Classic Citroen Club Of Queensland

gilberthenry said:
2. To be a member:-

Members must own one of the following:-

Any Citroen up to 1975. Exceptions are CX, GS, 2CV, SM. If question as to why, would be that they were in the planning stage before Citroen was sold.
To be totally frank & honest, I find the whole idea quite offensive. I am appalled that somebody would even think that my Pluriel is not a "true" Citroen, worth of being driven alongside a 2CV. It is one of the most innovative cars released for decades (possibly with the exception of the C4) following the true Citroen tradition. Pluriels in years to come are likely to have the same cult-ish following as the 2CV (or dare I even mention the DS in the same sentence?).

I figure, if the club is going to exclude cars like Pluriels from their ranks, then the whole thing is very soon going to disappear in a ferric oxide coloured puff of smoke.

(Can I put my soapbox away now?)

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that it is such a good idea to split a club up.
Here in England, we have the CCC uk. There are sub-sections WITHIN that club not only for each geographical area, but also for model type.
Now each of these sub-sections can have events, and rallies....and you are made to feel welcome even if like me, you turn up at a D rally, in a CX. In fact, even when I turn up to an event in my ZX (which is really a peugeot 306 in disguise) I've never been made to feel I didn't belong there.
Where I live in the south west of England, if I want to attend a citroen rally, or monthly meeting, I have at least a 200km drive each way, as there is nothing near me going on at the moment.
Appart from the south west, all the other sub-sections are quite vibrant, but the important thing is, no matter if you have a traction avant, or a C3.....they are all under the big umbrella of the CCC, and if you are an enthusiast, you are welcome! john s

JamesII said:
To be totally frank & honest, I find the whole idea quite offensive. I am appalled that somebody would even think that my Pluriel is not a "true" Citroen, worth of being driven alongside a 2CV. It is one of the most innovative cars released for decades (possibly with the exception of the C4) following the true Citroen tradition. Pluriels in years to come are likely to have the same cult-ish following as the 2CV (or dare I even mention the DS in the same sentence?).

I figure, if the club is going to exclude cars like Pluriels from their ranks, then the whole thing is very soon going to disappear in a ferric oxide coloured puff of smoke.

(Can I put my soapbox away now?)

Amen to that! :headbang: :headbang: :banana: :banana:

gilberthenry said:
A suggestion (by John Paas) that could be brought up at the next meeting of the Citroen Car Club of Queensland.

1.Name change:-

CLASSIC CITROEN CLUB OF QUEENSLAND (CCCQ)

2. To be a member:-

Members must own one of the following:-

Any Citroen up to 1975. Exceptions are CX, GS, 2CV, SM. If question as to why, would be that they were in the planning stage before Citroen was sold.

3. Anyone is welcome at meetings.

4. No cars other than above are elligible on club runs.

A suggestion, yours sincerely John Paas.

John, I reckon you're going about this the wrong way. If you want a club that excludes certain models of Citroen,why not start your own? You can make it anything you like. "Queensland Owners of Citroens, built before 1975 with square door handles, built on Tuesdays before 1 pm, owned by people with an S in their surname & who live at street numbers between 39 and 77 Club" If as you yourself admit the club is fine why agravate fellow Citroen owners by makig such a suggestion in the first place. You say you don't want to start another club, but to exclude so many Citroen owners/admirers from the existing club would change it to the extent that it is a new club. I don't own a Citroen but I am in the process of buying one,a Xantia or Xsara. I may join a club to find like minded people that appreciate the marque, thats also why this forum exists isn't it??? If I do join a club, at the first sign of Citroen snobs I'll give it away & enjoy my car on my own. I recently went to the All French car day here in Adelaide, Citroens from D's to Xsaras, Peugeots from 203's to 405's, Renaults from R4's to Meganes, Simcas and a Facel Vega & a vintage model I've never heard of before. Everyone sitting around in a park at the national motor museum proudly displaying their cars & enjoying each others company. Seemed to me to be what a club should be.
Dom

slough40 said:
The comment by Alan S regarding the club being "too cliquey" may be true, but I am sure that this problem exists in the majority of clubs regardless of what sort of club it is.(Is Alan S a member of CCCQ?)

