Council Behavior???

And another one

Perhaps she was a bit precious]

The Mayors wife phoned one day from THE posh part of Perth.

She wanted me to move the Falcon with patches on it's paint from outside her house because she was having a Garden Party that afternoon!

Before anyone asks no we didnt steal it!

Graelin

DoubleChevron said:
The only real fines I've ever had :confused: :confused:

"Riding a pushbike without a helmet" about 8years ago... Would you the same @sshole cop got me for that about 6times. I had been riding a bike to school and all over since I was 5years old.... Then suddenly when I was about 17/18 the government decided I had to wear a helmet. After years of the wind blowing through my hair I HATED wearing the bloody thing.... Then it got pinched within a couple of weeks. I thought "bugger this for a joke, if I get any fines it'll be cheaper than replacing the bloody helmets"...... 6times in about 6months I was booked for it. The police officers even demanded several times my car license... My responce is and ALWAYS will be "I don't need a license to ride my bike". They seemed to think they could intimidate me into handing my license over "Don't have a pushbike license mate, didn't know I needed one". They would get seriously p!$$ed with you (that's probably why they kept an eye out for me).

Strangly now when I ride my bike, I don't mind wearing a helmet. I guess I've forgotten what it was like to have the freedom to have the wind blowing through my hair :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane

There is another test that you may not have heard of amongst police " The attitude test" I kind of get the feeling that you may not have passed it with this cop!

Graelin

Behind the issue

Troublesome Youths!!

Due to extreme vandaliam in our area $65,000 in one month.

I set up an operation with Police targetting this.

The detective I spent the day with spent most of it stopping teenagers for not wearing helmets.

Do you know that he knew his area well, and every teenager he spoke to without fail had an older brother in prison.

I enquired why he was stopping these teenagers for this minor offence and his response was that he was refering every caution to Family and Childrens Services so that the teenager would come to their notice and therefore get intervention so that they did not end up in prison like brothers had.

In this case the motives for stopping the teenagers were not to harrass them but to genuinly get kids at a real risk the help they needed.

This was the last major operation I ran and yes all I got from one Councillor was critisisim for harrassing youth recreating in councils open space.

Now all we targetted were the areas being vandalised on Saturday night. Residents actually came out and congatulated us one saying the first time in his life he will gladly pay his rates as normally on Sunday the are on beach front was a covered in broken glass.

Did the Councils Social Workers assist with those youth? No they gave a report to the committee that they had done some dace painting in the local park on Sunday Afternoon. The Councillors applauded them!! The social worker like mindless zomby puppets nodded there heads in approval of every word of critisism of our operation from the Councilor.

I then wrote the Council a "Proactive Intervntion Strategy" PIS for short ( I don't think they got that one) Where i recommended that all the Social workers schemes such as above face painting, be taken to the trouble spots at night to work with the people who need their services. Guess what it never happend.

I then decided I was wasting my life and resigned.

Graelin

Graelin said:
Shane

There is another test that you may not have heard of amongst police " The attitude test" I kind of get the feeling that you may not have passed it with this cop!

Graelin

No doubt ... Still, until there is a pushbike license they can request/demand my *car* license till there old & grey .... Pigs will fly over a frozen hell before I hand my car license over (let me guess they'll probably try to remove points from it ... :confused: ). I still don't understand what my car license has to do with riding a pushbike.

Not a problem anymore, I don't mind wearing a helmet ...... and the last time I saw a police car out on patrol was about 2000 :roflmao: :roflmao: :cancan:

seeya,
Shane L.

Graelin said:
Troublesome Youths!!

I then wrote the Council a "Proactive Intervntion Strategy" PIS for short ( I don't think they got that one) Where i recommended that all the Social workers schemes such as above face painting, be taken to the trouble spots at night to work with the people who need their services. Guess what it never happend.

I then decided I was wasting my life and resigned.

Graelin

There's no simple answer to this one ... No doubt the right thing was done... However pulling the kids over to "book them for not wearing a helmet"... Just how much respect do you expect them to have for police when there hasstled constantly for these types of minor offences.

