Coolant again

Thanks. To change all four plugs on one of these takes about 20 minutes. Let's quote for half an hour. Last time I did it the four long-life plugs cost $60 - a bit more at full retail.

More like 40,000 km. They last longer, but not forever.

Well anything can fail... I understood that iridium or Platinum plugs were good for about 100,000km - perhaps that is life for modern cars? The mighty ES9J4S is onto it's 4th set (or would be if the Iridiums had been used from new).

Someone told me the iridium plugs are for life yet this one needs changing
Well anything can fail... I understood that iridium or Platinum plugs were good for about 100,000km - perhaps that is life for modern cars? The mighty ES9J4S is onto it's 4th set (or would be if the Iridiums had been used from new).
In my V6 Laguna, which has similar engine I get 120,000 Km from a set of plugs

You need a strong candle when you blow hard

The small 1.6 turbo is hard on plugs. That's why iridium or platinum are specified. NGK was the factory choice and they aren't very expensive. This thing reaches max torque at 1400 rpm, and then just hangs on to it.

The naturally aspirated version of the engine isn't so hard.

There are two of these in my tribe, and both run to 40k or so. They have a lot more zing than the 2.0 litre naturally aspirated motors.

1682577259986.png
That weeny little 1.6litre motor is generating this sort of power and torque. I'd certainly be keeping ontop of the service items like sparkplugs for sure.

To put it into perspective, the 4 litre v8 in the shitbox here ... when new (so more the twice the engine capacity and twice the number of cylinders .... and probably 10 times the fuel consumption) is 180hp (not 266hp) .... and 312Nm (not 330 over a huge rev range).

it really is phenominal the performance they are managing to get out of a 1.6litre motor.

I always thought my little pug was more zippy than what it actually is - now it is all vindicated perhaps that's why O ring seal leakage Hello?

View attachment 220687That weeny little 1.6litre motor is generating this sort of power and torque. I'd certainly be keeping ontop of the service items like sparkplugs for sure.

To put it into perspective, the 4 litre v8 in the shitbox here ... when new (so more the twice the engine capacity and twice the number of cylinders .... and probably 10 times the fuel consumption) is 180hp (not 266hp) .... and 312Nm (not 330 over a huge rev range).

it really is phenomenal the performance they are managing to get out of a 1.6litre motor.

My weeny little V6 (ES9J4S - 2.9 litre) was rated when new at 204 bhp (152kw) at 6,000 rpm and 285 Nm at 3750 rpm. Both our engines are of course naturally aspirated - not fair to directly compare them to a forced aspiration engine. I've certainly hit peak torque often enough (rarely in top gear, as that would be c. 150km/h), but suspect I've never hit peak power - in any gear!

The ES9 V6 weighs 195 kg. According to one spec sheet I just looked up, it has a life expectancy of 350,000km, so I expect mine will fall out on the road any day now. Perhaps I should just put in the recycling bin...

View attachment 220687That weeny little 1.6litre motor is generating this sort of power and torque. I'd certainly be keeping ontop of the service items like sparkplugs for sure.

it really is phenominal the performance they are managing to get out of a 1.6litre motor
Peugeot sport engines need plugs every 20k from memory

My weeny little V6 (ES9J4S - 2.9 litre) was rated when new at 204 bhp (152kw) at 6,000 rpm and 285 Nm at 3750 rpm. Both our engines are of course naturally aspirated - not fair to directly compare them to a forced aspiration engine. I've certainly hit peak torque often enough (rarely in top gear, as that would be c. 150km/h), but suspect I've never hit peak power - in any gear!

The ES9 V6 weighs 195 kg. According to one spec sheet I just looked up, it has a life expectancy of 350,000km, so I expect mine will fall out on the road any day now. Perhaps I should just put in the recycling bin...

Ok, my 2.5litre petrol turbo .... Its punching out a whopping 300Nm .... and 168hp ... That was actually considered a fast car in its day!