Brian Wade

Brian,

I am not a member any longer as I terminated my membership a few years ago for the very reasons I have mentioned and to be honest, I also have met several other ex members who still drive Cits but prefer not to associate for basically the same reasons.
As I said, I have many more friends in the NSW club than in Queensland and that has to tell you something seeing as I'm almost 4 hours north of Brisbane.
I agree that the problem exists in all kinds of clubs and I have had a fairly heavy commitment to several clubs over the years from auto clubs, to motor sporting clubs, musical associations, various sporting clubs, school committees even a community radio station (that's where industrial strength egos hang out) and as a result I feel that I can offer an opinion and that's all it is, my opinion but based on personal experience and observations from others.
Personally, I think John has put into words what so many in that club have thought for years; my 'fart in a phone box' comment now takes relevance when anyone with a car later than about '78 thinks about joining. In my days, I was one of the 'lepers' in a CX. Today it sounds like I could be "in" but only just.
I repeat, look at your membership over the past 20 years and compare that with the number of Cits on the road then and now and see if the membership has grown even proportionally; you and I both know it hasn't and I think John has to be commended on trying to invigorate its fortunes but unfortunately has highlighted the problem as the solution.

Alan S :2cents:

some new blood

It has been an interesting two days. It has shown me that there are many passionate Citroen owners out there.
What brought this up originally is that one or two of the committee of the CITROEN CAR CLUB OF QUEENSLAND made pleas about "who will be our next editor". Our club has maybe 120 members. Of these there might be 10 -30 who go to meetings and outings (a probably highly exsagurated (god, am I becoming one of those old cronies?), anyway, let's be optimistic,---- there hasn't been a magazine since August. Okay I thought, what is the answer.
I think this has been a positive exercise. I get some flak but that's not new as I ask for it.
And so we have all these VERY PASSIONATE CITROEN OWNERS out there.But if all these PASSIONATE CITROEN OWNERS sit on their bums in front of computers instead of going to meetings and outings and helping on committees what are the clubs good for. I cannot speak for the club as I haven't been to a meeting for about a year. I drive only Citroens and am passionate as ever but I've lost interest in the clubs.
I don't really want to start yet another club. I was simply thinking that if a club needed an injection of fun I could help to do it. My original post has brought out some passionate responses which is great but if all those PASSIONATE CITROEN OWNERS don't bother doing anything about it I will probably raise it again one day. I said at one stage that we're in a computer age. Is there any GENUINE INTEREST OUT THERE FROM FELLOW CITROEN OWNERS to work the ins and outs of a club. I've been there.
I've definitely touched the nerve of some passionate owners but it you owners don't bother being in a committee or getting off your bums I don't think your view is much worth it on a CLUB'S point of view. You are part of the members of sites like this. And what magic it is as we have seen but will this help the clubs or will the same old cronies have to do the hard yakka while you passionate Citroen owners whinge because I've hurt your feelings rather than support the clubs and DO A BIT OF THE HARD YAKKA.

THERE HAS TO BE NEW BLOOD.
If there is no new blood I'll say it again :-
drive real Citroens, get the odd spanner out and get a bit dirty, drag cars out of the back paddocks ‘cause there the only cars that meet that fu—ing awful criteria, get heaps of people on runs having a great time and have all these interstaters saying that that’s just not on.-------- Oh for a perfect world ---- run by, -- better not be me,

------ and so my way is not the right way as we have seen but if none of you passionate lot actually DO anything constructive then my way might be better than watching clubs go down the plughole. My retrograde step might be necessary as maybe only the “old cronies are willing to do the hard yakka” while the rest do the talking and enjoying in other ways than a Citroen Car Club. And I don't mean just turning up at an event 3 times a year.
So we’ll see. The CITROEN CAR CLUB OF QUEENSLAND might not be any the wiser if we keep this between ourselves. The next 2nd TUESDAY of THE MONTH meeting room will be filled WITH NEW BLOOD REARING TO GO and I’ll be at home thinking that I’ve done some good in this everchanging world.

