Coolant

Although the glycol coolants raise the boiling point, they may also be partly reponsible for your engine reaching that higher boiling point.

View attachment 226087
Always good to have real numbers!

I measured the flow rate of the 4CV water pump years ago, in situ that is. Electric pumps for larger engines were talking about 80 litres per minute. Certainly flow rate was not my overheating problem then (tiny head gasket leak).
1692315094391.png

Some comments. Glycol in the cooling system of cars for racing was banned due to its slippery nature if it leaks. So other alternatives are needed.
Glycol in the R70/30 mix was for anti freeze and raising boiling point but there were also anti corrosive agents of the green type.

Those little cans of Castrol green anti corrosion stuff that were cheap and easy to use, have gone off the market now. I have not seen them for a couple of years now.

The waterless mixes are just a bl**dy rip off and Jay probably gets a commission. Pour in a few ground up gold coins instead. ;)

In something I read years ago it was said that the increase in flow rate as the revs went up improved the heat transfer and the extra pressure of the resistance into the head helped prevent local boiling just as the engine was putting out more power. So the crude old style belt driven pump might have evolved better than known.
Jaahn

Last edited:
Some comments. Glycol in the cooling system of cars for racing was banned due to its slippery nature if it leaks. So other alternatives are needed.
Glycol in the R70/30 mix was for anti freeze and raising boiling point but there were also anti corrosive agents of the green type.

Those little cans of Castrol green anti corrosion stuff that were cheap and easy to use, have gone off the market now. I have not seen them for a couple of years now.

The waterless mixes are just a bl**dy rip off and Jay probably gets a commission. Pour in a few ground up gold coins instead. ;)

In something I read years ago it was said that the increase in flow rate as the revs went up improved the heat transfer and the extra pressure of the resistance into the head helped prevent local boiling just as the engine was putting out more power. So the crude old style belt driven pump might have evolved better than known.
Jaahn
Good points Jaahn. We've done a good hijack here.

I'd not thought of putting a pressure gauge on the pump outlet!

That's the Water Wetta demand question answered too. I'd forgotten glycol is banned. I think there's an equivalent to the little Castrol tins btw - hidden with all the bewildering range of coolants at Super Cheap.

I'd probably try running the waterless coolants. First you would need to setup a way of recovering all the coolant without leakage (for when you need to work on the motor). You need to be able to drain and store it without loss. Mine usually ends up all over the floor, no matter how much effort I put into trying to catch it :clown:

Hi.

I don't know how old these are, but I still have a couple.

Cheers
1692320589500.png

that's all my father used to run in his kombi van ..... it had a sigma motor in the back ... mild steel tubes the entire length of the vw to the bullbar mounted radiator. And never had a problem.

Non-glycol corrosion inhibitor. I suspect it is the current Castrol equivalent.

Attachments

• Tectalloy corrosion inhibitor 1 sml.JPG
    Tectalloy corrosion inhibitor 1 sml.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Tectalloy corrosion inhibitor 2 sml.JPG
    Tectalloy corrosion inhibitor 2 sml.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 76