270hp from 1.6 litre .... but not being a laggy peaky screamer and generating diesel like torque from 1900rpm is just staggering!

Treat yourself to a DS3 THP ride, DC. 6 speed manual. All that torque not much over idle.

And laugh at the dills who pull alongside at lights and intersections to get away from the little "shopping trolley" whose name they don't recognise. They never notice that the rubber band tyres might signify something.

Treat yourself to a DS3 THP ride, DC. 6 speed manual. All that torque not much over idle.

And laugh at the dills who pull alongside at lights and intersections to get away from the little "shopping trolley" whose name they don't recognise. They never notice that the rubber band tyres might signify something.
No doubt ... someday. The modern cars just don't really interest me to any extent. Can I fit the motor into a Traction Avant maybe ?

did some checking on my 1.6 208

The Prince engines were developed by PSA (Peugeot-Citroen) in close collaboration with BMW that sought to create a “next-generation” 4-cylinder engine. The result is the THP engine (N13 in BMW, N14, and N18 in Mini), which among other cutting-edge technologies, included BMW’s VANOS (variable valve timing), inter-cooled turbocharger, and GDI (gasoline direct injection). As expected, the results were fantastic.
The smallest engine in the Prince family was a 1.4 VTi that developed 90-95 PS (66-70 kW), while its 1.6VTi variant reached an output of 120 PS (88 kW). Additionally, a turbocharged 1.6L VTi version was also produced, developing an impressive 200 HP (149 kW). Judging by these figures, you would think that these engines were a success. However, this was not the case, at least not entirely.

Prince’s engine weakness​

When Prince engines were designed, it was unthinkable that a 1.4-litre engine would make 160 N⋅m or that a supercharged 1.6-litre engine would have more power and torque than a six-cylinder engine (and even some V8s). That was certainly a great feat, but it had some unintended effects.
Simply put, the THP engines were not prepared to handle so much power and torque. This brought some serious drawbacks.
  • Faster than expected carbon build-up on the engine valves
  • Problems in the lubrication system leading to excessive engine oil consumption.
  • Recurrent timing chain failures, mainly due to the lubrication problems mentioned above.
Given the severity of these problems, the PSA group released a new Euro 6 engine that ameliorated many of the problems of the Prince engine family. The question you may be asking yourself is, how can I prevent all these problems without having to change my car?

The solution is simpler than you think.​

As we have already mentioned, the problems with THP engines are caused by two fundamental issues, poor lubrication and carbon build-up in the valves. Fortunately, TecFlow has the ideal solution for each of these problems.
Ceramic Lubricants. Our incredible line of ceramic-based products is the perfect solution to lessen the wear and tear caused by the lack of lubrication in the internal parts of the THP engine. Whether you use our CERAMIC CHAIN SPRAY, our CERAMIC ASSEMBLY PASTE GREASE, or our CERAMIC ENGINE PROTECTOR, you will protect your engine with a film of ceramic microparticles that will considerably reduce wear.
Fuel System Cleaners. Carbon build-up on the valves is not a problem exclusive to THP engines. That is why TecFlow has developed its products for the cleaning and maintenance of the fuel system. You can confidently use the concentrated formula of our SPEED CLEANER to remove carbon from valves, injectors, cylinder heads, turbo vanes, and more. In addition, you can keep your fuel system free of harmful agents thanks to our exclusive CLEAN UP 101, a fuel additive with proven effectiveness in THP engines.
Nothing prevents you from enjoying one of the most powerful engines in its class. All you need is to perform timely preventive maintenance. TecFlow offers a wide range of products that will help you keep your THP engine in top condition!

what are ceramic lubricants? where do you put these? I always use premium petrol one would think you don't need fuel system cleaners if you always use premium 98 so why this now? I was told the 'check engine oil' warning is not unheard of for this engine and also the fact that is it not new anymore. Also, read somewhere that stop-go traffic and short-distance driving which is me - means spark plugs MUST be replaced more often.