John Paas.

gilberthenry said:
And so we have all these VERY PASSIONATE CITROEN OWNERS out there.But if all these PASSIONATE CITROEN OWNERS sit on their bums in front of computers instead of going to meetings and outings and helping on committees what are the clubs good for. I cannot speak for the club as I haven't been to a meeting for about a year. I drive only Citroens and am passionate as ever but I've lost interest in the clubs.
Maybe the you (or the club) need to embrace the electronic age rather than pooh-poohing it.

Think outside the box (no... not the advertising slogan)!

Imagine online meetings and a mag that is distributed as an emailed PDF rather than paper (or downloaded from the web site). It would them mean that physical meetings could be reduced to focusing on the cars rather than club machinations. That is, meetings would only be needed for fun runs, outings and show & shine events.

Suddenly, sitting on your bum in front of a computer can become active involvement. (By the way, were you standing up while typing your original post?) :joker:

Personally, my biggest problem is taking time out from raising kids, maintaining a house and work to attend a club meeting (plus travel time to and from) is a barrier in this busy day and age. I bet this is the underlying issue for dozens of would-be-involved Citroen fanatics like me.

(Didn't I say I was putting the soapbox away in my last post?)

In my case to get to a club meeting I would need to travel to the other side of Melbourne from Ballarat ... As you could imagine, it aint going to happen ... To get the 2+hours to the club meeting that starts at 7:30 ??? I'd have to leave work early and start driving ... Then get home at 11:00 ??? at night :confused: :confused:

Or I could jump on Aussiefrogs and talk to like minded enthusiests from ALL OVER THE WORLD and share thought/suggestions about car repairs from home.... HHHHmmmmmm ..... what would you do :rolleyes:

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
In my case to get to a club meeting I would need to travel to the other side of Melbourne from Ballarat ... As you could imagine, it aint going to happen ... To get the 2+hours to the club meeting that starts at 7:30 ??? I'd have to leave work early and start driving ... Then get home at 11:00 ??? at night :confused: :confused:

Or I could jump on Aussiefrogs and talk to like minded enthusiests from ALL OVER THE WORLD and share thought/suggestions about car repairs from home.... HHHHmmmmmm ..... what would you do :rolleyes:

seeya,
Shane L.

So has Shane L finally got us to the root of the problem? Clubs have been a traditional way to meet people with a similar interest/hobby. Are they dominated by older people who like doing things the traditional way? Certainly my experience of one particular club has been this. Meetings are dull as the proverbial with endless readings of minutes blah blah blah. The internet is an in formal yet fantastic source of info on any topic you choose to name. One has only to read the threads to see that all the good things that happen in a club, swapping info, drive days, technical info etc can happen via the a forum without reading minutes discussing the quality of the jam on the scones etc.ie all the boring stuff. John Paas, why do you need to change the CCCQ or form a new club just contact those that think like you & do your own thing? You are right about the passion of Citroen owners I've been surprised at the level of it since joinig in this forum. You don't need people doing "hard yards" in a club to harness or enjoy this passion. Just speak up or type up?? (You know what I mean.)

Dom

I must just say that all this has been quite interesting. Please take my criticisms, not too seriously, as you were good to put up with my ravings. You're not such a bad bunch, so I am thankful to all who replied.
Sincerely, John Paas.

