Cmatic woes.

What happens is the winding tries to part company with the steel body and that's why the bottom pushes down. It may be possible to carefully press it back up enough to make it operate, but that might crush the tube in the centre. You'd then need to support it.
Wasn't there a recent ad for a couple listed as GS but possibly they were CX? There's a slight difference as angru pointed out.

I'll have a look around here ..... No promises though. Its unlikely I'll find them even if there is one somewhere :blackeye:

If you can acquire a new solenoid unit make sure you fit it with a tightly fitting support strap. The plastic bottom cap will crack in a very short time. Then the windings will drop in the metal casing very quickly. It really is a sod of a design!

If you can acquire a new solenoid unit make sure you fit it with a tightly fitting support strap. The plastic bottom cap will crack in a very short time. Then the windings will drop in the metal casing very quickly. It really is a sod of a design!
The existing has the strap and cap. I hope this strap can be reused.

So assuming that a unit cannot be found and a rebuild is risky and difficult, what options are left for this CX? The reason I ask is that I am mildly tempted to investigate the CX recently advertised but am wary of such a predicament as sloperlad now has.

Funny, ours lacked that engineering but worked perfectly for the 12 years I had the car. I take the point though.

I spent years looking for spare electrovalves with that problem in mind. I had a S/H one and a new one (bought from CX Basis), which I guess ensured that the one on the car behaved.

Funny, ours lacked that engineering but worked perfectly for the 12 years I had the car. I take the point though.

I spent years looking for spare electrovalves with that problem in mind. I had a S/H one and a new one (bought from CX Basis), which I guess ensured that the one on the car behaved.
Caring to part with one of the spares if avalible?

Caring to part with one of the spares if avalible?
I'd have offered the S/H one if I hadn't sold the car a few years ago with all the spares. So sorry. :( That car has just developed its first C-matic problem in 15+ years too, and I'll bet it is the electrovalve.

I lent a third one but it never came back.

I'd have offered the S/H one if I hadn't sold the car a few years ago with all the spares. So sorry. :( That car has just developed its first C-matic problem in 15+ years too, and I'll bet it is the electrovalve.

I lent a third one but it never came back.
Thankyou

There used to be quite a big CX club in France. Might be worth chasing it down. When I spoke to them, there were about 1000 members. It might also be worth chasing the separate Citroen clubs in Oz - there are a few C-matics around and they might not have seen this post.

There used to be quite a big CX club in France. Might be worth chasing it down. When I spoke to them, there were about 1000 members. It might also be worth chasing the separate Citroen clubs in Oz - there are a few C-matics around and they might not have seen this post.
Good idea. Will do.

Try Denton at European Auto Care in Penrith but be quick. He's currently in the process of getting rid of everything as the buisness is closing down in a month.

Try Denton at European Auto Care in Penrith but be quick. He's currently in the process of getting rid of everything as the buisness is closing down in a month.
Thankyou. Phoned today, made the enquiry, will follow up Thursday.