Clio intake discussion

brenno

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
We lost an interesting thread in the forum mixup over the weekend.

I'm still interested to see whether there are any worthwhile benefits in replacing the standard intake setup. It's quiet, it sounds great, it provides a steady stream of torque, and it's warranted by the factory. How can it be improved?

I read on the Clio list that Karl Yuan has had his BMC doobie fitted, which yielded a 3 kilowatt gain at the wheels, at the expense of some low-midrange torque. Sounds fantastic, how much did that cost again?

Grant, did you manage to gather some flow stats for the standard setup?

macquered said:

I'm still interested to see whether there are any worthwhile benefits in replacing the standard intake setup. It's quiet, it sounds great, it provides a steady stream of torque, and it's warranted by the factory. How can it be improved?

I read on the Clio list that Karl Yuan has had his BMC doobie fitted, which yielded a 3 kilowatt gain at the wheels, at the expense of some low-midrange torque. Sounds fantastic, how much did that cost again?

Yes, good point. A smallish peak power gain is hardly worth sacrificing mid range.

Here's there dyno chart from Karls run showing before and after runs when fitting the BMC magic pipe.

Attachments

• clio_dynoBMC.jpg
    clio_dynoBMC.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 198
macquered said:
Here's there dyno chart from Karls run showing before and after runs when fitting the BMC magic pipe.

Do u know where he ducted the intake.... I dont think it will make a difference on the dyno but on the road i think it will...

Great to see an improvement over the standard..... Got sum pics of the set up, luv to see them.....

macquered said:

Hello all,

Iam half way through doing it had a few engine changes to do so i didnt get to finish it but iam working on it. Iam going to see if i can borrow :rolleyes: the testing equipment for the weekend so i can test it at different speeds and temps . But its going well. Not really any hard evidence either way yet but iam sure ill have some soon. Maybe i could test a few frogs to see what best stockie or aftermarket. One thing i did find was there was a hell of alot of turbulant air around the base of the box. With a bit of DREMEL cutting hopefullf can get rid of it and get a nice smooth flow. :)

Grant :renault:

storms_of_fate said:

Looks nice Karl! Feels great looks great sounds great... what more can u ask for....
Karl was the car dyno'd with the bonnet up or down....??
Wher they ducted it to is wher originally i ducted my Viper set up...Thought about it then wondered its still gonna suck air from the engine bay. I looked at the situation and thought to myself, i spent good money might as well do it properly, 'duct it to the front'. Had to go buy more pipping... dont get the airconditioning stuff ... spend a bit more and get the good stuff.... heat resistance one used for cars... got 2 mtrs... $$35 a mtr, expensive plastic shit!! After taking the whole bumper off and the left head light(looks expensive didnt want to drop that) also losing the left fog light and all afternoon it was finally done... :D As much cold air its ever gonna get....!!
U must be thinking what happens when it rains... well with the viper u can easily unplug it right after the filter... so when its pooring outside, b4 i leave i quickly unplugg it.... and when it starts raining when im driving, well i just try not to rev it over 3K....
Will post up some pics next time when i get hold of a camera!!!

All my friends call me the "The One Eyed Monster" after they saw this red eye instead of a fog light...!!! :headbang:

Keep us updated with ur next move!!! Good Luck :cheers:

winnie said:
Yes, good point. A smallish peak power gain is hardly worth sacrificing mid range.

As said in the other forum...
Power was lost @ 60km/h in 4th...

If you want power from mods, then all i think you should be concerned heaps about is 4,000rpm & above, cause once you get outta first thats all you ever see!!!

And yes i know 0-100 & 1/4 mile needs a solid 0-7,250 RM, but RS Clio's arent drag cars, they're track cars

RCS 20L: you have way too much time on your hands :) I think i'll leave it as it is, I dont' want to lose the fog light over it is all, although i could make it to be just behind the grill, but... rain and stuff is a concern. I'm not after the perfect solution, somethign good enough is okay, if i were after the perfect solution I'd go all the way on each mod, and leave the car for track use only. but good to see you are dedicated, very good to see! :cheers:

Now, I think the spot light will turn to Mr Foxman when he gets his fitted and tested, should get much more indepth results then me, and we all love to see those Grant.

Also Josh @ Oz Clio got one of those indash meter thingos and he's goign to do his own run, love to see those figures, not sure how accurate they are but from gtech's web site, they claim to be very very accurate.