Hi fellow Citroenists

John, you say you need "new blood" and that is all well and good but as long as they're driving old cars!! :crazy: (That is the crazy symbol in case you're not up with it yet!) ha, ha just joking around.
But seriously John, while all that meeting stuff may be vital it sounds like you need to get out man and drive your car... and organise more activities.
How good would it be to see QLD clubs organise a few drive days!? It could also be advertised on Aussiefrogs and include any kind of Citroen they wish. :banana:
It doesn't matter who comes along as you can always organise specific days that exlude PSA models, as well as open days that include all Citroen.
I spend a fair bit of time on this forum as it is alive with activity, heaps of information and loads of helpful french car fanatics. :dance:
Aussiefrogs doesn't need boring meetings and purist exclusion..waffle ...quaff....waffle. :mad: In fact I wonder why you would put such a thread up on a shared forum,don't you know most of us own post '75 Cits and aren't afraid of sharing ideas with Peugeot owners?:confused:
If this is the computer age as you say then I reckon sometime in the future forums like these may be a much more effective way of running a club and getting people together. :chase: mmm just a thought and perhaps not well thought out sorry Craig your club is awesome (read following unpaid script!)
By the way, I am a new member of CCCNSW and think it's a great club with excellent monthly mag, cheap LHM, additional forum etc,etc...so I do see there are benefits of a well supported club.
It is that way because it welcomes all Citroen owners, whether or not we think a C5 is a real Citroen or not( I reckon it is and if I wasn't a poor student I would love to own one). I may own a C5 one day and feel proud that it still is different to anything on the road! :eek:
O.K. there's my 2c :2cents: and hope that someone brings a BX along to their first drive day as a form of non-aggressive protest! :2xmiddle: :citplak:
Bonjour, Andy

When I started aussiefrogs I never meant it to replace the clubs, only enhance them, hence having the club register page which has been there since day 1.
If it wasn't aussiefrogs it would have been something else similar, started by someone else, because there was a genuine need to bring people together.
It's great to have support if something goes wrong with our cars & with the power of the internet & our database we can search previous discussions instantly as we all know :)

Gerry.

Also I received the following from Peter F who wanted me to include this in the discussion:

May I as an unregistered user of aussie-frogs put in a contribution to the debate of a possible new club in Queensland?

Without too many details, first I acknowledge with great respect the Citroën enthusiasts around the nation, doing so much for other Citroën people, members or not members of clubs. Time changes everyday, bringing new Citroën models into light and why not welcome these cars and their people to the already fascinating Citroën family. Let’s create a win-win situation for all and move forward to the next corner stone for Citroën cars enthusiasts in Australia. Create a new nation wide Citroën car club without any disrespect for existing clubs. One hat where all past and newer Citroëns owners share the same passion.

In short:

Nation wide Citroën car club all Citroëns welcome

1 national magazine (internet magazine)

1 forum for debate (aussie-frogs)

Service and Part register for all Citroëns

Technical section

Ambassadors (technical expertise) for each model from first to last model

Event calendar: Cit-in, world meetings, raids etc

Citroën sport

Citroën media

Citroëns for sale

Citroën flee market

+ All other things not mentioned here.

Conclusion:

One strong Australian Citroën network, for all models and people. Aim to eliminate the boring political side of club meetings, keep the social aspect and the Citroën cars as a bridge amongst people. None of the above will ever happen without support.

Quote: Only people starting a revolution can change the future?

Peter Fosselius
[font=&quot][/font]

Great recent run

It was fabulous on my recent run to Canberra to meet again with so many 'cronies' both new and old who were so welcoming, and supportive of my (& my family's) interest in citroens. It didn't seem to matter what State or club they were from & most were represented. Indeed - the best drive yet for me, through fantastic country. A huge thank you to the organisers and all participants. Reading the thread above is not that much fun, really. My policy on email forever will be, if I feel like going for the jugular, desist until the feeling passes. There's nothing wrong with making a suggestion (John's was measured as far as I can tell ). And nothing wrong with disagreeing with the suggestion. But a little moderation would be good. Avoid the polemic, chase the philosophy.

Last edited:
Some of these small clubs get a bit too, how shall we say, "inbred" for me.

We should have more tri-club get togethers. That would sure boost the numbers.