Clio Sport 182 Australian Delivery Details

bossxr

Tadpole
I spoke with Renault insiders today (not dealers) and they verified a few things for the Clio 182 CS for Australia. Launch is slated for late August/early September is Australia. The Sport will be brought over in 2 variants, 1 being the std Clio Sport pretty much as we have avail now but with the 2004 updates and the 2nd will be the Cup chassis option which includes the std options offered in UK now as discussed by BlackLotus99 a week ago. No info on whether the 3rd option of the Cup spoiler pack will be offered yet or whether it is included in the suspension pack in Australia. Both variants will be available the same time.

Basically we can order what EVO magazine tested which sounds like the business. :cheers:

Oh and by the way we now get Cruise control std !!!

bossxr said:

but at a higher price perhaps. I'd much rather not have it, crusie control is useless to me. I used to drive to brisbane from Sydney once every 2 months, at night! with zero driving aids or cruise in the Astra, was heaps of fun. fell asleep acouple of times though, but cruise control makes you more sleepy as you do less things.

Naaa I'd rather have a lower price, and had it as an option. I doubt the cruise is "free". Cup upgrade should about 1 grand max, but the thing is... if renault raise the price for the 182...its not going to be reasonable, since it is the same car. I buy a filter, and the top end power is closer to that 182 already, and i still think the new car isn't as clean as the 172.

storms_of_fate said:
but at a higher price perhaps. I'd much rather not have it, crusie control is useless to me. I used to drive to brisbane from Sydney once every 2 months, at night! with zero driving aids or cruise in the Astra, was heaps of fun. fell asleep acouple of times though, but cruise control makes you more sleepy as you do less things.

Naaa I'd rather have a lower price, and had it as an option. I doubt the cruise is "free". Cup upgrade should about 1 grand max, but the thing is... if renault raise the price for the 182...its not going to be reasonable, since it is the same car. I buy a filter, and the top end power is closer to that 182 already, and i still think the new car isn't as clean as the 172.
I guess Renault need to see who their direct competitors are and if they offer the features such as cruise std then they tend to follow suit. In the UK the 182 is the same price as the 172 was before runout discounts and the cup suspension option was 200 pounds extra so I'd say $1K would be fair if it included all of the cup suspension, wheel and tyre upgrade and front and rear spoilers (cup spoiler kit is an extra 200 pounds on top).

Cruise Control is a good option for victoria

For the common masses the cruise control will be almost a common standard accessory that they would come to expect, almost like 6 speed boxes in sporty models. You may agree or disagree but for renault it will be all about shifting units and perceived value.

As a side line I think most people will love the Cruise Control option here in Victoria as it allows you to set the speed and not become another revenue raiser for the government, with the various speeding devices they have trained on us down here now.

I use the cruise control in our Golf GTI all the time here as you have to be so careful these days on the freeways. You really have to pick and choose where to drive fast here these days. And hey if your bored on a long drive, crank the music up, get a good stereo and pump it up :)

Oh but here in victoria we have noise pollution laws, better be careful with that one too, thanks to our labor government here.......

I think a cruise control is almost a "must have" these days (like airconditioning) - I certainly would expect a new car in that price bracket to have it.

I guess if you lived in inner Sydney or Melbourne it may not get used quite so much. Coverts point about the speeding cameras is a good one though, and I guess even inner city dwellers must occasionally head out on a freeway (or is that more like a "tollway" these days!?)

storms_of_fate said:

I just want to quote your text incase you edit it. It's brilliant. You're a real thinker Karl.

Good news on the Cup. Very good news :)

As for cruise control, I agree that it's a very useful aid. It allows you to concentrate MORE on the road and not on your speedo. A very important thing in places like Victoria and heavily patrolled roads of NSW. If you're looking at your speedo and conditions constantly you will get more tired watching those things, than just looking at conditions. It's pretty simple really.

I can find some studies for you that show that cruise control systems reduce fatigue, not increase it.

As for sleeping at the wheel. Well, that's just GOLD.

that's really good news bossxr...
i've been asking about the 182 for quite a while now, but none of the dealers ever know anything (as other people from this forum have also found)
one reply i got stated that renault australia was expecting the 182, but doubted we'd get the cup chassis- which i thought sucked... so it's good news to hear that it is coming...

cruise would be another feature, and I'm not against it. But if, IF they stick that in and raise the price, I'd say its not worth it. From memory, Renault Aus did raise the price when the cars came with ESP by about 1 grand.

