Coolant again

Some nonsense there:

VANOS appears only in the non-turbo version of the engine; (the turbo is not in that version either).

Direct injection is in virtually every modern engine design, and this is behind carbon ash build up around the inlet ports, something shared with all other similar makes.

Oil consumption is a turbo engine only problem as the oil comes from the turbo bearing. Even so, many THP engines don't drink oil.

The timing chain failure in early engines was a problem of stretching.

Then the ads begin.

Ceramic lubricants contain minute particles of boron nitride, to coat the surfaces. They have a few industrial uses. PSA engineers and chemists know a bit about lubrication too, and have published an oil spec best suited..

Fuel additive cleaners are wishful thinking, as they have no proved effect on oil ash build up at the ports.

Behind many of the modern developments seen in this engine were the upcoming new EU lowered pollution rules. Makers had to develop new engines without loss of power under these new conditions. Combustion operation was critical. For such an expenditure they actually needed increases in power as engine production runs for years. "Prince", BTW is a BMW code word. Peugeot Citroen don't use it.

Last edited:
For clarity.
Palo, is this your engine? The aluminium bit at front is the turbo and the red tube is the intercooler intake. There are 4 spark plug coils.
Peugeot-208-THP.jpg

no that's not mine, I do not have aluminum it's plain old plastic and no red tubes as obviously it is not the turbo version. But the insight on rubbish ad was good to know and mine does not look even the slightest at all like the picture

No need to post the full VIN. Since about 2000 you only need to refer to the three characters in the VIN in positions 6, 7 and 8 to know the engine type for PSA vehicles. The VIN is visible through the LH corner of the windscreen as well as marked elsewhere on the body. For example VF7LC5FWFAY is the prefix for a C4 and 5FW indicates it has a 1.6 VTi EP6 non-turbo engine. So this Peugeot's VIN likely contains 5FW and there may have been earlier comment that it's 1.6 VTi.

Presumably looks like this ...

1682672443522.png

Last edited:
Aha! You have an EP6 1.6L naturally aspirated engine, 88 kW. The VIN code is 5FW.

Going right back to my spark plug comments, that panel with the oil filler cap passing through has a couple of screws - you can see them in the photo.

Undo the cover and there are four cables each running into an ignition coil. They have an undo lever. Then pull out the four coils from the holes with your fingers. Lever with a screwdriver if stuck. So far a couple of minutes work.

The four plugs are visible way down their holes, and the correct plug socket tool will have each out quickly. Fitting new ones is the reverse.

So you can see why a plug change is cheap, a minimal labour charge and $60 - $100 dollars for new plugs, depending on from where supplied.

thanks for that I probably would not do it, I might screw it up (no pun intended) however they did just replace new ones, only because I asked for it, I noticed when turning the ignition - it was not as instant as a spark, bit sluggish and the battery is virtually newish (actually this test came back 98%) in this service I calculated the parts which include oil filter brake fluid new spark plugs were less than $250 but the total was $eleven hundred so we know where the bulk of the expenses went - real wages as opposed to fake wages and it's not even a dealer. I wonder if a dealer would come pretty close to that price BTW if 4 spark plugs part came to $129 are these iridium? makes you wonder if car mechanics make more money than we are lead to believe.

The coolant in my 308 has always been a clear/slight brown colour. I even paid to get it flushed and changed at the Peugeot dealer once (which was surprisingly cheap, around $70 I think). Still the same. Not concerned about it.

so I took M31 for the first time and was shocked to find the speed limit is 110 km/h
Since I started driving cars, I have never driven 110 km/h, you can imagine I felt like people behind me were tailgating me even at 95 km/h It was quite an experience for me given I only do city stop-go traffic - it was also a chance for me to see how graceful and zippy my 208 handled this high-speed driving. It was very smooth very stable and it's where I can see how fast it goes. It is also very fuel efficient I drove about 30 km at that speed and then when exiting I suddenly have to slow it to 70 then 60 then 50 - all from 110 and my 208 handled it very well, I minimise using brakes and it was very responsive to pedal movements, as quick as it picks up it also slows down quickly despite minimal use of the brake It was a joy to drive my little pug on high speed.
Someone mentioned all European cars have to be able to handle the German autobahn - no speed limit that's why european care are naturally aspirated for high speed diring gracefully.

and of course, zippy engines are not much use if you don't have the right rubbers
little 208 is complimented by Continentals EcoContact