvements for bike riders by wearing them, in some cases worse outcomes were experienced by young riders snapping their neck in relatively minor accidents by virtue of wearing peak style baseball caps under their helmets.....

I've never heard of this before... do you have any references?

edgedweller said:
worse outcomes were experienced by young riders snapping their neck in relatively minor accidents by virtue of wearing peak style baseball caps under their helmets.

That seems a bit odd as my helmet has a visor on it. It wasn't a cheap one either...

Hey guys, ere somepart of Australia Talks Back on Radio National and some other background programme.... on ABC .....the upshot of which was that a well meaning female in some church or charity position had been apalled at statistics she read on head injuries from bicycle accidents, coincidentally it was an election year in Victoria (I think) and propiciously there was room for a communmity, feel good, policy push and despite last minute protests that figures were inaccurate because they had considered only pre-teen injuries wildy disproportionate to community wide cycling accidents, laws were passed, the figures for such injuries remain reasonabley stable because the same age group continue to injure themselves in the backyard without helmuts with parental consent because they're not on roads.

The story as I nose it, your honour, cross my heart, bless my soul, strike me down, without a word of a lie, you believe me don't you. or maybe its was my ex girlfriend's, sister's, boyfriend's, mates', work's, sandwich shop's, junior thickshake maker?

ed ge

How's that for one of life's furphys.

The same female is responsible for seat belts, speed cameras, the crash of the last shuttle and mononucleosis.