The answer is probably to get police out there and pushbikes & skateboards and interact with them as opposed to being seen as 'Pigs' that just try to hastle them for anything and everything they can think of :confused: :confused:

No simple answer to this one.

seeya,
Shane L.

Ray

Ray Bell said:
Oh my, Graelin... that officer sounds like he was bucking to get onto the Highway Patrol!

Speed camera division...

Have to disagree Ray he was not booking them but raising their profile to get intervention before they went down the same track as their brothers and he was very genuine in doing this.

What does get me is Social Workers who do not do their jobs and rely on us out there to pick up the pieces then critisise police rangers etc.

I never in 21 years in these roles ever saw any of the Local Government Social Workers out in the field when there was any risk of danger.

Yes much easier to do 9-5 in an office behind locked doors.

If there is one thing I would change Ray it would be to better equip persons considered as Law Enforcement Officers and I do disagree with that term in including psychology into their training.

I have designed training courses with psychologists and they have admitted that we deal with more people with disorders than they see in their practices.

The reason I disagree with the term "Law Enforcement Officer" is it that it programs and limits the officer in his ability to see the bigger picture of what may be going on.

If I train Rangers the first question I ask is what are they? They will give answer we are Law Enforcement officers. I then to a task analysis with them and at end of that ask "How much time do you spend on actual law enforcement" The answer is usually three percent.

Shane yes a valid point in getting them (police) involved. The best cop I ever met didn't lay down the law he spoke to us young guys about our motor cycles and if we were doing wrong a quiet word form him on the side got us doing the right thing with out using a ticket book.
In effect we saw this officer as a friend, can you believe he actually came around to my house and gave me books on hotting up my BSA Bantam!

May be we should have a more positive thread on good cops I have met?

Why because after 21 years of continual daily critisism of how I do my job I gave it away.

It does grind you down mentally and I looked around at all the Senior Rangers that retired all had heart and or depression conditions. Therfore at 43yo I left.

An example of the job? Try to put a dog exercise area in a park- immediately you alienate non dog owners around 50% of population, try to take one out and again the others are up in arms, you just cant win.

Remove a derelict car !!!!!!! You can't win.

Graelin

the thing is more people don't like non going/unreg cars in backyards the same as most people wouldn't like to have a dog breeder/kennels or the like next door to them as well

it all comes down to all these other people trying to keep their property values up if the need arises that they want to sell their property

i can see if from their point of view very easily

most of us on here enjoy our cars and don't mind having the odd car sitting in the yard for their own use

if these people who don't want their neighbours to have derelict cars in backyards then they have the right to do something about it otherwise they would have chosen to live next door to a wrecking yard

the easiest way out is to try and keep them all in an enclosed garage so they aren't eyesores and that way everyone is happy

Amenity

pugrambo said:
the thing is more people don't like non going/unreg cars in backyards the same as most people wouldn't like to have a dog breeder/kennels or the like next door to them as well

it all comes down to all these other people trying to keep their property values up if the need arises that they want to sell their property

i can see if from their point of view very easily

most of us on here enjoy our cars and don't mind having the odd car sitting in the yard for their own use

if these people who don't want their neighbours to have derelict cars in backyards then they have the right to do something about it otherwise they would have chosen to live next door to a wrecking yard

the easiest way out is to try and keep them all in an enclosed garage so they aren't eyesores and that way everyone is happy

Sorry hit wrong button.

Amenity legislation is an attempt by Local Govt to do this. The difficulty with any legislation is putting it in to effect. What is considered to be reducing the value of an area is subjective and I certainly would not like to have to sell my house with abandoned cars with smashed windows in the street. Hence there may well have been pressure brought to bear on the Council to remove the Citroen that started all of this.

Responsible neighbours who care about this will keep their old cars in a state that does not offend neighbours and reduce street values. Where most problems arise is the house like one in next suburb to me that had the complete front yard looking like a wreckers and no more cars (hulks) could be located there.
Now I bet the owner argues that these are all of great value to him.

