Clio Sport running in

bossxr

Tadpole
I'm looking at a new 182 when they arrive later this year after I see what the specs are for Oz and see how they review. Do any of the Sport owners subscirbe to the "drive it like you stole it" running in procedure for renaults? I'd probably drop the oil and change the filter @ 5000kms and wack in a semi synthetic to let the rings bed in and get the iron filing out of the system.
I'm not really interested in engine longevity as I'd sell it before it had 50,000 kms on it.
any input welcomed.

if thats what you want to do.... i guess all the demo cars get treated like that too..... remeber guys never buy demo performance cars.... they rip the shit outa them.....
Its not the test drivers that rip them its the sales reps.... if u know what i mean....

My Dad bought a R16TS in 1969 as a demonstrator. Even after the first service, when the mechanics forgot to put the oil back in (consequently it was test driven and brought back with the oil light on). Oil went in, car was driven, all seemed OK.

It all wore out about 200,000 miles later, in 1988. Not too bad a run.

bossxr said:
I'm looking at a new 182 when they arrive later this year after I see what the specs are for Oz and see how they review. Do any of the Sport owners subscirbe to the "drive it like you stole it" running in procedure for renaults? I'd probably drop the oil and change the filter @ 5000kms and wack in a semi synthetic to let the rings bed in and get the iron filing out of the system.
I'm not really interested in engine longevity as I'd sell it before it had 50,000 kms on it.
any input welcomed.

No I run in my car nice a slow, the old fashioned way.

and this is none of my business, but do consider the next person that buys your car, I think as a seller you should have some common curtesey to see that the next person don't get a sh!t box engine, unless you tell them and give them a reasonable discount.

It's strange you should bring this up. I was having a conversation with Paul from Auto Paris in Melb and we both noted that those Fuego's that had been driven hard when new, felt like they had another 10 hp under the bonnet.

There is no logical reason for this of course, but there can be a HUGE difference in feel between a babied Fuego engine and a Hard driven Fuego engine......go figure....

PS - Just Follow the manufacturers recomendations in the manual.

DO NOT putter around, as this promotes bore glazing and the Rings not bedding in properly, Just drive it normally....with a couple of moderate Fangs and longish trips in between. All should be well.....

Not caring about the next person that buys it...

hmmm, could be seen as a bit decietful to your fellow man! (assuming you didnt tell them!)

I take pride in the stuff i pay a heap of money for...
you never know, your mistreatment mite make it keel over at 49,999km & blow the engine apart. Then how you going to sell it? & you're out of pocket a lot!

I suppose it would also be kind to the environment... engines last longer & put out less pollutants, less cars have to be thrown away & less new ones made etc etc... well that's just the hippie coming out! ;)

You should probably check the manual for run-in instructions. The manufacturer would have spent heaps of money figuring out the right way to run it in. It's their reputation, it's their warranty. I'd tend to trust them.

My 306 had no run-in instructions, and so I gave it heaps from the start, including a stint at Wakefield. No problems whatsoever. It was the best damn XU10J4R I've ever sampled. I had it serviced every 20K kms too.

the instructions from the guys at Brisbane BMW are to flog the ring out of the Mini Cooper S when you buy it new. get it revving and they go alot
harder after a few more klm's on them. they dont recomend puttering around.

My brother worked at a Mazda Deaership as a mechanic, when they rebuilt engines, rotary or not as soon as the finished the rebuild they would immediatly redline the motor. and take it for a solid hard drive. They never had a motor shit itself and this is what they were told to do.

:renplak:

DoubleChevron said:
Hi Guys,

check this out:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

EVERYTHING he says makes complete sense.

seeya,
Shane L.

Yes, that's the link I was after a while back when this same topic came up. It seems from many sources that to take it easy with a new engine leads to poor bed-in and poor ongoing performance.

The best trick is to make sure the engine is first up to operating temperature, including the oil, and then RED LINE IT. Ironically this is how you care for an engine. The 'old fashioned way' is just that - the old fashioned way - maybe this was the way when engine building tolerances and manufacturing clearances weren't so reliable.

Running in a motor bike engine is a bit different to a car engine though isnt it?

I couldnt see myself buying a spakin new car then redlining it straight away.. sounds like bs to me..

I've been watching this thread I started for a while now and feel we've got a good balance of opinions. That was a really interesting article about motoman and backs up a lot I've heard from service managers and motorsport mechanics. Thanks DoubleChevron !!

I know that there are a lot of people who still want to run in according to the manual and I can respect that, but I think its important to have an open mind as technology does not stay still .... just take a look at the range of engine oils we have now versus what was available 20 or 30 yrs ago.

I guess the moral of the story is don't be over critical on someone's views until you see where they're coming from - you never know you may learn a thing or 2. I know I have.

G

Just think how much cheaper a Renault (or any car for that matter) would be if the manufacturer just didn't have to bother to write and supply instruction books with new cars. The only instructions being a key tag with an address to a public forum on the net "ask running in and maintenance advice at this address".......

N5GTi6 said:
Yes, that's the link I was after a while back when this same topic came up. It seems from many sources that to take it easy with a new engine leads to poor bed-in and poor ongoing performance.

The best trick is to make sure the engine is first up to operating temperature, including the oil, and then RED LINE IT. Ironically this is how you care for an engine. The 'old fashioned way' is just that - the old fashioned way - maybe this was the way when engine building tolerances and manufacturing clearances weren't so reliable.

Actually,

He doesn't say to 'redline it', more like consistant large throttle openings for all rev ranges, followed by lifting off from different revs and using engine braking.

Your not trying to destroy the car, just bed the rings in. :dance:

seeya,
Shane L.

Jason20 said:
Running in a motor bike engine is a bit different to a car engine though isnt it?

I couldnt see myself buying a spakin new car then redlining it straight away.. sounds like bs to me..

It's not about the revs, it's about engine load. Let it warm up and take it down some hilly country roads to let it rip. Load it up in high gears if your affraid of red lining it. It's the pressure loadings on the compression ring that is important.

Baby it and the rings won't bed in properly resulting in reduced compression and bore glazing.

BTW Most manuals since the 1980's simply say "don't accelerate hard while the engine is still cold" (but this is common sense and should be done all the time anyway) they do not say you can't load up the motor.....

DoubleChevron said:
Hi Guys,

check this out:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

EVERYTHING he says makes complete sense.

seeya,
Shane L.
I agree.
My 307 doesn't use any oil - used to have exercise runs up and down steep hills using engine braking.

The staff at my dealer tell me that demos go better than customers' cars.

The important thing is to make sure your engine is warmed up properly.

It's amazing what kind of rubbish old wives tales are still circulating - I was once told "Oh, you cant' go faster than 80km/h when the car's new" :rolleyes:

Pug307 said:
I agree.

It's amazing what kind of rubbish old wives tales are still circulating - I was once told "Oh, you cant' go faster than 80km/h when the car's new" :rolleyes:

Those people probably got that info from the net too!

Simon said:
Those people probably got that info from the net too!

I don't think the 'net' was around when all these old theories were formulated!!!

N5GTi6 said:
I don't think the 'net' was around when all these old theories were formulated!!!

Same thing, just on a more human scale rather than connected through the ether of electronics like the net of today :)