For me, I'd rather have the thing at the same price, with the new exhaust and cup chasis installed, get rid of the 6 stacker thing, get rid of the twin exhaust tips, you can still have twin exhaust hidden. then its a proper 182. I some how don't think this car apeals for mass sales in the first place, so why not make it a little more for the driver, or the people that buy it for what it is?

OT

macquered said:
I just want to quote your text incase you edit it. It's brilliant. You're a real thinker Karl.

you forgot to put OT for OFF TOPIC on this one pal.

storms_of_fate said:
cruise would be another feature, and I'm not against it. But if, IF they stick that in and raise the price, I'd say its not worth it. From memory, Renault Aus did raise the price when the cars came with ESP by about 1 grand.

For me, I'd rather have the thing at the same price, with the new exhaust and cup chasis installed, get rid of the 6 stacker thing, get rid of the twin exhaust tips, you can still have twin exhaust hidden. then its a proper 182. I some how don't think this car apeals for mass sales in the first place, so why not make it a little more for the driver, or the people that buy it for what it is?

Sure, but you know what? You're not someone that Renault need to attract to their car. You are already sold on the Clio, as are most enthusiasts, and you'll buy it regardless. It's the new buyers to Renault that they're trying to attract. Those that care about these features.

If the car is $32K verse $35K, you'd still buy it. So why would Renault cater to you? It's a fair question and is one I would be asking if I was in marketing at Renault.

storms_of_fate said:
you forgot to put OT for OFF TOPIC on this one pal.?

This isn't the Clio list.

Your comment and previous comments you have posted on AF have shown a flagrant disrgard for other road users. You talk about falling asleep at the wheel, you talk about doing 100kph in 60kph zones in left lanes in built up areas. You deserve all the ribbing you get here as far as I'm concerned.

GTI124 said:
If the car is $32K verse $35K, you'd still buy it. So why would Renault cater to you? It's a fair question and is one I would be asking if I was in marketing at Renault.
that would depend, i'm still sensible.

GTI124 said:
Your comment and previous comments you have posted on AF have shown a flagrant disrgard for other road users. You talk about falling asleep at the wheel, you talk about doing 100kph in 60kph zones in left lanes in built up areas. You deserve all the ribbing you get here as far as I'm concerned.

what's that got to do with the topic at hand, or anything? If I remember correctly you were going on about how fast you were traveling, sitting between 150 -180? in a country back road... but that's okay because you know what you were doing, and it was empty, so that's perfectly okay.

yes I fell asleep at the wheel, and then I pulled over for an hour.

Glad you pulled over, that's a safe thing to do. Long hours at the wheel with or without cruise control can take some time to get used to. I know when I've been on my own I can start to fatigue within an hour on a road like the Hume. It's hard work watching the speedo! (I don't have cruise and want it!).

As for my driving habits, I think we can both agree that excessive speed on roads where you do not see cars for hours has less of a risk than 100kph in the left lane during peak hour in the city. Sure, both are considered dangerous, but one action does have a lower risk to causing harm to others. Not that I'm condoning speeding, by all means.

bossxr said:
I spoke with Renault insiders today (not dealers) and they verified a few things for the Clio 182 CS for Australia. Launch is slated for late August/early September is Australia. The Sport will be brought over in 2 variants, 1 being the std Clio Sport pretty much as we have avail now but with the 2004 updates and the 2nd will be the Cup chassis option which includes the std options offered in UK now as discussed by BlackLotus99 a week ago. No info on whether the 3rd option of the Cup spoiler pack will be offered yet or whether it is included in the suspension pack in Australia. Both variants will be available the same time.