The other side of the equasion is the Council who will not enforce this. I have a situation in Tasmania a very desirable Renault Dauphine Gordini is at an abandoned but owned house. The Gordini is there along with a number of other cars all derelict. The Gordini five years ago was in good order it now has been vandalised all windows smashed out.

I have tried to get the Gordini Owner to part with it and he refuses the Council keeps threatening him but nothing happens. Now it will probably happen that this car will be trashed and lost. It was allegidly a special put together with a hot engine by Renault Works and first in Gordini Australia. This is according to the owner.

I have an option on it but what will be left may not be worth anything.

There has to be some balance beteen the individuals rights and the communities and this has always been the difficulty facing authorities in these situations.

The easy way out is for legislation to be made that any unlicenced vehicle can not be stored on private property in the confines of townsites. Lets hope that this never arises here.

Graelin

Graelin said:
The easy way out is for legislation to be made that any unlicenced vehicle can not be stored on private property in the confines of townsites. Lets hope that this never arises here.

Graelin

The day that happens is the last time I will EVER pay my rates.... Bring on the lawyers... It's no-ones f*Ck**g business what's in my backyard. I don't care if there's 20cars out there, it no-one else business.

2houses up have put in 'L' shaped units that now look into my backward. I'm just waiting for the first complaint. from that day forward I'll find every wreck I can and park on the fenceline of the person that complains.... Failing that I'll unbolt the exhaust from the old GS and everytime I get a complaint I'll give it's motor a good run at 6:00am in the morning. The cars were there before those units went in, the BUILT the bloody things looking into my backyard .... ie: it's no my problem !

Really is it getting to the point where @ssholes and annoying pr!cks can tell you what your allowed to have in your own backyard :moon: :moon:

seeya,
Shane L.

Unfortunately, Shane, I think you will learn...

But if you're game to do this and make a test case of it, good on you! Give them heaps! I'll give you and your lawyers plenty of ideas of angles to work on.

Sounds, however, like the 'rambo will be working for the complainents.

My warped sense of humour

Shane

The Mayor with the wife who hated cars with patches on paint ouside her house.

Well I moved to another local authority and sold our wrecks to the owner of the house down the street from them.

Was driving him over the edge having all these wrecks turning up in his Million dollar row.

Graelin

DoubleChevron said:
The day that happens is the last time I will EVER pay my rates.... Bring on the lawyers... It's no-ones f*Ck**g business what's in my backyard. I don't care if there's 20cars out there, it no-one else business.

2houses up have put in 'L' shaped units that now look into my backward. I'm just waiting for the first complaint. from that day forward I'll find every wreck I can and park on the fenceline of the person that complains.... Failing that I'll unbolt the exhaust from the old GS and everytime I get a complaint I'll give it's motor a good run at 6:00am in the morning. The cars were there before those units went in, the BUILT the bloody things looking into my backyard .... ie: it's no my problem !

Really is it getting to the point where @ssholes and annoying pr!cks can tell you what your allowed to have in your own backyard :moon: :moon:

seeya,
Shane L.

nothing wrong with having cars in the backyard or in sight but as i have done over time is to make sure the more visible ones have plates on them and if the cars look a bit iffy put a cover over them but leave the plates showing :D

most people are fine so long as everything looks tidy

if you have garage room then stick them in there

no one can ever complain about what's in a shed

a lot of people don't like living next door to people with cars as they think they are going to up at all hours of the night making noise

i never have any dramas with any of my cars in the yard but i keep them out of sight and clean, ie no wrecks and if there is a wreck it is gone within a weekend

No, they don't worry so much about noise through the night... they are worried about the aesthetics, pure and simple...

Whether they think their visitors will judge them to be living in a low-class neighbourhood, whether they have to look at hulks day after day, that sort of thing.

They can build a higher fence, as far as I'm concerned. There should always be provision for people to have hobbies, to have projects and to have the cars they want. No questions asked.

If, however, there are cars that are clearly not readily redeemable, they should be given a chance to show cause as to why they're keeping them. That's all.