Clunk in front left somewhere

MarcusG116

Tadpole
Hi everybody

i have done a bit of reading and seems like others have had clunks in the front end and usually it’s the bottom arm bushes.

I am getting a knock which is most noticeable when taking off or coming to a stop. It’s just a single clunk. I would award it was the gearbox month but it’s perfect. Have had mechanics look over it and they can’t see anything. I’ve replaced all front bushes except for sway bar but they are fine. I have new shocks as well as new discs and pads. Other engine mounts are fine. CV joints feel ok there is no knocking when cornering. I have also replaced the exhaust coupling at the exhaust manifold as that was knacked. Still no good. The car has done close to 400,000ks so going well but this is very very annoying. Anyone have any other ideas???

thanks
Marcus

What model is it?

FWD cars have 3 engine mounts to take the torque reaction from the wheels - don't forget the bottom one near the drive shafts.

If it's high up, I'd take a look at the bearing at the top of the McPherson strut. They thunk when worn and the horizontal load changes direction at start and stop.

I'm guessing engine mount too... Depends on what car though!

I just looked at his past posts and he has a:

"306 sedan XT with the 2litre twin cam 16v 2000 model. It's been a great family car and coming up on 380,000k's. Still goes really well".

You can't tell by looking to evaluate the swaybar links. Once you pull them out you can see if they are not tight. Any slop will cause nasty clunks. I've just replaced both sides on my 406HDI and I also did the lower balljoint on the driver's side. That is also hard to diagnose as you need to get a jemmy bar in the right spot while it's on a hoist before you can see movement. Best diagnosed at a Pug repair shop. Coles in Lismore diagnosed mine. They are superb at finding stuff that is not easy for the home guy. Now I have No more clunks.

Hi thanks for that yeah lower arms are all brand new. I haven’t done drop links will pull off again and check but they feel ok. Only things then I guess are engine mounts? They look fine and with pry bar and rocking engine still look ok. Maybe worth just changing them anyway?

icon1.gif
Clunk in front left somewhere

..is the family cat accounted for? :clown:

Some have reported the driver's side upper engine mount tearing out of the body on the 2 litres. But I assume you mean left side of the car as you sit in it rather than left as you're looking at the engine?

It sounds like left ie passenger side.
DJVU brake caliper? Not bolted on?

Could be loose mounting bolts but unlikely. Depending on caliper Style sometimes slide pins become worn and the caliper will clunk when braking and possibly when taking off. Worth a look if you have checked everything else.

Droplinks 9 times out of 10

even if they 'feel ok' there can be wear in them.

There cheap and easy to replace. 5 minutes per side

Ok so I have changed the drop links. The old ones felt fine but bought new ones so changed anyway. Still not fixed!!!
could it be CV joint maybe? There is a bit of play when in gear and rock wheel back and forth but not a clunk like my sound? I’m really at a loss on this one.
Brake caliper has a tiny bit of movement on sliding bolt but don’t think it’s that. Any other ideas??

Ok. 306, high mileage, not drop links. That only leaves the bushes on the bottom wishbone/control arm, and the top strut bearing. Check that one. I have seen them shot at 50,000 km.

I didn’t change them when I replaced the strut so I will look at them. Wouldn’t you see the strut move if it was gone though?