Basically we can order what EVO magazine tested which sounds like the business. :cheers:

Well, sounds like we finally have some good news at hand.
Whats the 3rd option spoiler pack? My understanding was the "cup option" gave you different wheels and tyres, firmer springs and dampers etc for 200 pounds. Im not sure I recall a spoiler pack. Anyone?
The equipment thing will be a no brainer I think. Renault Aus will order a set amount of cars in a particular configuration (with/without stacker, cruise etc) and thats how they will arrive. I doubt customers will be able to order cars to their own spec, they cant now. That said, its going to come down to what each car costs Renault aus to buy, and what the customer will pay. Thats why there is no cruise on the 172 now. In europe you can get cruise on a 172, but renault aus didnt order the cars in that spec. Thats why we dont have it.
Some have said they dont like the styling. You dont buy a car like the 182, especially the cup car for the styling, you buy it for the steer. If you dont like the way it looks, go buy something else (cooper s comes to mind here.) Euro car companies spend millions on car design and you either like it or you dont. Personal preference.
The fact is they wont sell a lot of 182s here in any case. Its not the "newest cool bmw" and never will be. We should be glad its coming here at all, whatever the spec. Hatch buyers wont be trading in their cooper s's to get into a 182, I guarantee you. Chances are, the only people who will likely notice the car is here at all are people like you guys reading this post. Its a captured market for Renault and us 172 owners, they dont need to worry whether it has cruise or a stacker, they know we will be buying it either way.
Bring on August. Are they taking deposits any time soon? I would at least like a colour choice for my new cup car!

Re: spoiler pack

Apparently there's a cup spoiler pack where you can get a deeper front spoiler and a larger rear roof spoiler... I can't remember how many british pounds it costs, but it seems a little bit pointless to me anyway... The cup suspension sounds nice though, although some will argue that it probably isn't noticeable...

GTI124 said:
Long hours at the wheel with or without cruise control can take some time to get used to. I know when I've been on my own I can start to fatigue within an hour on a road like the Hume. It's hard work watching the speedo! (I don't have cruise and want it!).
Ahhh, you guys are all soft. I remember those Webasto-enhanced nights in the rosso-corsa Fiat 500, the hand throttle at 'MAX', all four valves bouncing, the 'Krooklok' on the steering wheel as defacto autopilot, while I enjoyed a fitful snooze on the commodious rear bench after a particularly quenching summer's night.

'Take me home, Dino!' (burrrrrrrp-pffffffft) I used to say, emanating a smell not dissimilar to a Guinness Pizza, as I wrenched the throttle lever to its stop, like some power hungry airline captain unleashing the mighty turbine thrust of his quad Rolls-Royce aero engines...

GTI124 said:
Glad you pulled over, that's a safe thing to do. Long hours at the wheel with or without cruise control can take some time to get used to. I know when I've been on my own I can start to fatigue within an hour on a road like the Hume. It's hard work watching the speedo! (I don't have cruise and want it!).

As for my driving habits, I think we can both agree that excessive speed on roads where you do not see cars for hours has less of a risk than 100kph in the left lane during peak hour in the city. Sure, both are considered dangerous, but one action does have a lower risk to causing harm to others. Not that I'm condoning speeding, by all means.

then we both agree what we did was pretty stupid, sure what i did is more risky to others but it doesn't make you or anyone else that's driving at insane speeds a saint. It also doesn't mean we won't be stupid in the future, but I know I have been pretty slective lately, which is a good thing as the police is getting rich of me.

And like I said, i'm sensible. I normally fall asleep from 11 -1. Now if I drive out at ngiht again, I sleep during those times, at a stopping ofcourse.

No, I don't actually think my actions were stupid. I would not pass cars at those speeds, I would pass them at the speed limit in both directions. I would slow to the speed limit through towns. I would slow down significantly on corners. I would slow down if conditions were variable. But if you've ever driven the Hay plains, you'll know exactly what most of us talk about when we say we're driving on clear, open, flat, straight roads.

Stuey, that's classic. When I headed out on my hoiday to Adelaide and Melbourne a few months back, I was fatiguing pretty quickly. After a day of driving I adjusted and driving for long hours was no problem at all. It takes a mindset similar to meditation to ensure you don't get tired. Well, that's my trick anyway.

storms_of_fate said:
you forgot to put OT for OFF TOPIC on this one pal.

I didn't forget to do anything of the sort. Perhaps you should read again what I wrote on that subject, I didn't endorse the OT thing at all. Actually I thought it was pretty stupid. It was never going to work, and you yourself even chose to ignore it.

As for staying awake while driving, I like to drive at near the double the speed limit with one hand on the wheel and yell "Woooohooooo" like the highway cowboy I am.

Of course, I'm very sensible when I'm doing this.