coil packs on s16, alternatives please???

dino

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
....i changed the plugs on the s16 today, replaced them with some NGKs,...Naturally to change the plugs i had to remove the Cover (cast aluminium/steel i assume)..anyway once the cover was removed (which i assume was designed to keep the coils as HOT as POSSIBLE...duhh...)...the coil-on-plug was revealed....WHAT a pile of CRAP...i really am not impressed with this...I thought coils WERE supposed to be kept away from heat???? I realise the DISTANCE from COIL2PLUG should be kept to a minimum but this is redicilous if its going to affect reliability in the long run....SURELY there must be an alternative...I would preffer to see the coil packs mounted externally (of head)...what are the options here??
ultimately I d like to run the 16 valve on either a DUAL coil or a single unit?options please?Any resident ELECS on the forum?....advice and opinions please???

cheers
dino

Assuming the S16 works on a "wasted spark" principle, firing #1 and #4 together, then #2 and #3 together, buy two twin coil packs and mount them somewhere out of harms way. Have a look at <a href="http://www.mwignitions.com." target="_blank">www.mwignitions.com.</a>

dino:
....i changed the plugs on the s16 today, replaced them with some NGKs,...Naturally to change the plugs i had to remove the Cover (cast aluminium/steel i assume)..anyway once the cover was removed (which i assume was designed to keep the coils as HOT as POSSIBLE...duhh...)...the coil-on-plug was revealed....WHAT a pile of CRAP...i really am not impressed with this...I thought coils WERE supposed to be kept away from heat???? I realise the DISTANCE from COIL2PLUG should be kept to a minimum but this is redicilous if its going to affect reliability in the long run....SURELY there must be an alternative...I would preffer to see the coil packs mounted externally (of head)...what are the options here??
ultimately I d like to run the 16 valve on either a DUAL coil or a single unit?options please?Any resident ELECS on the forum?....advice and opinions please???

cheers
dino
Im not sure on the firing style, but in 55,000K's and 5 years have only changed 1 coil. True it went on me at the worst possible time, (sydney traffic), but the car limped home no probs.... Do you really whant to change to external coils??? think about leaving the cover off.... I've done track work were the engine gets VERY hot and the coils performed fine. - chris

If it works (most of the time) why change it? I for one would not doubt Peugeot's mechanics or Bosch boffins when it comes to the selection of parts.

In any case, when you have 4 of anything in a car of course you are going to have a greater failure rate... 4 times as much funnily enough.